Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why did Gandalf go to Isengard?

jordagorn
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 1:41am

Post #1 of 7 (374 views)
Shortcut
Why did Gandalf go to Isengard? Can't Post

It seems that once Radagast tells Gandalf that the Nine are abroad and searching for the Shire, he should have immediately gone back to guide Frodo. Instead he goes on to Isengard. The book gives a short explanation that maybe Saruman had weapons that would drive back the nine but that would hardly matter if they reached the ring first. How else to explain Gandalf's decision here that almost ends in ruin?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2013, 2:05am

Post #2 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut
Radagast was Saruman's messenger... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was sent to lure Gandalf to Isengard. I am sure he wanted some kind of help, and he counted on Butterbur and Frodo to follow his instructions. Aragorn was another player, so I think that Gandalf felt quite safe in leaving Frodo for a bit. He couldn't know his plans would go astray.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

Phantom
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 5:39pm

Post #3 of 7 (193 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he "had" to? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Saruman was the leader of the order, perhaps Gandalf felt he had to take counsel with him before taking action? Plus with Aragorn and the other Rangers guarding the Shire, he probably felt Frodo was safe for now.

And what do trees have to talk about? Hmm...except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 12:06am

Post #4 of 7 (214 views)
Shortcut
Elementary really: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Nov 16 2013, 12:48am

Post #5 of 7 (139 views)
Shortcut
It might have been a blessing in disguise! [In reply to] Can't Post

The thought has occurred to me that if Saruman had not been exposed to Gandalf, Gandalf might well have still considered him a friend at the time when the Fellowship departed from Rivendell. And, like when they travelled through Lorien, they might well have decided to go through Isengard, thinking Saruman an ally, in which case Saruman would have found the Ring!

sador
Half-elven

Nov 17 2013, 7:40am

Post #6 of 7 (129 views)
Shortcut
Now that was an eye-opener, and no mistake! // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:53am

Post #7 of 7 (153 views)
Shortcut
Probably Gandalf was also not expecting to be detained in Isenguard very long [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably Gandalf was also not expecting to be detained in Isenguard very long.

Of course, from a writerly point of view it gets Gandalf off the scene so he can't chaperone the hobbits and they have to work hard to get even as far as Rivendell. Gives us a suspenseful Book I and toughens them up for the trials ahead.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.