Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Evangeline Lily revealed Tauriel's backstory

Eruvandi
Gondor

Nov 9 2013, 2:23am

Views: 1449
Shortcut
Evangeline Lily revealed Tauriel's backstory Can't Post

I don’t think I’ve seen any other threads about this, but I apologize if this has already been discussed. I think it was yesterday that either TORn or the Official Hobbit movie tweeted a link to an EW Exclusive Video entitled “’The Hobbit’: Evangeline Lilly’s elven warrior Tauriel is…Batman?” Honestly, with a title like that I almost didn’t watch the video because I thought it would just be an excerpt from the live event a few days ago that I had already seen where they were just joking around or something.

It turns out, the video, first of all has nothing to do with Batman. That was just a stupid and fleeting remark the host made because he was trying to be funny. Secondly, it is an interview with more fan questions for Evangeline Lily that occurred after the live event was over. Therefore, even if you watched the live event online you would not have seen this at that time.

There wasn’t a whole lot of new stuff that I hadn’t heard EL say before in other interviews, although there were a few semi-new things and the interview overall was fairly interesting, mostly because IMO Evangeline is a very charming lady!

The one thing that I had never heard before came up when the host asked EL to tell him something about Tauriel that Evangeline loves and that may make other people love her too. Perhaps something like a character trait or something about her past. Evangeline goes on to say:

“You mentioned something that sort of triggered something in my mind, which is ‘Tell me something about her past’ and a lot of people won’t know because it doesn’t have a place in the film anymore. At one point it kind of did, but a part of Tauriel’s backstory is that she is an orphan. Her parents were killed by orcs. When you understand that, you suddenly understand how and why this girl became the lethal killing machine that she is, how she became the head of the elven guard, how she got taken under Thranduil’s wings, and why she’s so passionate about fighting the evil that is in Middle Earth”

Now, I found this very interesting and rather clarifying and I think, just like EL said, that it answers a number of questions people both here and elsewhere have had about Tauriel.

For one thing, we’ve wondered if someone she loved died at some point or if she was wronged at some time and clearly the answer is “yes”. Her parents died and that event is apparently what drives her actions and causes her to fight so hard for justice.

Second, we’ve wondered why Thranduil has a “soft spot” for Tauriel and “sees potential in her”. We’ve also wondered how such a young elf has managed to become captain of the guard. Given what EL said, the answer to this (at least the way I’m interpreting it) is that he has a soft spot for Tauriel because although she was orphaned when her parents killed by orcs, Tauriel is still very strong and independent. The way I see it, Thranduil probably pitied her initially because she was alone in the world, but as she grew she showed how strong she was despite her situation and he now realizes that she has the potential to make something of herself (You know, whatever it is that elves can make of themselves).

Here’s the link to the video: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/05/the-hobbit-evangeline-lillys-elven-warrior-tauriel-is-batman-video/ The host asks the question right around 10:50 and Evangeline’s answer goes until the end of the video.

So, let’s get a discussion started! What do you think of EL’s explanation of Tauriel’s past and how do you interpret what she said into answers for questions you may have had?

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Nov 9 2013, 2:24am)

Subject User Time
Evangeline Lily revealed Tauriel's backstory Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Nov 9 2013, 2:23am
    Makes sense Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Nov 9 2013, 4:12am
        Unless something changes... Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Nov 9 2013, 3:23pm
    DoS Extended Edition material DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 9 2013, 4:20am
        Yes, I'm aware and I wasn't really offended by the remark, I just... Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Nov 9 2013, 3:17pm
            Sorry to hear about your hard day... DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 9 2013, 3:32pm
                Thank you! Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Nov 9 2013, 3:39pm
    Batman Tariel comparison TheOneTony Send a private message to TheOneTony Nov 9 2013, 1:40pm
    This is not aimed at you Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Nov 10 2013, 2:30am
        You're not alone... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Nov 10 2013, 7:52am
            The explanation is the topic of the whole thread DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 10 2013, 9:04am
                Don't know why Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Nov 10 2013, 7:49pm
                    maybe that's intended Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Nov 11 2013, 12:11am
            That's great to know Eleniel Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Nov 10 2013, 7:24pm
                :) Nagini6 Send a private message to Nagini6 Nov 10 2013, 8:39pm
        Exactly my thoughts! Symbelmine Send a private message to Symbelmine Nov 10 2013, 4:44pm
            Glad to hear it! // Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Nov 10 2013, 7:39pm
        Hehe... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 10 2013, 5:12pm
            Same here Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Nov 10 2013, 7:41pm
                Me too Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 10 2013, 10:47pm
                    Iam not happy at all about her Êleniel Tindome Send a private message to Êleniel Tindome Nov 12 2013, 2:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.