Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Essay "The Physics of The Hobbit: Barrels out of Bond" by DwellerInDale

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Nov 14 2013, 5:19am

Views: 618
Shortcut
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Essay "The Physics of The Hobbit: Barrels out of Bond" by DwellerInDale Can't Post

Welcome to November 2013 TORn Amateur Symposium, the second TAS!

We are very pleased to present the next essay for TAS2:

"The Physics of The Hobbit: Barrels out of Bond"

Abstract:

This essay presents an analysis of one of the most iconic scenes in The Hobbit, the escape from the dungeons of the Woodland Realm. Bilbo Baggins, using his magic ring, is able to steal the keys to the dungeon cells and free the Dwarves. The company then escape by being packed into wooden wine casks and floating down the river toward Laketown.

In Tolkienís book, Bilbo packs each Dwarf into a wine barrel and seals the barrel with a lid. In The Desolation of Smaug, however, we know from previews that the barrels will be without lids, allowing us to see each of our characters as they negotiate the river and the rapids. This will undoubtedly produce a more visually exciting sequence than in the novel, but is it physically possible? Several members of TORn have criticized this scene on the basis of the physics. If the barrels have no lids, they argue, wonít they fill with water, causing them to sink and thus possibly drowning most of our main characters?

In Part One and Part Two of The Physics of The Hobbit I explained the basic physics of free fall, with and without air resistance. In this essay I will explain the basic physics of floating in water, including what happens to hollow objects when they fill with water. The concepts will then be applied to Barrels Out Of Bond.

To view the essay, please click on the link above.

Our authors have written essays and analyses that are concerned, in some way, with the legendarium of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. These essays may be philosophic opinions, scientific theories, or analytical approaches to understanding or highlighting some facet of Tolkien's writings and world. These pieces are written with the goal of amateur scholarship at their core - thus inspiring our Symposium title. Authors may choose to include citations or footnotes, but they are by no means required. Keeping in mind the dual spirit of enjoyment and inquiry that we believe in (as much as we value cheer and song), and which is of paramount important to both the TAS team and our authors, we fully encourage discussion of the essays presented.We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy posting it. The TAS is open for discussion, and any comments, questions or thought you wish to share about this essay can be posted in this response to this thread.

We have quite a full schedule of essays - essays will posted approximately every other day. The full schedule can be found

here.

So please, go forth and enjoy all of the works we have posted for this 2013 November Session. The entire TAS Team, (Elaen32, DanielLB and Brethil), is both delighted and proud to present the essays our TAS members have crafted, relating their interests and skills to the world of JRRT that we all love; a world most intricately crafted, and one that "takes hold of us, and never let's go."

Subject User Time
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Essay "The Physics of The Hobbit: Barrels out of Bond" by DwellerInDale TORn Amateur Symposium Send a private message to TORn Amateur Symposium Nov 14 2013, 5:19am
    Well done Dweller in Dale, another excellent read! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 14 2013, 1:37pm
        Thanks DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 14 2013, 2:27pm
            A feast for the senses Dweller! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 14 2013, 7:22pm
                Yes.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 14 2013, 9:20pm
            I imagine .... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 14 2013, 10:51pm
            Probably ballistics at least. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Nov 14 2013, 11:12pm
        Well Bilbo would not have had to worry Lightfoot Send a private message to Lightfoot Nov 14 2013, 4:08pm
            Drowning in the barrrels noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 14 2013, 4:56pm
                Stuck Inside (Small Clarification) DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 14 2013, 5:05pm
                    Thanks for that ! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 14 2013, 5:17pm
                Interesting question Furincurunir Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 14 2013, 9:26pm
                Great Idea! Lightfoot Send a private message to Lightfoot Nov 15 2013, 2:24pm
                    Who knew that physics was so much fun? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 15 2013, 4:19pm
                        Wait, Oiled dwarves? Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 6:15pm
                            Oiled dwarves noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 15 2013, 7:08pm
                                Oh! Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 7:42pm
                                    Only in our minds ;-) // Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 15 2013, 8:42pm
                                        Found it! Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 16 2013, 1:38am
                                            Perfect! Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 16 2013, 6:57am
                                            I have to admit ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 16 2013, 7:31am
    Awesome!!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Nov 14 2013, 2:32pm
        Thanks R DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 14 2013, 2:43pm
            Well......... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Nov 14 2013, 4:56pm
            As always.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 14 2013, 9:16pm
                I agree! I want to see all of this too... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 14 2013, 9:42pm
    Fascinating article, Dweller, and so meticulously written and diagrammed The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Nov 14 2013, 4:24pm
        Many variables in play... DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 14 2013, 4:37pm
            And there are still more variables... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 14 2013, 5:00pm
            So, The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Nov 14 2013, 5:10pm
                I don't think that Bilbo would be likely to capsize the barrel Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 15 2013, 6:35am
    Awesome!!! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Nov 14 2013, 5:47pm
    Can't argue with the physics! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 14 2013, 10:26pm
        I must be losing the plot, but... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 14 2013, 10:31pm
        All I can say is Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 14 2013, 11:29pm
            I'll third that idea. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 15 2013, 12:53am
                Well yes, we could do that too Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 15 2013, 3:11am
            That comment was just asking for trouble! ;-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 15 2013, 8:57am
                Yes, it was Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 15 2013, 7:13pm
    Cheers for all these interesting ideas DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 14 2013, 11:45pm
    Great stuff, Dweller! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Nov 15 2013, 1:24am
    Really interesting read, Dweller Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 15 2013, 3:41am
    Ah, I've been waiting for this since the last TAS... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 15 2013, 4:23am
        Thanks Silverlode DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 15 2013, 4:45am
    That was one of the most interesting Endor Dweller Send a private message to Endor Dweller Nov 15 2013, 7:17am
    Ok now this was cool. Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 2:18pm
        I actually didn't know they had such a museum DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 15 2013, 2:39pm
            For educational purposes only Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 2:56pm
            Presurrizing the barrel? Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 9:03pm
                Ah! The anachronistic bicycling policeman explained! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 15 2013, 9:45pm
                    C'mon now, I was trying to get back on track here... Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 15 2013, 9:53pm
                        Yes, it's interesting... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 15 2013, 9:59pm
                            Well, I have to admit Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 15 2013, 10:12pm
                            Who me? :) noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 15 2013, 10:13pm
                                Wait for TABA! sador Send a private message to sador Nov 17 2013, 11:48am
                                    No, I blame it on the boogie... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 17 2013, 12:10pm
                            Actually, Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Nov 16 2013, 2:46am
                                Correct DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 16 2013, 3:46am
                                    I was wondering if that were the case Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Nov 16 2013, 3:50pm
    Wonderfully lucid and entertaining explanation! Thanks. // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Nov 15 2013, 6:11pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.