Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Home Port:
The strongest in Middle Earth

Elskidor
Rigger

Nov 14 2013, 1:49pm

Post #1 of 8 (313 views)
Shortcut
The strongest in Middle Earth Can't Post

Who do you think the strongest 3 to 5 (in order) characters were of each race during the third age. Dwarf, Elf, Orc/Goblin, etc. If you wanna separate it by a movies list to book list that's fine too. Some characters in the movies were much stronger looking than originally written, imo.

Darkstone
Captain

Nov 14 2013, 3:10pm

Post #2 of 8 (216 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves:

Ecthelion of the Fountain:

Think Monty Python and the Holy Grail’s Black Knight, only fighting four balrogs instead of one King Arthur. Ecthelion killed four balrogs successively, in the process losing his shield arm, his sword arm, and finally killing the last one by head-butting him in the chest with the spike on his helmet. If the helmet spike hadn’t gotten stuck and caused Ecthelion him to fall over a cliff with the last balrog I bet he could have killed a fifth by gnawing its ankles off.

Legolas:

He was as tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able to swiftly draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgul, endowed with the tremendous vitality of elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.
-Book of Lost Tales 2, The History of Eriol or Aelfwine

(This actually provides some justification for the Cave Troll Hopping, Legolas’ Leap, Shield Surfing, and Orliphaunt sequences.)

Cirdan:

Because chopping down enough trees and building enough ships to send the whole freaking population of Middle-earth’s Elves to Valinor just naturally builds massive muscles.

Dwarves:

Gimli:

Because, hey, he’s The Dwarf! (Did you know he's Chuck Norris' role model?)

Thráin II:

Captured and personally tortured by Sauron himself for five long years, he still was strong enough to resist revealing the key and the map to the Lonely Mountain. That’s strong.

Dain Ironfoot:

Died in battle at the unheard of age of 252, still wielding his battle-axe and cleaving dozens of enemies during a rearguard action. Imagine when he was younger.

Orcs:

Old Ufthak:

He, er, “hung around” in Shelob’s lair for days and still had the energy to glare at his fellow orcs who eventually found him, then left him hanging.

Uglúk:

Because leaders have to be strong, especially if they’re leading Uruks.

Shagrat:

Same, except he’s leading orcs.

Hobbits:

Bandobras Took for inventing golf.

Men:

Beren for Beren’s Leap.

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-JRR Tolkien

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 14 2013, 3:17pm)

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Nov 14 2013, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 8 (187 views)
Shortcut
Reverend, on the "strongest Elf" [In reply to] Can't Post

Some months ago I wrote a post in memory of Reverend, a beloved TORn regular until his untimely death 10 years ago. He memorably addressed a question as to whether Legolas was "the greatest fighting Elf". You may take this as a nomination of the 10 strongest Elves:

Not nearly. —Reverend—

He's not even in sight of the top ten. My ranking;

1. Feanor; held off several Balrogs for some unspecified, but prolonged, time in single combat. And besides, he's just #1 in everything.

2. Fingolfin. Feanor's brother. Fought Morgoth one-on-one before the gates of Angband. Sure, he died, but would YOU mess with the guy who is the reason the Devil is lame?

3. Ecthelion. This one could be argued, but the Lord of the Fountain of Gondolin took down Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs WITH TWO BROKEN ARMS.

4. Finrod Felagund. Took on Sauron in magical combat. He lost, but made it respectable. Then when a werewolf came to eat Beren while they were chained to a wall, Finrod broke his chains and killed the thing barehanded. I don't see Leggy-poo even trying that trick.

5. Maedhros. Son of Feanor, we don't have many records of his great deeds, but he's got to go in here somewhere. The greatest warrior of the Sons of Feanor, he lost his right hand, but became equally dangerous with his left.

6. Gil-Galad. With his Spear Agilos, with Elendil and Narsil at his side, the High King was 'invincible.' Together, those two took down Sauron WITH THE RING.

7. Mablung of the Heavy Hand; could easily be swapped with #8 below, Mablung was Thingol Greycloak's enforcer for about fifteen thousand years.

8. Beleg Strongbow. The greatest tracker of all time, the most loyal friend, and the hair-tearing death scene. Thingol's left-hand man.

9. Glorfindel. Anybody who kills a Balrog deserves a spot. And dying doesn't disqualify, since EVERYBODY who fights a Balrog dies. Besides, he got better.

10. Turgon. For his heroics at the fall of Gondolin.

Below these ten you have the rest of the Sons of Feanor, and a truckload of other High Elves of the First Age (Including everybody whose name begins with 'Fin'). Gwindor of Nargothrond, led an ill-advised charge at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears that cut clean through the host of Morgoth, and BROKE THROUGH THE GATES OF ANGBAND. Cut off, captured, tortured, and enslaved, Gwindor survived, escaped, and made it cross-country back home. As Princes of the Noldor go, he's got to be considered a third-rater.

THEN you can start to think about Third Age folk. Gildor and his troop are Exiles. Do you realize what that means? It means they marched out of the Undying Lands and fought through the whole War of the Great Jewels AND EVERY WAR SINCE. And I am sure that High-Elven spear-carriers like Erestor in the House of Elrond wouldn't have to break stride to whomp a late-born Sinda like Legolas. Elrond himself is no doubt a heavy hitter, what with the blood of Beren and Tuor in the mix.

No, Legolas may be at the high end of the rankings among a rustic folk of a degenerate age, but he, like us all, can't hold a candle to the heroes of old.

Gandalf55
Lubber

Nov 14 2013, 9:13pm

Post #4 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
Strongest of the races [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course this subject is highly debatable (as is most middle earth conversation), and I only have time to do one or two of each race, so here it goes:

Elves: Either Legolas or Galadriel

Dwarves: Thorin and Gimli

Hobbits: Bilbo and Sam

Orcs: Not really a big fan of orcs, but I'll go with the Pale Orc from The Hobbit movies.

Wizards: Gandalf

Human/Mortal: Aragorn

Strongest of any race: Tom Bombadil

(I'm sorry for any typos or if any of these aren't from the third age, still a bit new at middle earth things)

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Nov 14 2013, 10:25pm

Post #5 of 8 (131 views)
Shortcut
Oops, forgot this was Third Age only! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only survivor from Reverend's list into the Third Age is Glorfindel, so I have to go with him for Elves. Galadriel's pretty tough, but never took on a balrog.

Aragorn has to win for Men, of course.

As for Dwarves, Gimli was certainly plenty tough, but so was Thorin.

And none of these characters hold up to the First Age heroes!

Elskidor
Rigger

Nov 14 2013, 10:56pm

Post #6 of 8 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, first age is tougher for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But for the third age...

As far as men are concerned, the Witch King claimed to be afraid of Boromir so I gather from that his swordsmanship must have been mightier than most. Eomer and Aragorn probably with Boromir.

I'd put Dain with Thorin and Gloin or Gimli.

Glorfindel, Gladriel and Elrond (That ring)

Azog and I suppose Bolg

Bullroarer Took, Sam and Bilbo

Gandalf of wizards

Elskidor
Rigger

Nov 15 2013, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 8 (86 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I may replace Bilbo, because I forgot he's not really a Hobbit. I'd definitely chose him as the toughest Burrahobbit though.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gunner

Nov 16 2013, 12:57am

Post #8 of 8 (94 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien wasn't the greatest fan of whoever was the best at things! [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of pure strength someone like the first Boromir might count, but he was slain by a Nazgul blade and rather slowly as well! Many of the Elves or Men of the first age who might well have been stronger in terms of might, did not live to happy ends. Saruman was possibly the wisest of the Wise in terms of knowledge, but he fell. And then you have the little Hobbits, who in terms of physics were not strong at all, but were able to resist temptations that those of much greater might could not.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.