Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BC fans - can you talk about what to expect re Smaug mo-cap perfomance?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 2:29pm

Post #1 of 36 (756 views)
Shortcut
BC fans - can you talk about what to expect re Smaug mo-cap perfomance? Can't Post

This question got triggered by Boyens comparing BC to Serkis' Gollum performance - but for those like myself who are not real familiar with Benedict C., can
you describe him a bit? Is he a real "physical" guy, and/or does he have movement traits that you think will really add to the mo-cap of Smaug (e.g., some
people move gracefully, naturally)

One think that strikes me about Serkis, he seems to be amazingly flexible, catlike. But BC - the voice, face, yes - but I don't even know if he is a tall guy
or not. Thanks for any opinions and comments!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 36 (463 views)
Shortcut
There is a brief clip in the AUJ EE appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the appendices for the extended edition of AUJ, they show a brief clip of BC doing mo-cap work, literally slithering around on the ground. It is extremely impressive (at least I think so). It's probably what I am most looking forward to in this upcoming film.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 2:56pm

Post #3 of 36 (427 views)
Shortcut
Can't remember which one said it or where... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but either Boyens or Jackson said that Benedict Cumberbatch was doing things in his mo-cap performance that they'd not even thought possible for a human being.

And as has been stated, you can catch a quick glimpse of Cumberbatch at work in the EE Appendices.

Very much looking forward to seeing his performance. I already love the voice.

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 36 (396 views)
Shortcut
Benedict is an amazing actor and I can't wait to see his Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW he's 6 foot tall. I remember reading a lengthy article/interview in a British paper that spent some time with him. At one point they asked him about his portrayal as Smaug, and they said he went into a transformation that was amazing to see. (He studied the movements of Komodo dragons for the part.) And he's one of the best voice actors around. I think Smaug is going to be incredible.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 3:41pm

Post #5 of 36 (408 views)
Shortcut
there's this if you want to see him get his Smaug on.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/...-hobbit-star-2484070

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 4:33pm

Post #6 of 36 (365 views)
Shortcut
One of the best actors of this time [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the Cumberbatch! He is a superb and very well-rounded actor. He's a chameleon as far as taking on different roles go and is absolutely brilliant. Also, very humble person which makes him all the more genuine and favorable.

The small amount of behind the scenes times we got to see him in on AUJ was enough to convince me he'll make a magnificent Smaug. The faces he makes and the physicality he put into bringing him to life is unbelievable. He once said about creating Smaug,

"It�s very freeing, once you put the suit on and the sensors. I�ve never felt less encumbered, actually," Cumberbatch says of the stint as a motion-capture dragon. "You just have to lose yourself on a carpeted floor, in a place that looks a little bit like a mundane government building."

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 16 2013, 8:31pm)

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Nov 14 2013, 4:41pm

Post #7 of 36 (347 views)
Shortcut
BC [In reply to] Can't Post

Ben is a very physical actor. Beyond being in really good shape, which he is, he is 1.83 meters tall (6 foot even), has a long neck, straight backed, and has a regal bearing. He has a gaunt and expressive face. He is excellent at playing intelligent and arrogant characters (smaug!). He is frightful when angry. If you want to see a scene of Ben going off all angry and shaky check out the Sherlock episode The Hounds of Baskerville. Sherlock is sitting in front of a fire, shaken by recent events. Watson tries to comfort him and Sherlock gets furious. It's a wonderful scene and perfectly acted by the pair.

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 5:33pm

Post #8 of 36 (320 views)
Shortcut
The good thing about mocap is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that you do not just get the facial expressions but you get an actor, not a CG artist or the director alone to decide when the being moves, how and why.

Phillippa commented on that in the SFX article too.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 5:55pm

Post #9 of 36 (291 views)
Shortcut
Thank you everybody!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched the EE appendices yet, as it's a lot and want to watch several hours at a time at least. Will check out the suggestions but now I'm even more psyched
for this film (where are those paper bags?) Not that the brief glimpses of Smaug hadn't excited me already, but the thought of seeing Smaug full-on in DOS, with
movement, got me to thinking about watching a dragon move - love that BC studied Komodo dragon movement - that's perfect.

What a cast these movies have (I also love that MF and BC are gonna have that chemistry, even if they were not filming one-on-one together, I firmly believe
that a comfort level with your fellow actors trickles down into the performances - e.g. better chemistry. Even if it's antagonistic chemistry.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 36 (304 views)
Shortcut
I've never got all the love for Cumberbatch. [In reply to] Can't Post

He appeared out of nowhere, and now everyone loves him. My god ... it sounds a bit like Annatar. Shocked

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 6:17pm

Post #11 of 36 (290 views)
Shortcut
He came out of nowhere, [In reply to] Can't Post

and now everyone loves him? What does this mean? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 6:29pm

Post #12 of 36 (273 views)
Shortcut
He came out of nowhere? Where were you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict's been acting for a long time, and has been in many good things - plays and films and television and radio. Look at his performance bio and you'll see. It's just that a lot of people have not been acquainted with him until the last Star Trek movie. He was well respected by his fellow actors before the latest flurry of activity about him started. And he's recently been in some very high profile films which are being released in the same year, so that makes it look like he's an instant celebrity. Well, okay the celebrity part is very recent. But he's always been well respected as an actor long before this.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 6:39pm

Post #13 of 36 (255 views)
Shortcut
As noted above... [In reply to] Can't Post

he has been acting for a long time. I absolutely love him, and Martin Freeman, in Sherlock. His first major movie role I believe was Star Trek, so in that sense I guess the amount of people who now notice him has skyrocketed...but it makes him no less a brilliant actor Smile I'm sure when the Hobbit fans who aren't too familiar with him yet will grow to love him soon enough.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 6:41pm

Post #14 of 36 (261 views)
Shortcut
Well, he certainly wasn't a household name (in the UK) until Sherlock came out. [In reply to] Can't Post

And ever since then, he's everywhere. Literally. His career has catapulted since 2009-2010. That's all I meant to say. Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 6:59pm

Post #15 of 36 (246 views)
Shortcut
First saw him in Hawking (2004). [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved it. Rightly nominated for a BAFTA for Best Actor for the title role.

My wife loved him as William Pitt the Younger in Amazing Grace (2006).

Took him almost a whole decade to become an overnight success.

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-JRR Tolkien

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 7:11pm

Post #16 of 36 (244 views)
Shortcut
Weeeeeelll........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Richard Armitage, "I don't get out much"Cool. And I didn't know who HE was either (but boy, I do now........*thud*). For myself, I'm U.S. - and unlike many folks, tho I have cable,
I'm not a tech person, so I don't stream this and that. Movies - I either go to them, or it may be months after a release before I see them. Actually I might be running the TV,
but I'm READING my Kindle so not even paying attention. (Tho now I'm dying to see Sherlock partly because of the cast, and partly because I've heard so many good things.)

So I can see where it would seem BC "came out of nowhere" - so did RA for me (then you find out in the UK they are hardly coming out of nowhere - and probably the rest
of Europe....Great, the UK sends the U.S. superb actors, and we send Europe "Baywatch" LOL. Well, OK, we did have the Sopranos. And I guess Game of Thrones
is "from the U.S." being an HBO series)*
*Joking here so plz U.S. folks don't flame - I know we have George ClooneyEvil and the rest of the Hollywood A-list.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 7:38pm

Post #17 of 36 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'm making a point to [In reply to] Can't Post

see all the movies he was in; me and my other half want to make a week out of it. I've never been interested in Star Trek EVER, but my best friend who also has never seen Star Trek said Benedict is superb in the new one, so I'll give it a shot. I wish I had known about him a long time ago. Sites like Tumblr tend to get scary obsessed over certain things and BC is one of them, so I think that's also partly where the seemingly sudden BC fame came from.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 7:40pm

Post #18 of 36 (218 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

is genius (both the show and character), and it's a relatively fast watch. Right now there are only 2 seasons, 3 episodes per season. Season 3 is coming out in the U.S in January and the U.K doesn't have a date yet, but they are guessing New Years. Anyway, the episodes are about an hour and a half long each, so really you could finish both seasons in one day. I absolutely cannot wait for season 3 Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 8:21pm

Post #19 of 36 (192 views)
Shortcut
Dunkirk (2004) and To The Ends of the Earth (2005) [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are a couple of BBC mini-series he is very impressive in, though in Dunkirk he's only in the last third.

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-JRR Tolkien

patrickk
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 8:28pm

Post #20 of 36 (187 views)
Shortcut
A Few Well regarded Movies and TV [In reply to] Can't Post

...as well as Sherlock he was a key part in an ensemble in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (clean cut guy with no creepy voices), not to mention Star Trek (creepy voice there), so not exactly out of no-where.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 8:42pm

Post #21 of 36 (188 views)
Shortcut
I call it The Luke Fitzwilliam Effect [In reply to] Can't Post

because that "Murder Is Easy" episode of Miss Marple (2008) did it for me. I didn't know who he was before, but I remembered him after that! He just had...something. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Username4242
Bree

Nov 14 2013, 8:57pm

Post #22 of 36 (177 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, he was superb as Stephen Hawking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing him play Hawking's deterioration shows the incredible degree of subtlety he can put into a performance. Tiny, minute details in voice and physicality.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2013, 9:11pm

Post #23 of 36 (164 views)
Shortcut
We're watching "To the Ends of the Earth" now [In reply to] Can't Post

...slowly, as we're getting it via Netflix discs. we've only seen the first 2-3 episodes but it's quite good so far and he's quite good in it. He's doing a great job of making the transition from a naive upper crust youth to a more worldly adult. I can't wait to see the rest of it! I'll have to keep a lookout for "Dunkirk." That would be right up B.G.s ally for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 9:54pm

Post #24 of 36 (154 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And ever since then, he's everywhere. Literally. His career has catapulted since 2009-2010. That's all I meant to say. Smile

Though I note SPJ seems to have an eye for finding such actors it seems. To his (and our) benefit! I'm intrigued by this input on his mo-cap work. I love and respect passion for one's work so much and he sounds like he has that.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 9:56pm

Post #25 of 36 (143 views)
Shortcut
Is "To The Ends of the Earth"... [In reply to] Can't Post

The one set in the 19th century and set on a ship bound for Australia? I think it had Paul McGann (or one of the McGann brothers) in it also. BC's character starts off quite priggish and, as you say naïve. He becomes more likeable as he goes through more trials, as I seem to remember.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.