Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One thing I think we forget about these fantastic films
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 9 2013, 6:24pm

Post #76 of 87 (194 views)
Shortcut
I had not heard about the stomach ulcer before [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly I am not following things closely enough. This is the first I have read of it.

I agree Meigwit, he certainly could have died - that is completely true. I have seen it many times. In fact I spent four and a half hours of last Christmas day coding a 40 year old woman for precisely that ailment, who did not survive. I do give a tremendous amount of credit to him and the crew for moving forward in the face of that.

(I do hope he is getting good follow up, gnaws the nurse in me.)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 7:42pm

Post #77 of 87 (186 views)
Shortcut
It's just an unfortunate trend [In reply to] Can't Post

That any one here who expresses displeasure with the film is considered to have some sort of agenda. And their comments are dismissed as pointless simply because they didn't like certain things about the movie.

My reply to the op was civil and intelligent., and I was still met with personal attacks and people thinking I'm trying to accomplish something.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 10:18pm

Post #78 of 87 (150 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a disparaging term.Unsure

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 9 2013, 10:46pm

Post #79 of 87 (144 views)
Shortcut
There was a TV interview PJ did [In reply to] Can't Post

in October 2010 along with Phillipa Boyens, when the labour dispute was coming to a head. I thought he looked and sounded absolutely terrible, and I found the interview quite hard to watch. Although I had mixed feelings about what had been going on in regard to the union issues, I felt really sad to see Peter Jackson in such a state, especially when his normal mode seems to be so cheery and relaxed.
Obviously he was under a huge amount of stress at the time, but I have no idea if he was also physically unwell. He was hospitalised at the end of January 2011 due to the ulcer.

I found the interview. It's longish, but quite interesting to watch now that so much time has elapsed.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 11:00pm

Post #80 of 87 (162 views)
Shortcut
Speaking from the POV of a Moderator (all please read - general remarks) [In reply to] Can't Post

who tries to read as much of everyone's posts as humanly possible, and must especially pay attention to every argument and disagreement....

I would say that the honors are about even. Both sides feel, and with some justification, that the other side is not content to let them hold their opinions in peace. And all our efforts to get people to ease off on the judgmentalism to this point have been unsuccessful. But I will put in yet another plea.

Do not take everything that you disagree with as a personal affront. The OP stated their perspective. Some disagreed, which is to be expected. But there is a recurring theme in those disagreements of "Why are you telling me I can't..." And we get exactly the same pattern of argument when the positions are reversed. Very few people have any high ground left here anymore, and the board is full of pots and kettles all complaining that the other people are ruining the place. People are demanding that others phrase everything in a way that they think it should be phrased and the moment someone uses an ill-advised word choice, they are all over it and attaching to it all their baggage from previous arguments - and some of you have a lot of baggage! Nobody is doing a good job of putting "IMO" in everywhere, and even when they do it doesn't seem to help. If it doesn't have your name on it, and it wasn't posted as a reply to your post, then it was a general statement of the person's own views, exactly the same as yours is when you post it. Do not be so quick to put yourself in the line of fire when someone is just throwing thoughts out in general. You can just say "I disagree, and here's why" without complaining that everyone's being so mean and nobody will let you say what you think. Guess what? You just did. Congratulations.

In large part, being offended is a choice you make and not something done to you. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, no one can make you feel inferior without your permission. You are not being oppressed by the existence of someone else's opinion, any more than they are being oppressed by the existence of yours. But if you are so wounded or angry that you interpret every word used in the worst possible light and assume that it was aimed straight at you, then you need to evaluate your own condition and not put all the blame on others. This is not the place to take out your own issues on your fellow fans. If you come here to vent (within the TOS), allow others to do the same. If you don't like venting, skip those posts and engage in other conversations. You do not have to reply to everything you disagree with, or even everything that is said to you.

You are not a victim. Your fellow fans are not your enemies. They cannot fix what you don't like about the movies. They cannot make you feel differently than you do (pro or con) about them. But if you give them a chance, they can make you think about things that might otherwise never have occurred to you. And if you treat them as friends rather than foes, you'll find that there's understanding and empathy galore to be had from them even with the differences. Please, my fellow TORNsibs, quit jumping on each other at every opportunity. It benefits nobody. Frown

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 9 2013, 11:02pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 9 2013, 11:46pm

Post #81 of 87 (127 views)
Shortcut
I never saw this, thanks Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in October 2010 along with Phillipa Boyens, when the labour dispute was coming to a head. I thought he looked and sounded absolutely terrible, and I found the interview quite hard to watch. Although I had mixed feelings about what had been going on in regard to the union issues, I felt really sad to see Peter Jackson in such a state, especially when his normal mode seems to be so cheery and relaxed.
Obviously he was under a huge amount of stress at the time, but I have no idea if he was also physically unwell. He was hospitalised at the end of January 2011 due to the ulcer.

I found the interview. It's longish, but quite interesting to watch now that so much time has elapsed.

I agree, it wasn't a happy topic or interview, but concentrating on SPJ you can see the difference from his baseline secondary to all that. He looks quite significantly unwell, both in complexion and affect, but may not have known what was wrong yet. Many people do not until something happens.

You are right, not pleasant to see him that way. Glad he looks better today! Heart

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Noria
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 1:31am

Post #82 of 87 (129 views)
Shortcut
Good words and I'm sorry if I contributed to any bad feeling. That was not my object. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Starling, if I don't like a movie or book or whatever, I put it out of my mind and move onto the things I do like. We're all different but I'm interested in why others don't do that, what they hope to achieve a year after AUJ was released. I guess I'll have to accept that I'll never get it.

Overall I have enjoyed reading all the criticisms, which made me think about AUJ and it would be a boring discussion without them. The movie has flaws: I just don't care. It's kind of like love - if you focus on your partner's flaws, you won't be together long.

Part of the problem on this board, IMO, is that it seems as if the majority of the posters like AUJ so when a number of that group respond to someone who dislikes it, it feels to that poster that they are being ganged up on.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 11:39am

Post #83 of 87 (80 views)
Shortcut
Don't need the help, thanks.// [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 11:43am

Post #84 of 87 (77 views)
Shortcut
Well said.// [In reply to] Can't Post

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 12:36pm

Post #85 of 87 (76 views)
Shortcut
Entirely agree with your message! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is sad indeed that some here are so sensitive or in secure that an intent to be helpful is viewed as an insult - they would do well to read and reflect on moderator Silverload's post.

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 12:43pm

Post #86 of 87 (76 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil - for me this is the best post I have seen here in over ten years [In reply to] Can't Post

My love of Tolkien (and all the films) is from exactly this.

Pousette
Rivendell

Nov 12 2013, 2:42pm

Post #87 of 87 (41 views)
Shortcut
Negative comments [In reply to] Can't Post

Well put! Although, people must be able to express disappointment, shock, sadness and even certain amounts of anger; in a fan forum like this one.

As much as we ringers need to not take things personal, or go so low as to call each other names or ascribe opinions to our fellow fans; we also need to be able to moan, whine, fire up and generally b**** about our disappointments, without someone diminishing or mocking our opinions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.