Yazneg wasn't CGI, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

And he looks pretty cool.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:09pm

Post #77 of 95 (4713 views)
Shortcut
If he was CGI, I'm shocked.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yazneg looked 100% prosthetic to me. I'm going to really miss prosthetic Bolg. I thought his design was deliciously ferrel.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 10:20pm

Post #78 of 95 (4690 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if the Orcs have a bit of similarity to Men or Elves in terms of appearance. I feel it is in keeping with their (likely) origins.

As for the idea that the Orcs of LotR looked like guys in make-up, well, yeah. So do the Dwarves in The Hobbit, but they all still look fairly believable. As opposed to Azog and the rest of the CGI Orcs of AUJ, who looked like video-game villains.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:25pm

Post #79 of 95 (4695 views)
Shortcut
orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt like yazneg's design honestly...again all I see is a guy in makeup. I did really like the origial bolg design. ..very inspiring I thought. To make it clear, the prosthetics themselves are great, its just that all prosthetic orcs will have that same human feature placement and proportions. I kinda like more wilder and non human looking orcs...just my opinion of course.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty heroes of seal team 6, the PJ, and all those who fell in Tangi
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 10:32pm

Post #80 of 95 (4671 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure if middle earth dwarves were real... [In reply to] Can't Post

they'd look just like humans in makeup Wink It's funny how people go on about how all the orcs and goblins in the movie were made out of animation. I seriously was only consciously aware of Azog being animated upon first viewing. To my mind's eye, all the other orcs and all the goblins look like real physical creatures. I don't know what it is about Azog. When I think about him, the weight and mass and performance and texture and lighting is all there. But for some reason he still looks fake to me and I don't know why Unsure

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 11:09pm

Post #81 of 95 (4655 views)
Shortcut
I think we will see Conan in TABA, though whether they will call his role 'Bolg'... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be extremely annoying if the Bolg they obviously spent so much time creating is tossed aside completely. Though it's Peter's vision, and if he feels he needed to change the look then fair enough.

vinsanity
The Shire

Nov 10 2013, 11:12pm

Post #82 of 95 (4656 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

"again all I see is a guy in makeup. "

The same way i see in Azog and the goblins as videogame characters that they put in a live action movie. About the human shaped forms, well, Saruman himself said that orcs were once elves, so it makes sense them having human proportions. A scene like this if all the orcs were CGI wouldn't had the same impact, and the CGI would have been outdated by now while the prosthetics still looks great today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJIr_EL_4m8

(This post was edited by vinsanity on Nov 10 2013, 11:13pm)

DjU
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:28pm

Post #83 of 95 (4647 views)
Shortcut
Ultimately [In reply to] Can't Post

Ultimately they didn't spend any time 'creating' that Bolg, seeing as it was a discarded Azog design Tongue

Considering PJ was never happy with the design as Azog, it makes sense that now he has the chance to replace it now that he can.

Although it does then open another series of questions. Why was a design he didn't think was working for Azog was used for Bolg (I imagine they may have been under time pressure and settled for that design on a 'secondary' character [When you see Conan wearing the Azog (Bolg) costume(s) the Dol Guldur sets are already up]

That poses the other question of whether there is yet another actor who was previously Bolg and if there was a design before the Azog discard!

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:36pm

Post #84 of 95 (4627 views)
Shortcut
orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves should definitely look more like humans than orcs...no arguement there...again, just my personal opinion on orc look regardless of canonical origin there killer.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty heroes of seal team 6, the PJ, and all those who fell in Tangi

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 11:48pm

Post #85 of 95 (4611 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the Moria orcs in FOTR but I also liked the goblins in the misty mountains and azog.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 11:57pm

Post #86 of 95 (4604 views)
Shortcut
orcs and goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you
I thought the moria and misty mountain goblins were spot on. I actually really liked Azogs design, and if I hadnt known he was cgi, i think I would have thought he was prosthetics..i thought his movement and expressions were very natural.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 12:31am

Post #87 of 95 (4603 views)
Shortcut
I don't get the hate for Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

If they replace what happens with bolg at the end than I can see the grumbling but I think it adds to the story having him still a threat.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 11 2013, 12:46am

Post #88 of 95 (4579 views)
Shortcut
azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I know...I dont get it either!? I think hes a great and formidable villain. I look forward to see who kills him in the end. I wish he had gotten his sick lines he spoke at azanulbizar despite not dying.

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 11 2013, 1:10am

Post #89 of 95 (4596 views)
Shortcut
All this is mere speculation... [In reply to] Can't Post

We really don't know anything about Bolg besides the fact that he will be in it. I don't understand why everyone is is convinced that is Bolg in the vlog. Just because he has, what looks like Bolg's battle axe doesn't mean it's him. If he is getting a redesign, isn't it reasonable to think that his weapon might change?

I personally don't think that Bolg will be the bearded design everyone thought he would be, the failed Azog design. But I still think Conan will be playing him. What I don't buy is the argument that, because we see the cgi Orc with an axe similar to the *failed* Azog design that means that's Bolg's new design and Conan is out. I could be wrong, but keep an open mind! And don't get too locked into your opinion before you know anything.

We'll see what happens next month! Smile

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on Nov 11 2013, 1:12am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 3:32pm

Post #90 of 95 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit that there does appear to be some merit to the "Bolg is being mo-capped" theory, but with all due respect, these posters who are claiming that it's a foregone conclusion don't know any more than you or I. There's no conclusive evidence either way.

We will see next month what they are doing with Bolg. I'm not taking anyone's word as law.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 3:47pm

Post #91 of 95 (4510 views)
Shortcut
All I can tell you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...about my reason for hating Azog is that I feel his inclusion contradicted the source material too much (I also thought he looked too video-gamey, but that's besides the point). I'm not some purist who hates all alterations, but I have my limits. Azog was supposed to have been killed 140 years prior to the story, he's not supposed to be running around trying to wipe out Thorin's family for some unknown reason. I think the many reasons that people have for hating Azog are pretty clear-cut.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 11 2013, 6:49pm

Post #92 of 95 (4492 views)
Shortcut
The more Orcs the better! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too am glad they kept Azog in the films, although I wish we could have seen him 'defile' the head of Thror by carving his name into it... I believe they actually made a prop head with Azog's name carved into it, but obviously didn't show him doing it. (I'm sure I saw it in a vlog, or possibly one of the Weta books)

I like the design for Azog. They needed to show a difference between the Gundabad Orcs and Mordor Orcs/Isengard Uruks, and I think they've done that very well. Plus I like the 'claw'... No pun intended.

The more 'hero' orc characters the better. The LOTR films had some great ones, but they didn't last very long - Lurtz, Ugluk, Grishnakh, Gothmog, Gorbag... It will be nice to have some orcs that survive from one film to another!

And it's also nice to see some orcs actually pose a formidable threat to the heroes of the story. With the exception of Lurtz and Gothmog, the orcs in LOTR were slain far too easily for a race that are supposedly fearless, savage warriors in battle.

Azog and Bolg need to tear through dwarves, elves and men at the BO5A, and seem pretty much unstoppable, which will make the entrance of Beorn even more of a fist-pump moment.

(This post was edited by Orc Berserker on Nov 11 2013, 6:52pm)

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 11 2013, 7:45pm

Post #93 of 95 (4482 views)
Shortcut
Expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got some huge expectations for the big orcs in battle, Azog and Bolg in particular.
I thought they did a very good job in the flashback showing Azog outside of Moria for instance.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 11 2013, 8:19pm

Post #94 of 95 (4469 views)
Shortcut
BO5A [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah me too. The flashback battle of Moria is one of my favourite parts. The Dwarves and Orcs both look awesome. I think it's a bit of a tease for the BO5A, although the Iron Hills Dwarves may look slightly different, armour wise.

They need to make Bolg and his 'bodyguard' basically the Orc equivalent to the Thirteen dwarves... Just a crew of big, bad, bloody savages tearing everybody up. Until Beorn arrives...

peterLF
Rivendell

Nov 15 2013, 2:11am

Post #95 of 95 (4486 views)
Shortcut
The "Bolg" of Azanulbizar might just be a fluke... [In reply to] Can't Post

It might just be a reused skin for an unimportant orc - however unfortunate the cameo seems to be if this Bolg concept is indeed used.

That toy packaging of the Bolg/Gandalf set that's circulating reveals that Bolg is (or was at one time in the production at least) the torturer and keeper of the Dol Goldur dungeons, his armor being "embellished with the blood and bones of his victims".
The blood explains the red hair, and the bones are clearly visible, but while the orc in the Azanulbizar battle have the bones and the general Bolg armor - there is no red hair... He is also not wearing any metal on his head, and facially only remotely resembles Bolg (to me at least). Which means he either haven't yet developed into his "current" self - or it's just simply not the same guy.

According to this link (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/7932722/Behind-the-scenes-of-The-Hobbit) the ["hero"?] orc faces are put on using CGI and not prosthetics - so it would be very easy to just replace the skin on the face if the Bolg character design wasn't going to be needed but they still thought the armor was "kewl as fukk" (which it is).

Also, the photo released of Bolg is taken at Dol Goldur, and considering the trailers that came out before AUJ premiered it seems probable that certain scenes were pushed to DoS - which they obviously can't talk about in the AUJ appendices.

Also in the appendices PJ is heard talking about "putting Gandalf in that sort of position where he's trapped which we haven't seen before" [hugely paraphrased] - which would seem like it isn't something to come directly out of the book. And I am thinking it is a Dol Guldur scene that is being discussed. Bolg having a hand in keeping Gandalf trapped in DG would seem a bit more plausible that most other scenarios, since it probably won't be the Necromancer doing it directly. You kinda need "a bigger than usual"-type bad guy there - and a guy who physical, and not just a phantom.

All in all, I'm leaning towards that the orc Dwalin is fighting is just some unimportant orc... But considering Thrain's storyline, we might pay a revisit to the Battle of Moria-flashback, so anything is up for grabs.

PS: forgive me if I'm reposting too much - I haven't followed these forums too long B|

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.