Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to the 'cute alert' Fiesta Friday (warning, addictive cuteness inside)!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 2:07am

Post #51 of 83 (97 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't tiny fingers so amazing! What a sweet face. Heart How's Mom doing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 2:35am

Post #52 of 83 (88 views)
Shortcut
What colors! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's quite an assortment of fuzzballs! Yes, do tell what all breeds they are - and do they constantly pip?

My EE is supposed to arrive Wednesday...Smile For how long is your Mom going to be staying?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 2:43am

Post #53 of 83 (87 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I had [In reply to] Can't Post

a bantam named Goldie, too! She was lovely.

Must be a Kiwi thing. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 2:47am

Post #54 of 83 (92 views)
Shortcut
That's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

"goodies stuck together with just enough cake" is a fine description! I'm so glad to find a fellow aficionado.

I put sherry in the cake. I don't usually soak it, but if I feel the urge I use brandy.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 2:49am

Post #55 of 83 (88 views)
Shortcut
Recipe: Braided Honey Bread [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't I give this a Middle-earth type of name! I think both Hobbits and Beorn might like it. Smile It's what I've been making this evening. The timing works well for starting a second batch once the first batch is braided and on its' second rise.

Ingredients:
3/4 c. butter, divided
3/4 c. milk, divided
1/2 c. water
5-6 c. flour, divided
2 pkg. yeast, at room temperature
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cardamom (optional)
1/2 c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla, divided
2 eggs at room temperature
1-2 c. confectioner's sugar

Directions:
In a small pan, heat 1/2 c. butter, 1/2 c. milk, and the water until the butter is melted and the temperature reaches 110ș to 120ș F. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 2 c. flour, the yeast, salt, and cardamom.

Beat in the heated liquids, honey, 1 tsp. vanilla, and the eggs. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until the dough can be handled for kneading. Knead 200 times on floured board, kneading in more flour as needed. Place in a medium-sized greased bowl; cover and let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size, 1 to 2 hours.

Punch down the dough. Lightly grease 2 or 3 baking sheets. Divide the dough into halves (for 2 large loaves) or thirds (for 3 smaller loaves). Divide each of these portions into thirds. Roll each of these thirds into a rope, about 14”-18” long. On each sheet, make braids using the 3 ropes. Tuck the ends under. Cover braids; let rise in warm place until double, 1/2 to 1 hour. [Note: when making 3 braids, I can fit 2 braids on one large baking sheet. I cover them with linen cloths.]

Bake at 350ș for 18 min. To prevent over-browning, cover with foil for first 12 minutes.
Remove to cooling rack. When cool, frost and decorate as desired.

For the frosting, melt 1/4 cup butter in a small pan. Keeping heat on low, mix in enough confectioner’s sugar until it becomes a lump. Blend in 1 tsp. vanilla, then add the milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until the frosting is a good consistency to spoon over the braids. Be careful, a little milk goes a long way!

Decorate with candied cherries, nuts, sprinkles, etc.

I place each on the foil with which I covered it in the oven, then frost, then when the frosting is set I pull the foil up the sides and wrap with plastic wrap.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 3:35am

Post #56 of 83 (96 views)
Shortcut
Something like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now if only that worked for my mother-in-law...

You're in danger of complete boredom if you get me talking about my chickens! But since you asked...

The black chicks in the picture have my black Orpington rooster Daisy for a dad, and their moms could be any of the following: purebred Barnevelder; purebred Barred Plymouth Rock; crossbred 1/2 Araucana 1/2 Rhode Island Red; crossbred 1/2 Barred Plymouth Rock, 1/2 Araucana. The yellow ones are White Leghorn/Arauacana crosses with my Araucana rooster Woodstock for the dad. The grey ones have Woodstock for dad and either a Splash Leghorn mom or one of the other moms that could have been crossed with Daisy. (Araucanas, by the way, are the "Easter Egg" breed -- they lay blue eggs. Crossbred Araucanas lay eggs in various shades of blue and green right down to a really dark olive green -- very funny looking!)

I also have purebred Araucanas and purebred Orpingtons but they're not in this particular picture!

Current batch of chicks is purebred Araucana, purebred Orpington, or the Leghorn/Araucana crosses, plus one that's 3/4 Araucana and 1/4 Barred Plymouth Rock.

Here's this batch! I just got some pictures.

Four purebred Orpingtons (one black, two blue, one surprise):

The light-coloured one is a complete surprise -- my rooster, being black, can't produce that colour. Only he obviously did!
Here it is closer up:

And here's the Leghorn/Araucana crosses. There's two grey ones (only one in the pic) and they're also a complete surprise! Some of the yellow ones have cute grey spots on their backs.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 3:41am

Post #57 of 83 (94 views)
Shortcut
Yup -- I love the variety! [In reply to] Can't Post

See my reply to Starling for breeds and pictures of the new batch!

They do peep constantly -- but you can listen to the general tone of all of them collectively to tell if everything's ok, or if they're generally unhappy (out of food! out of water!), or if there's one in particular in distress. Fortunately they go to sleep at night and stay quiet as long as it's dark!

It's hard to wait, isn't it, while everyone else gets to watch the EE? I'm soooo impatient.

My mom's here for as long as she wants to be! At least through Christmas, quite possibly a whole lot longer. Last time she came before Christmas and stayed til May. Love her, but she does put a damper on my geeking out over all things Hobbity.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 4:42am

Post #58 of 83 (87 views)
Shortcut
We read to our kids... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the time they were born.

Now we have:

a 21 yo illustration major who will be doing her Masters in Library Science in Dublin and is currently working in a rare book store.
a 19 yo who was a library page for 4 years and is now a pastry chef who likes to design cakes that tell a story
a 16 yo who wants to be a teacher and reads history "for fun"
a 13 yo who is a library aide and future teacher/writer
a 9 yo who reads on a Sophomore level and likes to write her own stories.

You can never go wrong with a good book! Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 4:47am

Post #59 of 83 (90 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure your neighbors don't have a rooster? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Hawaii, there are a lot of feral chickens everywhere, since the original polynesian settlers brought some, and they didn't believe in caging or penning them.

Adorable pictures. Your kids are really lucky!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 9 2013, 4:48am

Post #60 of 83 (92 views)
Shortcut
It is impossible to bore me with talk of poultry [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved reading all that info! I demand to see more pictures of them as they get bigger.
I grew up surrounded by poultry. They were very keen on coming inside the house, and my mother fought an endless battle trying to keep them out. I think she secretly really liked it when they came in, especially the little game fowl hen who laid an egg a day in the woven flax waste paper basket.
Someone who lives near me has roosters, and I love hearing them crowing. It gives me a lovely feeling of being at home on the farm, and always makes me think of my Mum.

Since there is a certain film due to be released in the near future, perhaps it is time for a Cantabrian geeky get together. Cool

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 6:42am

Post #61 of 83 (111 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes to Sil! Get well soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your breads sound delicious, Dernwyn!

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 10:23am

Post #62 of 83 (80 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear about Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping he is completely well soon. We've been wondering why he wasn't around.

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 9 2013, 10:31am

Post #63 of 83 (79 views)
Shortcut
My mother in law used to [In reply to] Can't Post

Soak her cakes in brandy & put Jack Daniels in them. They were at least a bit edible.Wink

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 9 2013, 10:35am

Post #64 of 83 (75 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't going to buy [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit AUJ EE but now I'm thinking I might have to have it. I liked the movie but there were a lot of things I didn't like about it. Is it worth it for the extra features?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2013, 10:50am

Post #65 of 83 (88 views)
Shortcut
Ah, fruitcake... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the reason so many Americans dislike it is that the store-bought ones tend to be pretty awful (I've had one that was all full of maraschino cherries - ugh) and not that many people make their own anymore. There's always a big difference between pre-packaged and homemade.

But in honor of this discussion, whether you like fruitcake or not, I offer this. Angelic

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Advising Elf
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 1:09pm

Post #66 of 83 (74 views)
Shortcut
I will! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Monday off!

You have a good one, too!

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Nov 9 2013, 3:07pm

Post #67 of 83 (73 views)
Shortcut
Not just Kiwi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a buff colored Japanese bantam named Goldie - and I am from the US!

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 9:48pm

Post #68 of 83 (55 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! HappyHappyHappy "first" birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

She is so beautiful!SmileSmileSmile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 9:53pm

Post #69 of 83 (67 views)
Shortcut
So, which way [In reply to] Can't Post

does that one go? I can't picture it (been too long).

And I was wondering, did Fall River Road wash out too, or was it spared?

Please say "Hi" to Estes for me if you get there! Are you going to hike, or just putter around town? I'm dying to actually buy some jewelry there next time instead of just look at it (or pick up a Sting replica if that store is still there . . .)

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 9 2013, 11:00pm

Post #70 of 83 (57 views)
Shortcut
So...many...chicks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, that sounds like something RA might say. Wink

They are beautiful! Congrats on such a hatching success!!!!!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 12:17am

Post #71 of 83 (58 views)
Shortcut
I think the extras are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you like the vlogs, then I'd say you'd like the EE extras. I just love all the background detail and conversations with the actors and crew about what went on behind the scenes. It was really cool to see the actor's auditions (RA was amazing!). There were a lot of funny moments, as well as some really touching ones that made me cry. It's just amazing to see how much heart and soul went into these movies. Smile

cats16
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 4:54am

Post #72 of 83 (34 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations!! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 5:04am

Post #73 of 83 (36 views)
Shortcut
A little late... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't touched my computer in two days (not complaining at all!). I've been busy still; thankfully, my schedule looks to be much less stressful beginning this coming week. So there's a positive! Hoping to pop in the EE for the first time either during the week or next weekend. It's been difficult to have it on the shelf since Monday but not be able to watch anything. It's going to be quite a relaxing few hours, once I sit down to it. I definitely need it.

Hard to believe it's almost halfway through November. Winter is a-comin'!

Everyone have a great second half of your weekend. Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 6:19am

Post #74 of 83 (34 views)
Shortcut
Dear sil, we're here for you [In reply to] Can't Post

and here's hoping you're back to feeling like yourself very soon!

Here's nice big mug of ginger tea!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 10 2013, 7:00am

Post #75 of 83 (44 views)
Shortcut
That one goes [In reply to] Can't Post

through Longmont and up to Estes.

If by Fall River Road you mean the road from Endovalley up to Trail Ridge, I don't know. But here's a photo Uncle Baggins took in September of the road into Endovalley. We were looking down from Trail Ridge. That white stuff is not snow, but mud and rocks. That's at the place called the Alluvial Fan, where the flood of 1982 made a huge gash in the mountainside when the dam broke. This flood brought a lot more debris down that creek. Here's another view You can see where the mudslide went right across the road.

If you didn't see it before, here's our album of our trip to Estes in September. It was a looong way around, though Golden, at that time. It took all day to get there, so we spent the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 10 2013, 7:04am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.