Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: The Battle of Moria

Queen of Erebor
Rivendell

Nov 8 2013, 11:36pm

Views: 515
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: The Battle of Moria Can't Post

Yay! I finally get to do one of these things without anyone taking it away this time! With all the news of the upcoming DoS, I don't think anyone would have anyways. Since there's quite a lot of stuff going on in this particular chapter, I may have to split this in two. Just thought I would warn you ahead of time.Wink

Note to the Mods: Due to the Live Event and the new trailer for the upcoming DoS, I didn't get around to saving any screenshots, so feel free to add some if you wish.

The chapter begins with Bilbo being awakened by Bombur's snoring.

1. Bilbo looks quite annoyed to be awoken by Bombur's snoring. What do you think he's thinking at this particular moment in the journey?

The next scene, we see Bilbo get up and stretch and go over to one of the ponies. According to the Hobbit, the pony's name is Myrtle. He then feeds her an apple and asks her not to tell anyone.

2. Why do you think Bilbo doesn't want anyone to know that he fed Myrtle an apple? Do you think he feels guilty about feeding one of the ponies without being asked to do so?

It's at this time that we hear one of the Orcs that infest the Lone Lands screech and Bilbo ask "What was that?" only to be told by Fili and Kili that the sound the Hobbit hears is the Orc pack that will later pursue the company.

3. Do you think that Fili and Kili were trying to scare Bilbo with what Orcs may or may not do, or were they simply trying to inform him what they were and what they were capable of.

In the next scene, we see Thorin telling Kili that "night raid by Orcs are no joke and that he knows nothing of the world."

4. Do you think Thorin was annoyed by what Fili and Kili told Bilbo about Orcs, or was he simply trying to put Kili in his place, so to speak?

We then hear Balin step in and tell Bilbo and anyone else who may be listening to "not mind Thorin, since he has more reason than most to hate Orcs and then goes on to tell us about the Battle of Azanulbizar.

5. What do you think of Balin telling the story of the flashback scene back to the Battle of Azanulbizar? Do you think he's a good a storyteller as his cousin Gimli is in the LotR?

Balin tells us that "Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs, led by the most vile of their race, Azog the Defiler.

6. What did you first think of Azog? Did you like this change from the book to be left alive during the time of the Hobbit, or would you have preferred them to stick with canon in this particular time in the story?

Azog's first dastardly deed is the beheading of Thorin's grandfather, Thror, which certainly gets a rise out of him.

7. What was your first reaction to this particular scene, and why do you think that Azog wants to wipe out the line of Durin?

It's at this particular time that we learn how Thorin earned his nickname.

8. Do you like this deviation from the book, where the "oakenshield" branch is lying on the ground rather than being broken off by Thorin, or do you wish they would have filmed it as written?

It's shortly after this that Thorin slices off Azog's arm (though I still think he should have sliced off his head, but I guess Dwarves can't reach up that high) and that's we're told by Balin that "Azog learned that day that the line of Durin could not be so easily broken."

9. What do you think Azog was thinking at this moment? Do you think he expected Thorin to best him in the way that he did? And what of Thorin? What do you think he was thinking after that little bit of victory that caused Azog to be dragged back into Moria by some of his brethren?

Shortly after, we learn from Balin that even though they were able to defeat their enemies, there was no feast that day, due to the fact that there were heavy casualties among the Dwarves who came to take back Moria shortly after the dragon took Erebor. We see Dwalin with a mohawk haircut, and Balin's hair is more gray than white.

10. What do you think of Dwalin's mohawk haircut? Were you expecting a dwarf to have that kind of hairstyle?

It seems I'm running a little low on time, so I'll post some more questions tomorrow. Like I stated above, there's a lot of stuff happening in this particular chapter, so I look forward to your responses for the first part.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: The Battle of Moria Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Nov 8 2013, 11:36pm
    Quick response. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 8 2013, 11:52pm
    .... vinsanity Send a private message to vinsanity Nov 9 2013, 1:03am
    On the road again... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 9 2013, 4:34am
    What IS making that screeching noise, anyway? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Nov 9 2013, 3:41pm
        And here are the remaining four questions... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Nov 9 2013, 10:52pm
            And my remaining answers... Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 9 2013, 11:36pm
            my answers vinsanity Send a private message to vinsanity Nov 10 2013, 1:15am
            It is well known, if Gandalf finds Thrain in Moria, not Dol Guldur, I very much want a hint of Balrog, the TRUE AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 10 2013, 8:19am
            Remaining answers Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 10 2013, 4:06pm
    My response and a photo Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 9 2013, 10:39pm
    I'm sorry this is late but I'd really like to comment on this scene Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Dec 6 2013, 11:47am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.