Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien as a Dating Filter

FaramirFan
The Shire

Nov 11 2013, 4:24pm

Post #1 of 15 (439 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien as a Dating Filter Can't Post

Just playing around. (testing the interface, noob.) Two parts:

1) Do you use the question, "Have you read LotR" in evaluating potential new relationships, and...

2) Has it been your experience that it doesn't work as well after the movies came out?

I've always found that I get along better with fellow travelers, if only because it gives us something frivolous to argue about. Tongue

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 15 (276 views)
Shortcut
I preferred to extend the benefit of the doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

My chosen had never read Tolkien. (collective gasp) Immediately after we married, I asked my husband to read The Lord of the Rings in tandem with me through a cold, TV-less winter. It was a most satisfying opportunity for bonding. Unfortunately, while appreciative of the stories, he did not develop into an avid fan. However, in all other respects he has proven to be an exceptional fellow traveler for 30 years.

There is always hope.
Heart

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Nov 11 2013, 8:06pm)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 9:01pm

Post #3 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

i dream of a day when i meet that special she elf, who then has a secret tolkien obsession!

and maybe a little elf ear obsession aswell ha!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2013, 10:55am

Post #4 of 15 (225 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I definitely ask!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And their yes answer better be followed by "I loved it!" That goes for both films AND reads ;) I had one person say they thought the movies were stupid. "RUN, GRAMMA...RUN!" I feel sorry for those sort of people... *shakes head*

*winkie-wink* ;)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

FaramirFan
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 12:42pm

Post #5 of 15 (224 views)
Shortcut
I have trouble with The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

..and if they don't like the movies, it's "interesting" - but they have to understand why I cry at the movies, which won't happen if they don't love the books.

Everyone has a different internalization. A friend couldn't stand Liv Tyler as Arwen, I was, "oh no, she works" His image matched Cate Blanchett.

Your friend that thought the movies were stupid - if his/her reason was Liv wasn't reserved enough, or that (for instance) Elrond would have never said "Men are Weak", we'll get along famously.

Had they read the books?

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 12 2013, 3:07pm

Post #6 of 15 (199 views)
Shortcut
Nope, never done this... but I plan to. [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone ever asks me out, one of my first questions will be, "Do you like LOTR?" I may give a second chance with, "Are you amenable to learning about LOTR?" If it is 'no' to both questions, I will cite basic incompatibility and go on my way. Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

LittleTook
The Shire

Nov 12 2013, 7:15pm

Post #7 of 15 (179 views)
Shortcut
Usually... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the only thing that really stands out as important is that the person has a love of reading and respect for books. While my hubby and I were courting somehow I came under the impression that he had read LotR at least if nothing else… turns out he has never read anything by Tolkien. At least he enjoys reading and has a respect for authors even if he hasn’t read their works directly but has at least seen how they have affected other things i.e. the film adaptations and fan films inspired by Tolkien’s works. Also he never complains when I obsess over or am overly protective of my book collection or ramble about things I love/dislike about various Middle-earth related things. Plus he is always welcome to my collection should he ever fancy winning brownie points, er, I mean, expanding his reading. Wink

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

“Hold fast to dreams, for without them we are like birds with broken wings.”
~Chinese Proverb

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 13 2013, 2:35am

Post #8 of 15 (162 views)
Shortcut
Nope. Never read the books... [In reply to] Can't Post

His logic was if the movie wasn't that good, the book would be any better. *sigh* Then again, I don't like the gory everybody dies movies he likes... so I guess we're even ;)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Tintallë
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 3:51pm

Post #9 of 15 (135 views)
Shortcut
I've never done that but I LOVE the idea!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

FaramirFan
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 4:09pm

Post #10 of 15 (129 views)
Shortcut
I thought we had quite the respectable body count! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2013, 6:58pm

Post #11 of 15 (117 views)
Shortcut
"No games, please" is a good way to make sure you don't date Smeagol.// [In reply to] Can't Post

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 8:43pm

Post #12 of 15 (121 views)
Shortcut
(*chuckling*) // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"No games, please" is a good way to make sure you don't date Smeagol.//

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 10:34pm

Post #13 of 15 (135 views)
Shortcut
To put it lightly, [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a serious issue for me if a potential partner did not like LOTR/Tolkien, as it defines so much of who I am as a person.

At this stage in my life I have never dated anyone, being only 18, but if I were to find myself in that situation I would probably find some subtle way of worming the conversation round to Tolkien during the first date. A flat-out "I don't like LOTR" would be fairly hard to swallow, whilst there would at least be hope if the person in question hadn't read/seen it. I wouldn't entirely abandon the whole affair if said person didn't like Tolkien, but they would have to accept the importance and impact of his work on my life, regardless of their personal opinions on the matter-if they couldn't do that, then I'd get myself out of the relationship quick, because nothing short of a personality flip will change me in that aspect.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Nov 13 2013, 10:36pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 4:15pm

Post #14 of 15 (81 views)
Shortcut
Amen, Radagast-Aiwendil!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the same situation and of the same mindset. Except, of course, you said it much better than I could have. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 4:52am

Post #15 of 15 (82 views)
Shortcut
Um, well, sorta [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just playing around. (testing the interface, noob.) Two parts:

1) Do you use the question, "Have you read LotR" in evaluating potential new relationships, and...

2) Has it been your experience that it doesn't work as well after the movies came out?

I've always found that I get along better with fellow travelers, if only because it gives us something frivolous to argue about. Tongue

It really helps in who I make friends with even!
Sometimes if they say they're not a nerd, it's hard for me to connect with them! And if they were to say that they even hated or disliked either the books or movies......oooooohhhhhhhh, it's almost impossible for me to like them after that!
Now, for my perf spouse, he'll have to be as nerdy as me, maybe even more so! I don't care if he be Dwarf or Elf ! But he will have to agree to come hunting in Mirkwood with me, and to take me on any perilous quests he may volunteer to go on! WinkSmile

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.