Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Necromancers Voice

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 12:27pm

Post #1 of 18 (971 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancers Voice Can't Post

There have been speculations if and in which dimension the Necromancer will speak and if he is directly talking to Gandalf/Radagast or not… well in the latest Empire Magazine if found this interesting quote:

Together Radagast and Gandalf investigate the evil spirit known as the Necromancer - voiced, like Smaug, by Benedict Cumberbatch, though McKellen didn't know it at the time. "I don't think Benedict was even on board when we shot it. If there was a voice it was probably Peter Jackson speaking over his loud hailer. He can do all sorts of voices, Peter: Smaug, the Necromancer… but they all sound like Peter Jackson really"

So does that mean we'll here more than his whispering voice as in AUJ? What would you like to hear the Necromancer speak and especially what do you want him to sound like?

- Dark and powerful as in FOTRs Saurons voice "Build me an army worthy of Mordor!"
- Whispering and almost unclear as the LOTRs Rings and AUJs Necromancers voice? "Aragorn! Elessar…"

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 13 2013, 12:28pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 18 (451 views)
Shortcut
I think I would prefer the second option [In reply to] Can't Post

A whispering, sort of 'slithering' voice would sound more sinister than a deep and powerful voice like that used (very effectively) by Azog, for example.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 12:36pm

Post #3 of 18 (436 views)
Shortcut
And don't leave out Smaug ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like Saurons voice FOTR but I fear that especially both were voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch the audience might be confused by the similar voices…

The "slithering" voice is more unique I guess… while in LOTR there is no deep powerful voice (except perhaps the great one of Sir Christopher Lee)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 12:54pm

Post #4 of 18 (450 views)
Shortcut
I think Benedict Cumberbatch… [In reply to] Can't Post

could make Sauron and Smaug sound unique and different from each other. He's very good with that sort of thing.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 1:02pm

Post #5 of 18 (398 views)
Shortcut
Of course he can [In reply to] Can't Post

but if they're both in the same vocal range? Both deep, powerful voices? I think these would sound very similar even if you've got an actor like Cumberbatch.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 1:08pm

Post #6 of 18 (402 views)
Shortcut
That's why a 'thinner', more whispering voice for the Necromancer… [In reply to] Can't Post

would be better than a deep and loud one (as for Smaug)? I'm sure they'll make the two voices sound different from each other…

In Reply To
but if they're both in the same vocal range? Both deep, powerful voices? I think these would sound very similar even if you've got an actor like Cumberbatch.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 1:10pm

Post #7 of 18 (385 views)
Shortcut
That's out of question yes [In reply to] Can't Post

everything else would be unwise

Remus
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 18 (362 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Will talk for sure. 100% Benedict is credited as the Necromancers voice. So he will most definetly talk. I guess thats one of the things other fans will get it confirmed that it is Sauron.

As the voice will sound. I am good with both options. But maybe more to the "build me an army worthy of Mordor" and "There is no life in the void... Only... Death".

I hope they talk a lot. Gandalf and Sauron. Not just one sentence like "I AM SAURON! YOU WILL ALL DIE!". Unimpressed

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 3:12pm

Post #9 of 18 (298 views)
Shortcut
Maybe for a different type of movie or show [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not just one sentence like "I AM SAURON! YOU WILL ALL DIE!". Unimpressed

I heard sitcom laughter after I read that line for some reason.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 4:33pm

Post #10 of 18 (252 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why they didn't use the same voice from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Howard was the voice of the Ring/Sauron in LOTR. Peter should have got him back as his voice was perfect.

Remus
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 4:37pm

Post #11 of 18 (236 views)
Shortcut
I second that [In reply to] Can't Post

Saurons voice was AMAZING. Really good for a god and somehow fitted Sauron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXlVtk92HPo

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 18 (238 views)
Shortcut
Is it not because the Necromancer is "younger (as it were)" at this point? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is, after all, supposed to be Sixty Years Earlier than the Lord of the Rings - his voice perhaps was not a deep as it was... ur, I mean is in LOTR.

I actually don't know - but perhaps we should consider this...

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 5:03pm

Post #13 of 18 (232 views)
Shortcut
I hope he does a few of the "loud dark powerful" speeches [In reply to] Can't Post

but something tells me there will be more of that sinister "unclear whispering" like in AUJ

As a side-note ~ I had no idea the first few times I watched AUJ that he said "Radagast"

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 5:11pm

Post #14 of 18 (220 views)
Shortcut
Uh [In reply to] Can't Post

Spirits don't age......

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 10:25pm

Post #15 of 18 (127 views)
Shortcut
Sauron is older than Arda [In reply to] Can't Post

so I think that 60 years is nothing to him ;-)

Wandelf
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 10:32pm

Post #16 of 18 (130 views)
Shortcut
In the ROTK:EE [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a scene where Aragorn uses the Palantir against the will of Sauron. THAT voice is the one I want to hear in DOS. A voice of a "normal" male speaking foul things. Somehow I found that to be more chilling than yet another "deep and evil" voice we have heard soooo many times before.

(This post was edited by Wandelf on Nov 13 2013, 10:33pm)

Remus
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 10:40pm

Post #17 of 18 (112 views)
Shortcut
I think that is [In reply to] Can't Post

Elronds voice speaking on Arwens funeral. But if you mean the "ego gororo gingi" voice then it's probably Sauron. The darker voice. Smile

Wandelf
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 10:42pm

Post #18 of 18 (116 views)
Shortcut
Ah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't realized that was Elrond! Illusion shattered i guess Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.