Conan Stevens...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:00am

Post #1 of 95 (7469 views)
Shortcut
Conan Stevens... Can't Post

Ok so he dropped his good role he had on Game of Thrones for The Hobbit and now PJ decides to replace him with cgi and from the look of the vlog the actor who plays Azog is motion-capturing for Bolg. So did Conan Stevens refuse to mo-cap his character?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 3:21am

Post #2 of 95 (6595 views)
Shortcut
Since when [In reply to] Can't Post

Was it confirmed that he dropped his role as bolg? He just had an interview with TORn and it proved he's still in the movie. It's all good. He will be in it.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:29am

Post #3 of 95 (6563 views)
Shortcut
But why was the Azog actor.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mo-capping for Bolg in the vlog?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 3:30am

Post #4 of 95 (6572 views)
Shortcut
That is Lawrence Makoare [In reply to] Can't Post

The mo-cap actor is Lawrence Makoare (Lurtz, Gothmog, the Witch King) (he is also listed in the credits for DoS). It remains to be seen whether this is a newly redesigned Bolg or whether this is another Gundabad orc.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 3:32am

Post #5 of 95 (6572 views)
Shortcut
Conan Stevens... [In reply to] Can't Post

just had an interview with Torn about his upcoming role in the desolation of smaug. The interview was conducted less than three weeks ago. This nigh confirms he's still in as, logistically, if all his work was totally redone by another actor, this would have happened months ago and Conan would have known by now. He IS in the movie. Rest easy.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Nov 10 2013, 3:33am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:32am

Post #6 of 95 (6535 views)
Shortcut
In the vlog.. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was holding bolg's battle axe.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:35am

Post #7 of 95 (6503 views)
Shortcut
So he hasn't been replaced by cgi? [In reply to] Can't Post

All the talk here is that Bolg has been replaced with mo-cap.

pacochoa
Bree

Nov 10 2013, 4:57am

Post #8 of 95 (6446 views)
Shortcut
Not so sure we can rest easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Conan might just be out of the loop.
If he was replaced again by cgi, he might not find out until the movie comes out. My money is actually on a cgi Bolg with no Conan.

(This post was edited by pacochoa on Nov 10 2013, 4:58am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 5:12am

Post #9 of 95 (6414 views)
Shortcut
Were you being sarcastic? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean if you were LOL Wink I can see it now...Conan Stevens opening up a letter from PJ on December 13th...Sorry Mr. Stevens I replaced you with cgi.

Frodo Lives
The Shire

Nov 10 2013, 5:14am

Post #10 of 95 (6432 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. If Azog can be put into the movies with only weeks before release, for all we know they'll replace Conan's Bolg with a robot from the future.

Frodo Lives
The Shire

Nov 10 2013, 5:18am

Post #11 of 95 (6397 views)
Shortcut
It happens. [In reply to] Can't Post

Matthew Fox originally had a fairly big role in World War Z. Then they decided they didn't like the way the movie went, reshot the second half, and left 95% of Fox's role on the floor. I think he's in the movie for only a handful of shots now.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 5:22am

Post #12 of 95 (6390 views)
Shortcut
Alex North's Score for 2001: A Space Odyssey [In reply to] Can't Post

The original score for 2001 was composed by Alex North. During post production Kubrick tossed out North's score in favor of his temp track. Kubrick never informed North of this change. North found out at the film's premiere when he did not hear any of his music played during the film!

These things are not unheard of.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 5:32am

Post #13 of 95 (6429 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget PJ scrapped Howard Shore's score [In reply to] Can't Post

For King Kong right before the release.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 5:37am

Post #14 of 95 (6390 views)
Shortcut
I think the cosmetic Azog was not impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the cgi Azog was better but that's just me.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 5:42am

Post #15 of 95 (6376 views)
Shortcut
I understand that much but... [In reply to] Can't Post

the puzzler here is the interview Stevens participated in just a few weeks ago with Torn. Certainly Pete would have told him if he was replaced by another actor by now, right? Surely... Crazy

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 5:47am

Post #16 of 95 (6347 views)
Shortcut
Ok but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Has he said he's been mo-capping bolg? Because a member posted a few days ago that in the vlog we see the actor who played lurtz mo-capping and holding bolg's axe.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 5:53am

Post #17 of 95 (6345 views)
Shortcut
Maybe.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The lurtz actor is doing the motion capture and the game of thrones actor is doing the voice? On side note since it was brought up....was Howard shores soundtrack for king kong ever released? Or is it in some secret vault somewhere?

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Nov 10 2013, 5:58am)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 5:56am

Post #18 of 95 (6341 views)
Shortcut
It's all a bit confusing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because, yes, as per the the latest blog, Lawrence McCormick was seen mo-capping as an orc and holding what appears to be Bolg's mace. But then why, up until at least as recent as 3 weeks ago, does Conan Stevens still think he's playing Bolg in Desolation if PJ did indeed replace him with McCormick? Crazy

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 6:13am

Post #19 of 95 (6357 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

they had someone temporarily replacing him for mo-cap - in the AUJ EE, they showed Jed Brophy did that for Andy Serkis when Andy couldn't do some of the mocap (I think he was too busy on 2nd unit at the time). It was just temporary though.

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 6:19am

Post #20 of 95 (6320 views)
Shortcut
That was for pre-viz [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 6:31am

Post #21 of 95 (6317 views)
Shortcut
Lawrence makoare is listed on imdb for DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

As "Orc chieftain" and Conan Stevens is not listed...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 6:37am

Post #22 of 95 (6304 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bolg was in the AUJ EE we would know by now.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2013, 6:44am

Post #23 of 95 (6307 views)
Shortcut
All the live actors have CGI counterparts. [In reply to] Can't Post

but not all of them do all their own mo-cap. In LOTR, the overhead shot of the Fellowship running across the Bridge of Khazad-dum was all CGI. And as far as I know, they didn't bother to have all the actors come in to mo-cap that scene. They just did the animation at Weta, and if they'd needed mo-cap they would have got someone already there to do it rather than paying "hero" characters for a day's work when it could be done by a stand-in much cheaper.

All wide-shots of battle scenes are either partly or completely CGI, especially those which include background scenery which does not exist in real life, characters which are not human, or whole armies of any kind (for this they use Massive). For the pickups, it's entirely possible that PJ wanted another shot or two of Bolg doing a particular thing as he's editing the battle together. It would be cost-prohibitive to get every actor in to mo-cap his digital self for every pick-up scene - especially if there's only one or two shots and the actor wouldn't be coming in otherwise. They don't need him to come in just to swing an axe once or twice. It's faster and more sensible to have someone of similar size stand in for that, just like they have stunt doubles and stand-ins on the set when shooting live action.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 6:47am

Post #24 of 95 (6349 views)
Shortcut
He is. Being killed by Dwalin at Azanulbizar. And from the looks of it, that Bolg, unlike Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

is going to stay dead, and the role is going to be redone. Which seems really callous... but ???? UnsureUnsure

In Reply To
If Bolg was in the AUJ EE we would know by now.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2013, 6:52am

Post #25 of 95 (6323 views)
Shortcut
Actually, he is. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to click on "Full Cast and Crew" and scroll down. He's there, between Jed Brophy and Stephen Hunter. His own page has him listed for all three movies.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.