Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Opening music piece for DOS & TABA

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Nov 12 2013, 3:00pm

Post #1 of 9 (569 views)
Shortcut
Opening music piece for DOS & TABA Can't Post

There was excellent consistency in LOTR with the opening theme music for all three movies. The Ring theme played at the start of every movie as the title screen came up, setting the tone for the films.

With The Hobbit, we have another beatiful, yet different music piece to start it out.

Will they go the same route this time around and keep the consistency between the three films, or will they have new music to start DOS & TABA?

I love keeping the same music, sort of like Star Wars, because it sort of tells you exactly what you are watching. I would also be willing to hear new music, if it stands up to the previous intro.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 12 2013, 3:07pm

Post #2 of 9 (317 views)
Shortcut
I think we will get [In reply to] Can't Post

the same theme as 'The Hobbit' logo comes up, but the surrounding music will of course be different.
Can't wait!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 3:08pm

Post #3 of 9 (292 views)
Shortcut
theme [In reply to] Can't Post

the ring theme will always be lotr for me, so ominous perfectly judged piece of music! up there with star wars!

the hobbit doesn't have a strong theme im sorry to say! too late now!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 12 2013, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 9 (286 views)
Shortcut
To clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

We heard a variation of the History of the Ring theme whenever 'Lord of the Rings' appeared. We heard the Shire theme when 'The Hobbit' appeared, and I've no doubt this will be the case for DOS and TABA again.

As for the opening music itself (that plays over the logos and precedes 'The Hobbit' title), again I expect it will be different for each film, just as it was with LOTR.

The Star Wars comparisons don't make sense, because that had a long text crawl and the same theme played over it. You're talking a few seconds with each Middle-earth title appearing, and the Shire theme will be instantly familiar to anyone who has seen LOTR. It just sets a different tone because these films are very tonally different, and feature a Hobbit as the protagonist, rather than being concerned with the fate of the ring.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Nov 12 2013, 3:12pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 12 2013, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 9 (275 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

the shire theme is the theme that goes with The Hobbit.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 4:28pm

Post #6 of 9 (175 views)
Shortcut
Dito. [In reply to] Can't Post

We will hear the Shire theme over the logo. Just like in almost every Harry Potter movie Hedwigs Theme was played.
BTW I can't wait for the first snippets from the DOS Soundtrack even more so than for the movie itself. Shouldn't they come out sometime this week? ( 30 second tracks)

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 4:52pm

Post #7 of 9 (173 views)
Shortcut
We know that Smaug's theme will be in the title [In reply to] Can't Post

That was revealed in an interview a couple weeks ago.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 12 2013, 4:56pm

Post #8 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
There are many strong themes in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

The Misty Mountains theme seems to be the de facto identity for this trilogy, much like the Fellowship of the Ring became the dominant melody everyone remembers in LOTR. Howard Shore doesn't write "main themes" though - every theme has a purpose in the narrative.

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 5:35pm

Post #9 of 9 (122 views)
Shortcut
I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

that TH and LoTR both share the ring theme. Most people think of both trilogies when that music comes on now Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.