Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How creative are Tolkien aficionados?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How creative are Tolkien aficionados?
My hobby/vocation is painting
Artwork in a medium other than paint
Cartoons or comics
Writing -- fiction or nonfiction
Writing poetry
Writing songs
Sewing
Needlework (including knitting/crocheting)
Doll-making
Paper crafts
Woodwork
Pottery
Other (please specify)
Tolkien is my muse! ALL of my projects reflect my passion for Middle-earth
SOME of my projects
Nah, no JRR Tolkien but I am inspired by other fan interests
Nope -- no muses, just do my own thing
Photography
Video/film
No, not creative at all
View Results (194 votes)

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 11:51pm

Post #26 of 33 (131 views)
Shortcut
So far using summer vacations mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a start on things. I saw an idea someone had about short paragraphs and chapter note-cards. I have short paragraphs and outlines but no note-cards yet. I also have maps and character building stuff and concept art and some other supporting bits and pieces and diagrams along with concept art.

Most of the cartoons are a little angsty / emotionally charged. Many of the poems are in Haiku form (but not all).

I tried some collaborative writing and fan-fiction writing on a fan-site and found it mostly hard and frustrating to work collaboratively with other people - but not in all cases. In many cases I chafed at a style of collaboration that was highly controlled and centralized. In a few cases where people worked more freely and with more respect for my own creative freedom, it was really quite fun.

I'd say that the subject matter for these projects revolve around creatures I would call gremlins. Never quite sure whether to be scared or laughing or even quite sure just what they are or just precisely what actually is happening ... fun stuff in my opinion.

I think that keeping things to a first person perspective would simplify things quite a bit but to communicate the stories I am trying to get out there ... I don't know if that would be enough ... because they tend to be complicated and confusing so that almost any attempt to express them leaves out important aspects of the story.

It sounds like you are enjoying what you are writing! I struggle with it ... there is a mix of enjoyment, frustration with trying to nail down just what it is, and fear that someone else will see it and know it LOL. Once I write it and someone else reads it, then it wont' be all mine anymore. I find myself scrambling the pieces of it in different places and fearing that someone will see what it is before I'm all finished. I also spend quite a bit of time trying to find ways to work on the story without anyone else being able to know what I'm doing ... is that what a gremlin would be like? Now I am just getting silly! Wink

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2013, 12:55am

Post #27 of 33 (126 views)
Shortcut
Some of the most creative people I have known [In reply to] Can't Post

were scientists.

In order to move a a field forward you have to think outside the box, think creatively. My lab was one of 2 labs involved in finding the lipid, then the gene then the protein, then the enzyme involved in regulation of cholesterol. The medication people take today were based on research we did 25 years ago. Every step of the way there were scientists designing experiments to test new theories that came out of the imaginations of those researchers. What if? is a powerful question in science. It's also the same question asked by a musician (what if I change the tempo or key here) or a sculptor (what if use this shape) or a painter (what if I use this palette). Writers start with a blank page and answer What if?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2013, 1:57am

Post #28 of 33 (159 views)
Shortcut
TORn has really revived my creative side :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Writing, drawing, painting, hooking rugs, costume-making, collecting, travelling... and the latest inspiration is shingling my garage roof in Middle-earth theme (pictures coming VERY soon). TORn has made my life so full... I'll be grateful forever!

Great idea for a Poll, Grey Elf :)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Nov 11 2013, 3:02pm

Post #29 of 33 (155 views)
Shortcut
collaborative fanfic [In reply to] Can't Post

burpingtroll.com

From spring of 2002 to 2008 the group held true... then drifted apart. Every now and then the voices whisper but I don't have the heart to listen.

whatever

Nov 17 2013, 1:32pm

Post #30 of 33 (105 views)
Shortcut
rude much [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't like the video, perhaps you should find a different one or bring your own camera next time.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 5:58pm

Post #31 of 33 (73 views)
Shortcut
I think you've either [In reply to] Can't Post

misread Dame Ioreth's post or you have replied to the wrong post as I can't see any issue with what DI has written.

Even so, we don't allow posts that criticise other board members - please see point three of our TOS here. If you have a problem with a post, please alert us via a message on the Feedback board (with a link to the post in question) and an admin will have a look at it.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2013, 7:42pm

Post #32 of 33 (85 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe I was misconstrued as I was praising the performance for being better in person than any video of the performance could ever show. There was a palpable feeling of awe in the audience, as if many were truly under a spell. It was magical!

The video does not do it justice, but I have never seen a video of an event compare to being there in person. The person recording was sitting closer than I was and therefore was not able to capture, with their small electronic device, the full scope and effect of the performance. I looked for others but could not find one from that particular performance that illustrated the point I was trying to make (about different performers of the same song) any better.

As for me taking my own and doing better, ummm..... I'm not criticizing the videographer. I was merely noting that being there was even better!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 12:11am

Post #33 of 33 (53 views)
Shortcut
I'm a musician (violin) But I also [In reply to] Can't Post

like to write a little on occasion and draw (not too well!).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.