Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
After more careful investigation and thought than I care to admit to, why I increasingly believe Gandalf may indeed exit Dol GUldur in this film (Potential Spoiler)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 1:22am

Views: 949
Shortcut
After more careful investigation and thought than I care to admit to, why I increasingly believe Gandalf may indeed exit Dol GUldur in this film (Potential Spoiler) Can't Post

with a little help from his friend/kinspirit Radagast. . .

Just because for him NOT to escape on his own or with only Radagast and in this film is something, but far from enough when Gorka Morka Azog walks and lives and breathes and chases dwarves in the companionship of Bilbo throgh Eriador.

I have seen hopeful signs, and ominous ones, but as I carefully consider it, the hopeful ones are holding more weight.

My main point of refference? Radagast, pictures of Gandalf and Radagast on the way out of Dol Guldur proper, and very importantly, Lego sets, which while they often leave things and individuals out, are almost never all that far off in the events they depict, i.e., they generally do not introduce persons who were not present in the depicted scene, even if they leave out some who were, and they don't fabricate entire events. The Stones of Seeing do not lie, and the Lego sets generally don't either. Also, at this stage of things, we would not be seeing accidental early releases like the Mirkwood Spider set, which ended up being manufactured and shipped BEFORE the decision was made to make three movies.

The Dol Guldur sets are meant to go with this movie, and if they say Gandalf and Radagast are both present and fighting in Dol Guldur together, they very probably are. HOWEVER, we can be fairly certain that Radagast, while he comes with Gandalf TO Dol Guldur, does NOT initially enter with him. In the trailer we see him turning back, and ALL of the footage we have seen is of The Gray Wizard alone in Dol Guldur. He goes in with his hat and staff, and at some point the hat falls from him.

In photos from one of the guides, he is seen on Radagast's sled, his own staff not in the scene but with Radagast's in his hand. Also, in some of the clips from the latest Vlog, he is seen speaking to Radagast ABOUT Sauron's army.. Radagast has his staff in these scenes, but it is again the only staff present.

All of it combines to give me hope that the Wizards will, as a duo, depart Dol Guldur ere this film ends. It isn't garaunteed. It could happen differently, and if it does, if Gandalf is left there at the end of the movie, or if its the Nazgul rather than the Necromancer who overcome him etc. it will be a travesty of error, and I will be disgusted and appalled probably to the point of no longer being an advocate for this movie. Yet I have not given up hope. The evidence points to things possibly working out, if not well, than at least in a tolerable manner.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Nov 13 2013, 1:24am)

Subject User Time
After more careful investigation and thought than I care to admit to, why I increasingly believe Gandalf may indeed exit Dol GUldur in this film (Potential Spoiler) AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 13 2013, 1:22am
    Peter and Philippa basically give away what happens in the commentary sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Nov 13 2013, 1:29am
        Yes Galadriel will save Gandalf in TABA lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Nov 13 2013, 2:01am
            *pats lurtz gently on the cheek* AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 13 2013, 7:04am
        Of wizard staffs... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Nov 13 2013, 2:03am
    PJ and PB said th DG subplot will carry over to TABA patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Nov 13 2013, 1:45am
        This response is both to you and my dear friend about these forums, Sycorax82 AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 13 2013, 7:42am
            A Little Out of Topic Girdle of Melian Send a private message to Girdle of Melian Nov 13 2013, 11:37am
                Probably not. Defender of Nogrod Send a private message to Defender of Nogrod Nov 13 2013, 11:48am
            Actual history of the Third Age? starlesswinter Send a private message to starlesswinter Nov 13 2013, 7:11pm
                Or soooo you THINK!!! lol AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 13 2013, 7:18pm
    Perhaps it is one of Gandalf's "magical doppelgangers" that is captured... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Nov 13 2013, 1:56am
    they could use LOTR book gandalf the withe reborn Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Nov 13 2013, 12:17pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.