Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Preparing for a new nightmare of reviews.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 9:43pm

Post #1 of 41 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Preparing for a new nightmare of reviews. Can't Post

Catching Fire's reviews just came out and it did well with 94 at rottentomato and 75 at metacritic. Congrats for them.

This reminds me of nightmare of last year when AUJ's reviews came out and from now on it's about only 3 weeks away we will face that time again.

OK so many peoples have said these many times "decide the movie by yourself" "forget about those stupid reviews" etc but after I finished my first AUJ watching I thought many things that reviewer complaint about the movie are right. Hate to say this but I was disappoint.I know so many peoples here dont care about movie score but good score can boost up our expectation dramatically and we will be more excited to see and talking about it like Catching Fire's fan now doing.

However I dont think DoS can get do better than AUJ so much and it need miracle to get 75 + score so I will keep my expectation very low this time. Prepareing for the storm.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Nov 12 2013, 9:46pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 41 (898 views)
Shortcut
Why [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you think DoS won't be able to match AUJ?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2013, 9:48pm

Post #3 of 41 (872 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect DoS can do better. A lot of critics felt AUJ dragged in the early going, they did not appreciate the time spent on Bag End and the backstory - they liked the second half better, for having "better pacing". DoS is likely to have more action and less exposition, as AUJ has done that work already.

Also, a lot of critics focused on the 48 FPS/HFR presentation.They may not care to repeat themselves on this point a second time.

I'm someone who really liked AUJ (watched it several times, took my kids twice, own the SEE). So I expect DoS will be just as good, while offering less f what was complained of in AUJ.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 9:50pm

Post #4 of 41 (815 views)
Shortcut
Plus [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood seems to have been made to show off the 3D...

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 41 (761 views)
Shortcut
Glad I didn't listen [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've read other posts from people mad at themselves for NOT going to AUJ and then seeing it and missing seeing it on big screen.

It's not a nightmare for me, particularly when these are the same folks that have loved other movies and I get badly stung and end up checking my watch, frantic to get out of the theater. If you
agree with them that's fine, but I"ve seen "highly rated" movies and thought "eh" all the way to "what movie were they watching"?

Seriously, people DO need to make up their own minds. But unless DOS has ratings of say, 95% negative which it obviously won't, think DOS will blow the doors off the BO.
Don't even think "reviews" are worth reading, since I am going many times. Many, many times.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 10:10pm

Post #6 of 41 (750 views)
Shortcut
critics vs. my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I read several relatively bad things about AUJ, and I happily ignored them, and I was glad I did. I freaking loved AUJ despite what many people feel about its 'flaws'. In any case, I think DoS will get much, much greater reviews than AUJ, if critics' reviews matter to anyone.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 12 2013, 10:22pm

Post #7 of 41 (720 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, a lot of critics focused on the 48 FPS/HFR presentation.

That new visual experience won't be a shock a second time around. And hopefully the dragon (and spiders. and Thranduil. and Legolas. and Lake Town) will blow any negativity out of the reviewers' minds. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Nov 12 2013, 10:24pm

Post #8 of 41 (688 views)
Shortcut
Better [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that the reviews for DoS will be quite a bit higher. Probably not 94% unfortunately but most likely in the 70s or 80s. Like others have said, this film will feature a faster pace, a darker tone, larger action sets, more favorable villians, and the 48fps will be old news. Especially since other directors are starting to use it now (Brian Singer for one).

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

Kim
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 10:27pm

Post #9 of 41 (650 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved my first viewing of AUJ (in 2D) despite the critics. And actually, after hearing all the complaints about HFR, it prompted me to check it out to see what all the fuss was about and make my own decision. And I loved that too!

Skaan
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 10:37pm

Post #10 of 41 (655 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

If certain critics who hated the HFR in AUJ will still go watch DoS in HFR, just so they can criticise it again. Or if certain critics are dead set on giving the next 2 movies low scores just because "it's one book into 3 movies".

This is actually my biggest fear regarding the reviews and criticism of DoS, that people won't judge the movie objectively. If the movie turns out to be mediocre, or even bad, then by all means the criticism should reflect that. But if the movie turns out to be great and better than AUJ, then i really hope the critics will give it honest and fair reviews, while ignoring the prejudices they may have formed after watching AUJ.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 10:40pm

Post #11 of 41 (628 views)
Shortcut
I hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...your trust in mankind pays off. But I think that won't happen sadly.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 10:52pm

Post #12 of 41 (580 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first viewing was actually 3D HFR (and I normally hate 3D) - at first I laughed really hard to myself seeing old Bilbo waddle extremely fast, but I eventually got used to it. My favorite scene in 3D HFR was the battle of Azanulbizar - I was blown away.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2013, 11:01pm

Post #13 of 41 (577 views)
Shortcut
Agree with just about all of that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Also AUJ seemed like a retread of FotR in a lot of ways. A lot of the locations in AUJ were already-covered ground, but DoS will take us to places we haven't been yet.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 11:05pm

Post #14 of 41 (561 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that it will be incredibly hard to get past 75% on RT. HFR and the three movie split hurt the reviews much, much more than what we often discuss here (Azog, etc). Those are issues some reviewers will certainly look for and find again in part 2. If it is much better pacing-wise(in the eyes of the critics, not me) than it should easily get better reviews than AUJ - but it will be hard to hit real heights. I have not that much confidence all many reviewers will stop trashing HFR in particular... although it is nice to hear what I read in a post above that other directors start using it. They should if it works for their movies.

However, people should - if they look at RT at all - look MUCH CLOSER to the average rating which is often more important. Especially Catching Fire has quite a difference there right now.

But it cannot be said enough: One's own opinion is the only one that matters - at least in this trilogy which is basically finished and will not be cancelled because of bad reviews or bad Box Office.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 12 2013, 11:12pm)

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 11:13pm

Post #15 of 41 (565 views)
Shortcut
I think the reviews will be much better for DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that people who didn't care much for An Unexpected Journey seem to be responding positively to the DoS marketing. The last trailer in particular has gotten a great deal of praise. As others have mentioned, this film won't be bogged down by some of the same problems, so I think that critics will likely be able to enjoy it more. There are obviously going to be some that won't approach it with an open mind, but I am hopeful that this film will win a lot of people over.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 11:19pm

Post #16 of 41 (545 views)
Shortcut
On a sitenote... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I really do not get the mega-hype surrounding The Hunger Games.

I do not know Catching Fire, yet, the first part though was an okay movie carried by a great actress (and carried by a story that looks fresh at first but is an obvious ripp-off of Battle Royale when one looks closer).

The difference between AUJ and THG's RT score is one of the many discrepancies why I really want to stay strong this years and stay away from RT before I see DoS.

The falling AUJ score last year really created anxiety for me that was totally unnecessary.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 12 2013, 11:31pm

Post #17 of 41 (546 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing like optimism, is there? [In reply to] Can't Post

Strikes me it's a little early to be running round in circles shouting 'Doom'....

Last year's reviews were heavily influenced by the novelty of 48 fps. This time round that won't be a novelty anymore - and the reviewers who slammed the first film will be having to take on board that it was a success at the box office in spite of them.

And this time I sense a difference. Each trailer seems to me to have sparked a more enthusiastic response, which bodes well. This film is going to be very different in pacing and in appearance. It's going to have a broader range of characters. Any critic with a brain is not going to drone on about the three-film split or 48fps because that's been done. This time they'll have to focus on the acting and the story. This time you might be surprised.

And frankly, if bad reviews influence you so much.... Well, if that were me, I wouldn't read them. They were wrong last time. And more generally, they have a history of being wrong. The opening night reviews of 'Les Miserables' were so bad that Cameron Mackintosh thought he would have to close it after the first few weeks. Twenty-eight years later it's the most successful musical ever, still showing worldwide in two different productions and now a film version too - doesn't that tell you something?

If 'Catching Fire' scored 100% I wouldn't want to watch it!

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 11:41pm

Post #18 of 41 (507 views)
Shortcut
Wise word. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe though that whether or not reviews will be influenced by the three movie decision will depend on the ending of DoS, what cliffhangers we will have, what is left, what is shown etc.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 11:49pm

Post #19 of 41 (497 views)
Shortcut
That's what I did, then saw it in 48 HFR and it blew me away (as they say)! [In reply to] Can't Post

After that I saw it about 10 more times in the HFR format, followed by other versions when HFR was no longer available (about 15 viewings in cinemas altogether).

As for the critics, they can stuff themselves Ė I nearly missed the HFR because I'd read what they said. This time around, I'm not bothering with them at all. Most of them seem like idiots who just copy each other.

In Reply To
I loved my first viewing of AUJ (in 2D) despite the critics. And actually, after hearing all the complaints about HFR, it prompted me to check it out to see what all the fuss was about and make my own decision. And I loved that too!

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 12:24am

Post #20 of 41 (509 views)
Shortcut
DoS doesn't have the same disadvantages as AUJ did [In reply to] Can't Post

An Unexpected Journey had all sorts of things to contend with:

A) The controversy over the move from two to three films, unjustifiable greed and / or self-indulgence in the eyes of many critics
B) The controversy over the higher frame-rate, something serious, arty critics were always going to want to turn their noses up at
C) The recurrence of numerous locations and characters and the consequent diminution in any sense of awe and wonder
D) The concomitant repetition in the score
E) The high expectations of critics engendered by the LotR trilogy, one of cinema's most successful franchises

And all of that on top of its own limitations as a film (pace, length etc)!!

DoS will have to cope with none of these, or at least will only have to cope with greatly lessened versions of them. Critics' lowered expectations and the fact that the tale is now moving into uncharted territory, I suspect, will see higher score awarded.

Fingers crossed, anyway Laugh

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 12:54am

Post #21 of 41 (461 views)
Shortcut
Way too early. [In reply to] Can't Post

There aren't even enough reviews on Rotten Tomatoes yet for them to have determined a general consensus for Catching Fire. The first round are promising, but it will probably be a few more days at the earliest until the meter begins to stabilize and we start to have a sense of what the final collective verdict of the critics will be. I am looking forward to it.

As for The Hobbit, I'm one of those who think it may not have been the best idea to stretch it into three movies, but I'm willing to see where it goes and judge it for itself. I'm getting pumped to see Smaug!

(On a different note, as a huge lifelong dinosaur fan my enthusiasm for the Walking With movie was dampened when I saw that they're going to be voiced. Why?!)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 2:15am

Post #22 of 41 (409 views)
Shortcut
Though I don't care for reviews, [In reply to] Can't Post

nor do I read them, you have a right to be worried, and have low expectations. Last week in my local newspaper, they talked about 12 movies they wished to see, and what their wish was for each of them. Among the films on the list was Catching Fire and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Do you know what they said about DoS?
For their wish, they said "For there to be justification for making three films out of a slim book." Shocked Ouch.

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 3:36am

Post #23 of 41 (353 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have long since ignored critics - unless they happen to be fans of a film whom I admire. Those are usually people I know personally.

Most movie critics I get the feeling don't like fantasy so since I am a fantasy geek I rarely find their opinions useful.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

cartermoulton
Bree

Nov 13 2013, 3:42am

Post #24 of 41 (416 views)
Shortcut
didn't jackson say [In reply to] Can't Post

that this was shaping up to be the best of all the middle earth films yet? he said that somewhere! i heard it...confirmation or am i just crazy?

perhaps it'll be somewhere in the low 80s...not that it matters much

"the road goes ever on and on..."

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 3:46am

Post #25 of 41 (382 views)
Shortcut
Yepp! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that he said this was the best/his favorite film he has ever made, and I believe that includes over any LotR! That's saying something!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.