Conan Stevens...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 7:02am

Post #26 of 95 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Who was killed by Dwalin? [In reply to] Can't Post

So the lurtz guy was playing an unknown orc?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 8:09am

Post #27 of 95 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Floored by the Azog 'denizen of middle earth' featurette [In reply to] Can't Post

in a bad way. It shows that the design we thought was Bolg, was actually an early attempt to create Azog, who was designed to be the arch villain from the very beginning. Or at least it was implied through their pictures and talk of using Conan Stevens early on. It's all very confusing actually when you step back and wonder how it ever became associated with Bolg.

I'm more dumbfounded than ever. And Phillipa Boyens calls this Azog change the "simple route and a minor adjustment for fans." Since when does taking the "simple route" make for a good film based off a classic story?

So no more hope for Bolg at the BOFA. Only Tauriel, Legolas and Azog the pale Orc. I'm sure Tolkien would be elated.

(This post was edited by Metal Slug on Nov 10 2013, 8:11am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 8:35am

Post #28 of 95 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think bolg has been removed from the main storyline, I'm pretty sure he'll at least be in TABA and at the BOT5A. How Azog factors into TABA I'm not sure, it's possible he'll die in DOS.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 8:58am

Post #29 of 95 (3060 views)
Shortcut
It became associated [In reply to] Can't Post

when we saw a toy listed as Bolg and they used a picture which we now know was an early attempt at Azog. For all we know PJ may of liked the design better for Bolg. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 9:28am

Post #30 of 95 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Except that they have also talked about..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the theme of fathers and sons in DoS, with Azog and Bolg being specifically mentioned. It's in the August issue of Empire:

It talks about Azog, and then says he is 'joined in his fury by an equally rough sort named Bolg (Conan Stevens). "They're the most serious orcs we've had in these films," boasts Jackson. "Bolg is going to be a fright." Later it talks of the fathers and sons theme - Thorin-Thrain, Legolas-Thranduil, 'and Bolg is actually the son of Azog. "I should say orc spawn," Jackson hastily corrects himself...'

So the sky hasn't fallen yet. Whatever Bolg looks like, it's too soon to decide he won't be in it.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 9:55am

Post #31 of 95 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Well then, there you have it [In reply to] Can't Post

All this fuss and worry is probably all about nothing, and there isn't anything to worry about. Bolg is on the way and he will be a menace. So who kills Bolg and who kill Azog. Dain can have one and Beorn can have the other. Doesn't sound like much fun for Thorin though.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 11:14am

Post #32 of 95 (3003 views)
Shortcut
They might not have told him about Bolg going CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

And then gone with someone a bit more experienced. A big part of the reason for casting him in the first place must have been his huge size, something later not needed when doing mocap. There's no mention of Stevens in the official TDoS press release, so to me it looks like Lawrence Makoare has taken over the role.

I bet Bolg will be in the movie, but not played by Stevens. I don't think he left Game of Thrones for this trilogy though. Rumors had it was for other reasons.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 10 2013, 11:23am)

MTT Gandalf
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 11:33am

Post #33 of 95 (3029 views)
Shortcut
Last shot picture - Is it Conan? [In reply to] Can't Post

On the last shot picture we can see a guy in green suit, fighting with Thorin (?).
Maybe it's Conan Stevens.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...558_1448982067_n.jpg

What do You think about it?

deskp
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:57am

Post #34 of 95 (2976 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

no, thats a nobody, that just a stand in for SOME creature, it is NOT a mo cap, that green person is just there as an moveable object for Thorin to inetract with.

And I should note the club Lurtz cg guy is holding is not the same we have seen Bolg with. It is a new deisgn based on the same basic look/shape.

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 12:04pm

Post #35 of 95 (3008 views)
Shortcut
This Game of Thrones business.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Conan denies leaving GoT for The Hobbit. He says there were other reasons for his departure.

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 12:26pm

Post #36 of 95 (2967 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure there were! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, come on! Who wouldn't rather play Bolg? One of the main villains in one of the most popular books of all time? Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 1:18pm

Post #37 of 95 (2929 views)
Shortcut
And than replaced by cgi.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be kinda a downer Wink

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 1:31pm

Post #38 of 95 (2912 views)
Shortcut
I'd have stayed on GoT if I were him [In reply to] Can't Post

GoT is, undoubtedly, much more popular in terms of pop culture and media buzz than The Hobbit, so for an actor, it'd be great exposure, especially when you're not wearing tons of makeup and costume. I wish he did stay on GoT as Gregor Clegane. The two guys they got to replace him weren't up to snuff and not as intimidating as Stevens. Especially with Gregor's big book 3 moment coming up....

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

MEIGWIT
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 1:46pm

Post #39 of 95 (2918 views)
Shortcut
It was not the same actor [In reply to] Can't Post

the same actor was not doing the mo-cap. definitely a different person entirely. Also in the EE, PJ says conan was originally hired on as Azog, but he was never pleased with the design. So I don't know if conan is still in the movies as of now or not. They talk a lot about it on appendices 8 during the 3rd featurette i think.

It is the little things in life that keep the darkness at bay.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 2:11pm

Post #40 of 95 (2882 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie guide by Sibley has a section in which they talk about the Orcs and how they have been replaced the prosthetics with CGI versions.
It looks from that as if all the main orcs will be CGI. It could be Stevens has been completely replaced if he hasn't done any motion capture work.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 2:19pm

Post #41 of 95 (2901 views)
Shortcut
According to Mr. Stevens' Game of Thrones Wiki entry... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there were scheduling conflicts between GoT and other projects Stevens was working on, the biggest of which was most likely The Hobbit.

DjU
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 2:37pm

Post #42 of 95 (2873 views)
Shortcut
That's not what Conan says though... [In reply to] Can't Post

That may be what the wiki says and what may be the 'official' HBO line, but I believe Conan has always said that he DIDN'T leave GoT, he got replaced. The Hobbit may have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think there were some rumors out there about the whys, but its not the place to bring them up.

From Conan's own website

I had a great time working on GoT season 01 and the response from viewers to my character and portrayal seemed very positive. I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity.

Of course, if I were asked to appear in season 03 I would be very excited to do so.

http://www.conanstevens.com/...rones-season-02.html

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 2:39pm

Post #43 of 95 (2870 views)
Shortcut
I'm disappointed that they went this route... [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie guide by Sibley has a section in which they talk about the Orcs and how they have been replaced the prosthetics with CGI versions.

I really did not at all like the look of the CGI Orcs in AUJ - they all just looked so fake to me. The argument in favor of the look of the CGI Orcs generally seems to be that they are capable of a wider range of facial expressions. Now I realize that you can get a wider range of expressions with CGI than with prosthetic masks, but they're Orcs...do they really need to be capable of a wide range of expressions, at the expense of looking real?

Anyway, it looks as if there will still be Orc prosthetics at least to a small degree, if the Orc being interrogated by Thranduil is anything to go by. I thought that Orc looked great.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 2:42pm

Post #44 of 95 (2859 views)
Shortcut
GoT wiki... [In reply to] Can't Post

It does state that the "scheduling conflicts" stuff came from the mouth of Stevens himself, apparently responding to fan questions on the winteriscoming fansite. I've been trying to find the exact quote on the site, but I can't find anything relating to Stevens' departure.

DjU
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 2:51pm

Post #45 of 95 (2857 views)
Shortcut
Here's the post [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan does mention scheduling conflicts with the Hobbit, but not in relation to GoT. The person who wrote the wiki entry is either confused or misrepresenting things.

http://winter-is-coming.net/...cast/#comment-131915

To everyone else who supported me I have to say thankyou, getting in GOT opened the audition doors for Hobbit, which opened the door to Spartacus and now a potential major role in a new movie depending on Hobbit scheduling conflicts, but in any case I now have a much better future.

(This post was edited by DjU on Nov 10 2013, 2:51pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 2:53pm

Post #46 of 95 (2841 views)
Shortcut
No one here knows anything for certain... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people are making this assumption mostly based on the fact that Makoare is mo-capping while wielding a weapon similar to the one that the "old" Bolg design is holding. Isn't it possible that Makoare could be mo-capping for another Gundabad Orc, or maybe even one of Bolg's Guard?

deskp
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 2:58pm

Post #47 of 95 (2843 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

There is also the blood running down from his mouth and the metal on his head... why would Bolg make his guards look so fimilar to him?

And why is Makoare a featured name in the credits and Conan isn't there at all.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:02pm

Post #48 of 95 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Interesting comment. He definitely doesn't sound like he regrets the fact that he's left GoT, if this comment is any indication - "...Gregor has some interesting scenes later on that I would have liked to have done but careers are not built on minor appearances in big productions..."

That to me certainly sounds like he left GoT of his own accord, although it doesn't name The Hobbit as the culprit.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:06pm

Post #49 of 95 (2816 views)
Shortcut
Conan's listed in the imdb credits... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I guess it all remains to be seen. Personally, Im hoping Bolg remains Conan Stevens in prosthetics. I could live with a redesign, but I just hope he doesn't end up a mo-capped CGI character.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Nov 10 2013, 3:07pm)

deskp
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 3:07pm

Post #50 of 95 (2823 views)
Shortcut
doesent matter [In reply to] Can't Post

Imdb is not a reliable source, it's as ediatble by anyone as wikipedia is.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.