Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
General question about the ring and invisibility

1415dr
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 3:39pm

Views: 240
Shortcut
General question about the ring and invisibility Can't Post

This is one of those juvenile "what if" questions that doesnít have a real answer, but I find it interesting. The ring turns you invisible. It also turns your clothes and weapons invisible. Even Sting, which emits light is invisible (except in the Hobbit cartoon).

My speculative question is thisÖ how can the ring determine which objects touching the owner should be affected? Here are some examples:

Wearing a helmet: itís invisible
Wearing a hat: itís invisible
A feather falls on my head: ?

Holding a sword: itís invisible
Holding a 10 foot tall pole: itís invisible
Carrying person on your shoulders?
Wrapping your arms around Smaugís Tail:?

Would the old anti-invisibility trick of throwing flour on the person make them visible? or would the ring make the flour invisible too?

Also, what would happen if Bilbo put the ring on one of Smaugís horns? Would the whole dragon turn invisible? I guess we could argue that the ring is somewhat aware of situations and makes its own decisions, but Iím curious what other people think.

Sorry for the stupid questions. Dignified people need not respond. Thanks!

(This post was edited by 1415dr on Nov 12 2013, 3:47pm)

Subject User Time
General question about the ring and invisibility 1415dr Send a private message to 1415dr Nov 12 2013, 3:39pm
    Hmmmm... The flour trick is very interesting.... RosieBaggins Send a private message to RosieBaggins Nov 12 2013, 5:25pm
    What you need is the Ring FAQ Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Nov 12 2013, 5:34pm
        brilliant research 1415dr Send a private message to 1415dr Nov 12 2013, 6:26pm
        Oh, I need to bookmark that page! Thanks, Elizabeth! // The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Nov 13 2013, 2:39am
    While I can't outdo that FAQ... Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Nov 12 2013, 9:25pm
    Oh, the things you could do..... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Nov 12 2013, 9:53pm
    *applause* That was GREAT! :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 13 2013, 2:31am
        How about if it Lightfoot Send a private message to Lightfoot Nov 13 2013, 12:56pm
            I don't think that he was necessarily invisible.... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Nov 13 2013, 1:42pm
                Elizabeth's FAQ offers a good explanation FaramirFan Send a private message to FaramirFan Nov 13 2013, 3:21pm
                    Being shifted grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 13 2013, 5:12pm
    solomons ring of power henry9449 Send a private message to henry9449 Nov 16 2013, 4:47pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.