Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Nazgul in the films...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 7:54pm

Post #1 of 40 (1100 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul in the films... Can't Post

How do you think they will be potrayed ? Will they resemble a ghostly figure like we saw in AUJ ? Or perhaps a more LOTR style with black robes ?

With the 'nine' being confirmed to be in these movies i was just wondering what people thought their appearence should look like...

Personally i hope they go for a more LOTR appearence rather than them being portrayed as ghosts.. Sure the witch king could be a ghost but maybe the lesser ones should resemble more real beings.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 40 (602 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully... [In reply to] Can't Post

Something new....for at least the witch king I hope. Maybe a new evil looking helmet.

deskp
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 40 (542 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

considerings PJ's bad habits, they will bethe black robed being, now through the glorious power of computer generated fakery.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 40 (592 views)
Shortcut
The Wraiths should not be portrayed as Black Riders [In reply to] Can't Post

The Black Riders should be reserved for The Lord of the Rings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 8:37pm

Post #5 of 40 (547 views)
Shortcut
As long... [In reply to] Can't Post

as they look better than the wraith in AUJ which was horrible IMHO ( even FOTR had better wraiths). So perhaps hidden under black hoods again would not be so bad considering how ugly the Witchking looked there in Dol Guldur.
The CGI was just atrocious.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 8:43pm

Post #6 of 40 (536 views)
Shortcut
does tolkien.. [In reply to] Can't Post

give any reference into what armour/clothing they wore before the LOTR ??

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 8:48pm

Post #7 of 40 (522 views)
Shortcut
The same way Frodo sees them when he is wearing the Ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
give any reference into what armour/clothing they wore before the LOTR ??

I imagine them looking the same as when Frodo sees them while wearing the Ring, when he sees beneath/beyond their black robes.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2013, 9:09pm

Post #8 of 40 (483 views)
Shortcut
They cloaked themselves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in instances when they would have had to communicate with other beings. For instance, when they rode to The Shire to find info about the Ring.

They likely would have remained invisible while in Dol Guldur, but I doubt PJ will have them be invisible. So my guess is, what we saw in AUJ is what they will look like.

Remus
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:37pm

Post #9 of 40 (376 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast saw the Witch King because he is is a Maiar. He can probably see spirits and invisible creatures.

If the Witch King picks up an item from the ground, it would disappear most likely.

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:49pm

Post #10 of 40 (388 views)
Shortcut
The CGI was atrocious?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a real ghostly wraith you are referencing to make such a judgment. Seriously, I don't understand people who can evaluate the realism of CGI on objects as abstract as wraiths. To me, it looked like, well, what I would expect a wraith to look like.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Nov 10 2013, 10:52pm)

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:57pm

Post #11 of 40 (360 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked horribly out of place with that bluish glow it had. It was just not scary ( it doesn't help that the sequence is so bright) The whole scene is a letdown in that regard IMHO.
And they should also have used an actor for the wraith and not complete CGI. Look at what the wraiths were like in FOTR on weathertop. Those were far better.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:01pm

Post #12 of 40 (338 views)
Shortcut
He had a more bluish tint... I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's about the only difference I can detect. Man, you people... lol

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:05pm

Post #13 of 40 (334 views)
Shortcut
Not scary. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the MAIN difference. Also supported by how easily Radagast manages to knock him out.

elanor_thefair
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 11:09pm

Post #14 of 40 (334 views)
Shortcut
Just for comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

http://atolkienistperspective.files.wordpress.com/...tr-vs-auj-nazgul.jpg

Both are cool, IMO.
Indeed, the Weathertop one looks like an actor enhanced by CGI, while the Dol Guldur one looks only CGI.
But I'm ok with that. During the movie I was completely absorbed with the history and didn't paid attention to those details.

In Reply To
It looked horribly out of place with that bluish glow it had. It was just not scary ( it doesn't help that the sequence is so bright) The whole scene is a letdown in that regard IMHO.
And they should also have used an actor for the wraith and not complete CGI. Look at what the wraiths were like in FOTR on weathertop. Those were far better.

(This post was edited by elanor_thefair on Nov 10 2013, 11:11pm)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:11pm

Post #15 of 40 (330 views)
Shortcut
It's all about context folks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo carried Sauron's very soul around his neck in a horcrux. He was a vulnerable, terrified little hobbit contending with the witch king of Angmar.

Radagast was a Maiar, one of the five... and among the most powerful beings in middle earth. It stands to reason he was able to overpower the wraith here. The scene is meant to show us how he retrieved the morgul blade and nothing more. The only time Radagast shows any real fear is at the glimpse of the necromancer... which was indeed a little unsettling. At least for me. I don't think the filmmakers were trying to scare us with the wraith. If they were, it was a piss poor attempt and never even crossed my mind.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 11:13pm

Post #16 of 40 (322 views)
Shortcut
horcrux [In reply to] Can't Post

horcrux?? get out now!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:16pm

Post #17 of 40 (309 views)
Shortcut
You guys must have incredibly keen eyes for such things.. [In reply to] Can't Post

They both look exactly the same to me... aside from The Hobbit version being much 'bluer' How does the original look more 'real' In what way?? I just don't see it. They both just look equally ghostly and etherial. Perhaps I simply do not have the eyes for such things.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:21pm

Post #18 of 40 (307 views)
Shortcut
Horcrux [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, is that not what the one ring is, essentially? A physical object containing fully or in part, the spirit or soul of a being, in which case the object must be destroyed in order to fully vanquish the being. The one ring IS a horcrux.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Nov 10 2013, 11:22pm)

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:24pm

Post #19 of 40 (297 views)
Shortcut
They can't look the same [In reply to] Can't Post

simply because in the Rings Movies the Nazgul are always visible for Frodo. And these appearance is additionally displaced by the influence of the Ringbearer's sight. Color and those wavy lines affect the look.
Radagast sees the wraith in its "real" physiognomy, so to speak.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 11:26pm

Post #20 of 40 (301 views)
Shortcut
I agree to me it actually looked much like the Wraiths at Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

in FOTR, although we only saw a brief glimpse of it in AUJ.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 10 2013, 11:28pm)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:29pm

Post #21 of 40 (282 views)
Shortcut
That's an excellent point... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no reason to assume a wraith should appear identically the same through the eyes of a Maiar as it would through the eyes of a mere mortal under the influence of the one ring. Excellent point! Everything is visually altered when Frodo wears the ring of power. So why should the witchking look identical to his actual wraith physiognomy in The Hobbit? Again, excellent point. I give you full marks for that!

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Nov 10 2013, 11:33pm)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 11:31pm

Post #22 of 40 (289 views)
Shortcut
semiu wraiths [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe they are making the wraiths semi invisible, so that it suggests they are not fully ringwraithed yet! this would make sense in the fact that we can see the wraiths form in AUJ when radaghast fights him.

maybe PJ is presenting them in a condensed timeline, so they are still in a semi physical form!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 11:32pm

Post #23 of 40 (280 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see much difference. Certainly not enough difference to say one was good and the other 'bad CGI'.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:36pm

Post #24 of 40 (280 views)
Shortcut
It never occurred to me that the wraith was actually 'forming' in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked like he was just emerging from his statue. Like he was just hiding within it and then Radagast's presence drew him out.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 11:38pm

Post #25 of 40 (262 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the way the wraith looked, wasn't that the witch-king?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.