"Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor" - open-world action game

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (3443 views)
Shortcut
"Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor" - open-world action game Can't Post

http://kotaku.com/...tm_medium=Socialflow

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, a next-gen, third-person action game set in the legendary Tolkien universe of Middle-earth. In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, players explore an original story of vengeance and redemption as they take control of Talion, a ranger whose family is murdered at the hands of Sauron and his army the night they return to Mordor.

Developed for next-gen consoles, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor introduces the Nemesis System, a powerful and dynamic gameplay mechanic that allows players' actions to shape enemy relationships and characteristics to create personal and unique story and gameplay arcs that are persistent even after death. Players experience a unique game every time as the dynamic world reacts and adapts to their choices.

That should solve the mystery on the AAA title that was confirmed a couple of weeks ago set in Middle-earth.

I like that it is finally an open-world game in Middle-earth, but I had hoped for a RPG, not an action game.

I hope it will turn out to be at least something like the Assassin's Creed stuff, which is also action-oriented but still created a nive environment and world.

It remains a shame that there is no Skyrim-like RPG set in Middle-earth until today.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 12 2013, 4:32pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 4:43pm

Post #2 of 16 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Ugh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They found Mordor to be the most interesting place to set the game from all the plaaces of Middle-earth? LOL.

And he is both a ranger and a wraith? Double LOL (or cry).

I guess I will have to wait a few more years for my old-school Middle-earth RPG.

http://www.gameinformer.com/...of-mordor-67498.aspx

demnation
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 4:50pm

Post #3 of 16 (3255 views)
Shortcut
It's just about the worst idea they could have come up with [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole Ranger/Wraith thing sounds like a really, really terrible idea and is completely against canon. ( and it just so happens that it is PJ approved!)

Still, I am desperate for a good LOTR video game (though War in the North and Lego LOTR are pretty decent) so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

The world is full enough of hurt and mischance without wars to multiply them.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 16 (3243 views)
Shortcut
Where does it say it is PJ approved? [In reply to] Can't Post

They work with PJ, ME Enterprises and Weta so the looks will fit, I see nothing about PJ approving the story or anything.

I agree with you that this is a let-down after the AAA title confirmation but I doubt PJ was invovled in the story-writing.

demnation
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 16 (3237 views)
Shortcut
This little blurb [In reply to] Can't Post

'It's made by Monolith Productions, developer of the recent Gotham City Imposters and Guardians of Middle-earth multiplayer online battle arena game, in collaboration with Middle-earth Enterprises, Peter Jackson and the artists at Weta Workshop "to ensure that the settings, characters and story align authentically within canon".

I found here (where I first read about this): http:// I wasn't really saying PJ was directly involved, but it looks like it has his stamp of approval.

The world is full enough of hurt and mischance without wars to multiply them.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 5:07pm

Post #6 of 16 (3237 views)
Shortcut
I highly doubt... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the "stamp of approval" thing.

Why would they even ask him?

I mean sure, they want to profit form the movie's popularity and certainly make sure the story is not at odds with what happens in the movies and that the looks will be the same - therefore PJ's and Weta's involvement - but PJ is certainly not asked whether something is "okay" or not.

Actually, he is no say whatsoever in these things, as long as WB is fine with it.

But again, I do not want to defend that game which sounds like another failure to me when it comes to ME games.

But I think it is unneccessary at this point to claim any sort of guilt for that mess of a story (as it sounds so far) on PJ.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 12 2013, 5:08pm)

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Nov 12 2013, 6:25pm

Post #7 of 16 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Ok, my opinions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very pleased to have a new LOTR game announced and a AAA game at that! Unfortunately it looks like the developers are contradicting canon for gameplay. I'll reserve judgements for now but at least we have a potentially good action game set in middle earth coming soon.

(Still hoping for a BFME III or equivalent somewhere down the line!)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 16 (3225 views)
Shortcut
BfME III [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be my biggest wish as well. Next to the Middle-earth Skyrim.

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 2:36am

Post #9 of 16 (3188 views)
Shortcut
So excited, and very glad it's open world. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just double checking, like it says it is on ps3 and\or ps4 correct? Just checking.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 9:49am

Post #10 of 16 (3151 views)
Shortcut
yes it is on both ps3 and ps4 [In reply to] Can't Post

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 10:04am

Post #11 of 16 (3173 views)
Shortcut
Sounds abit dull to me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the whole game is confined just to Mordor then it could be a very dull experience imo. The constant same environment could get very repetive and boring fast...

It would be better if they expanded abit, and perhaps included some of the borders with gondor (at least the scenery would be abit different)

Or even if they put abit of Dagorland in there so we can visit the dead marshes !

Having said that, i'm curious to know how much of Mordor they are creating, are we getting the whole country of Mordor or just the main parts, such as Mount Doom and the Black gate. Because i would love to visit the Sea of Nurnen which is in Mordor, and according to lore it has a different landscape to what the plains of Gorgoroth has.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 1:53pm

Post #12 of 16 (3157 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Its total fan fic but it should be fun to run around in the world nonetheless.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 11:35pm

Post #13 of 16 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Update Hub [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/mordor.aspx

Doesn't sound as bad as I thought yesterday.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 10:11pm

Post #14 of 16 (3093 views)
Shortcut
New Update [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.gameinformer.com/...dor-39-s-talion.aspx

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 9:20pm

Post #15 of 16 (3086 views)
Shortcut
And another one [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.gameinformer.com/...t-level-sandbox.aspx

BountyHunter
The Shire

Dec 3 2013, 7:19am

Post #16 of 16 (3088 views)
Shortcut
I was just wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

...does this game follow the book continuity, or the film continuity?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.