Beorn's height confirmed!

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 2:07pm

Post #1 of 11 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's height confirmed! Can't Post

From Jude Fisher's Visual Companion, which I just received:

Beorn, heavily muscled and nearly eight feet tall, with a great beard and a mass of dark hair, is an imposing figure. Closer to a giant than a mere man, he is large enough to cast fear into Goblins and Orcs... He lives in an oak-wood to the East of the Great River, in a large wooden house which lies behind a high thorn-hedge...There he keeps cattle and horses that are nearly as big as he is, as well as dogs, sheep and chickens. He also keeps hives of bees... The drones are the size of small birds, with bands of gold on their furry black bodies that shine like fiery gold.He is the last of his people, but says that once there were many like him and that they were the first to live in the mountains, before Orcs ever came down from the North. For though Beorn escaped their cruel torture, he will never forget, or forgive. A goblin's head is stuck on the gate outside his house, and a warg's skin is nailed to a tree, as warning to his enemies.

There are some pics of him in this guide and the Sibley movie guide which I also have. He looks interesting, different, but not bad.
It could definitely work in the film. The pictures of the house show large it is, but the pics of Beorn ín the books don't show him as that big.
I think it will only be in the film that you can really see his size and how he moves as well.

One thing, I think it is Beorn who speaks to the dwarves in this week's 3 minute sneak peek. At one point the dwarves are all lined up, and a very heavy voice speaks to them saying "Kill the dragon, take back your homeland". I think that is him, and not Gandalf which was suggested earlier. It isn't Gandalf's voice, but lower.

Another thing the Visual companion confirms is that there the Nine Nazgul are at Dol Guldur.

It also confirms Tauriel's backstory, about her parents having been murdered by orcs. And more on how incredibly badass she is supposed to be.

(This post was edited by Mithfânion on Nov 10 2013, 2:13pm)

elanor_thefair
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 2:16pm

Post #2 of 11 (892 views)
Shortcut
By the pictures we've seen so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he doesn't appear to be heavily muscled. What do you think?

Anyway, it's great to know that he is, indeed, very tall!

Thank you for the info, Mithfânion! Smile

(This post was edited by elanor_thefair on Nov 10 2013, 2:18pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 11 (825 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn will be pretty hefty. The actor is a big chap anyway, who looks robust.

I received the Sibley book yesterday. It's a great read (Sibley's books generally are, since he knows this world so well), and there is some terrific info. about both Beorn and the building of his house and the crafting of the contents therein. I like MP's approach to the character.

I'm trying not to read the whole book at once, so that I can savour the contents…

In Reply To

Thank you for the infos, Mithfânion! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2013, 2:38pm

Post #4 of 11 (785 views)
Shortcut
Was this ever re-mentioned when we heard Tauriel's backstory? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It also confirms Tauriel's backstory, about her parents having been murdered by orcs. And more on how incredibly badass she is supposed to be.

Last December it was confirmed in the EMPIRE podcast that:

"It's an invention of ours, but it's hopefully an invention within the spirit of Professor Tolkien, and whose story thread, the germs of it, the seeds of it, lie within the Lord of the Rings in a piece of storytelling that we never got to tell..uhm, that involves an Elf."

Presumably, the "seeds" of Tauriel's backstory are that of Celebrian?

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 4:35pm

Post #5 of 11 (643 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Thank you for the info, Mithfânion! Smile

Well, I agree that he doesn't look very muscled in any of the pics. The description says he is though, but maybe Fisher is basing herself somewhat off the book description as well.

He looks good in the photos in the movie guide and the Visual Companion though. Large but lean, rather than muscular.

They do mention CGI work on him as well so I think that in the film he will look more grand than in all the promo pics.

On the other hand, maybe not, maybe they've really gone for a kind of toned down design, one that's more low key.

Pousette
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 5:35pm

Post #6 of 11 (622 views)
Shortcut
Not MP's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

"Destroy the dragon/take back your homeland" is definitely Gandalf. I am 99% sure that it's McKellen's voice. And speaking as a swede, I am 100% sure it isn't Persbrandt =)

MP will most likely have some kind of accent, as well. Maybe not heavily accented, but I assume there is a reason PJ didn't pick a native speaker. MP is known to have quite a bit of accent out of character, as well.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 11 (496 views)
Shortcut
Why Celebrian? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you think Celebrian? Other than orcs involvement?
My first thought was Elrond. Lost parents at a young age, was taken in and raised by another Elf Lord and became a great warrior. He was one of the most incorruptible of leaders of Middle-earth. And fought not for self-gain. Sounds more like Tauriel to me.
Smile

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2013, 8:33pm

Post #8 of 11 (485 views)
Shortcut
I thought of Celebrian ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because she was injured by Orcs, and left Middle-earth, leaving Arwen, Elrohir and Elladan (essentially) "motherless".

But your thought on Elrond fits better, though it's not mentioned in The Lord of the Rings. Wink

elanor_thefair
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 8:48pm

Post #9 of 11 (460 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you and Glorfindela: Beorn looks robust!

He's quite different from what I had in mind while reading the book. I'm trying to stay as open minded as possible regarding this character.

In Reply To
Well, I agree that he doesn't look very muscled in any of the pics. The description says he is though, but maybe Fisher is basing herself somewhat off the book description as well.

He looks good in the photos in the movie guide and the Visual Companion though. Large but lean, rather than muscular.

They do mention CGI work on him as well so I think that in the film he will look more grand than in all the promo pics.

On the other hand, maybe not, maybe they've really gone for a kind of toned down design, one that's more low key.

elanor_thefair
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 8:53pm

Post #10 of 11 (465 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought when I heard about Tauriel's background [In reply to] Can't Post

Being Tauriel just like Celebrian's sons.

In Reply To
Presumably, the "seeds" of Tauriel's backstory are that of Celebrian?

Lio
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:00pm

Post #11 of 11 (414 views)
Shortcut
YESSS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Giant bees are IN! (We can trust this description, right?)

Also like the details about Beorn's animals, and the goblin head and warg skin. Like in the book! Cool

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.