Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug the Magnificent vs Glaurung the Great Worm

Melkor94
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 10:04pm

Post #1 of 6 (722 views)
Shortcut
Smaug the Magnificent vs Glaurung the Great Worm Can't Post

Who do you think is more powerful. Glaurung was the dragon in the story The Children of Hurin. He was very powerful, yet Smaug is powerful as well.
This always goes across my mind in which dragon is more powerful.

Haradrim

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 12 2013, 10:10pm

Post #2 of 6 (376 views)
Shortcut
In my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug. Glaurung feels way smaller to me.

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Nov 12 2013, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 6 (333 views)
Shortcut
Good question . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Who do you think is more powerful. Glaurung was the dragon in the story The Children of Hurin. He was very powerful, yet Smaug is powerful as well.
This always goes across my mind in which dragon is more powerful.

I also got the feeling that Glaurung was smaller, although Tolkien liked to mention in the LOTR and Hobbit how much bigger things used to be, and how things had faded and become more like things are today as time passed.

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 10:42pm

Post #4 of 6 (327 views)
Shortcut
I think Glaurung was stronger [In reply to] Can't Post

because the logic in Tolkien's legendarium tend to show that ancient things are greater than most recent things.
That being said, Smaug had wings and Glaurung didn't, plus Morgoth's power were behind him in every of his action where Smaug did all his calamities on his own... so it's kinda hard to decide

Melkor94
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 6 (284 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung was a wingless worm, that being said I think physically Smaug is more powerful, yet mentally maybe not

بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيم
الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِين
الرَّحمـنِ الرَّحِيم
مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّين
إِيَّاك نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِين
اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيم
صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّين

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 12:53am

Post #6 of 6 (226 views)
Shortcut
As do I. Glaurung may have had the greater power for enchantment, yet I definitely feel [In reply to] Can't Post

that Smaug was the larger dragon. Not near so large as Ancalagon, of course, but notably larger than Glaurung I don't think a dwarven dagger would have pierced deeply enough into Smaug for him to be propely bothered, unless the entire hand and arm followed in after it. His head was too large to fit into a five by five door, and his wings beating stirred up hurricaine force winds, which tells me that the films version isn't making him at all too large. His fall destroyed a town.

In Reply To
Smaug. Glaurung feels way smaller to me.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.