The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Sunday August 10th in Denver?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 11 2008, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 20 (688 views)
Shortcut
Sunday August 10th in Denver? Can't Post

We've been discussing getting together in Estes Park after the big World Science Fiction Convention in Denver, which runs August 6-10, and which J Random Rohirrim and I will be attending.

The Gaffer and I have just bitten our bullets, so to speak, and admitted that with our trip Down Under in March, plus my attending two conventions in April (Romantic Times in Pittsburgh and Malice Domestic in Washington DC), spending several extra days in Colorado would be prohibitive both financially and in terms of energy.

Not that hanging out with everyone in Estes Park wouldn't have been great fun!

What we're hoping is that, if we stay over Sunday night, August 10th, after the convention, we can lure Aunt Dora, Altaira, Rosie Lass, and anyone else in the area to an afternoon moot there in downtown Denver. Isn't there a mall area near the convention center, with various shops and restaurants, where we could eat, drink, wander around, and just kick back for a while?

JRR, what say you?

What say everyone else?

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 11 2008, 5:35pm

Post #2 of 20 (525 views)
Shortcut
Sorry You Can't Hang Around [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I quite understand.

Worldcon Sunday afternoon/dinner in Denver would be fine by me. I'm running the Hugos Saturday night, so things will be wildly busy the previous day. By Sunday, I will really need to chill, so hanging out with TONSibs would be great..

Monday, August 11, Jim and I are driving down to Pikes Peak, and are staying at a nearby inn. We're going to Craftwood Inn for dinner.

Tuesday & Wednesday, I expect we'll be somewhere in Estes State Park, but I haven't made definite plans yet. Thursday, we'lre flying home.

It's Official! Jackson to Produce The Hobbit! Woot! Woot!

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Jan 11 2008, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 20 (550 views)
Shortcut
World con [In reply to] Can't Post

Aww, shucks, am I going to miss seeing you all if I decided not to go to world con this year?

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 11 2008, 11:40pm

Post #4 of 20 (541 views)
Shortcut
I *definitely* want to meet you, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about the aborted plans, but I know very well how that goes. I'm certainly willing to choke down my fear of LoDo if that's what it takes to meet you ;-) And I'm still up for other doings with other folks afterwards.

What time does the convention end? I'm wondering if it would be worth while to drive a little way up into the mountains for the micro-moot, up to Golden or Idaho Springs or something. There's some spectacular scenery not too far west of Denver. Or if would be simpler to meet in LoDo, that's fine too. It just seems kind of silly to me to come all the way to Colorado and not get into the mountains, but not everybody's as into mountains as I am. :-) But the mooting is the main thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 11 2008, 11:40pm)

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 12 2008, 2:26pm

Post #5 of 20 (513 views)
Shortcut
And my husband is afraid of heights! [In reply to] Can't Post

But, he says he'll go into the Rockies, so long as I'm driving. And, when we hike, I hike closer to the edge.

The con ends Sunday afternoon, August 10. I have to help some with tear down, but would like to get together with other folks in the area.

What I'd like to find for Tuesday and Wednesday night after Worldcon is a rustic lodge kind of place in the mountains that isn't all that expensive. As I looked at some information about Estes State Park, I thought I'd found a few places that weren't too bad. Colorado, even in the summer, is much more expensive than I thought!

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 12 2008, 4:54pm

Post #6 of 20 (496 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty much tourist season here year round [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two questions: What time will you be available Sunday, JRR, and will Lily and MrLily have a car?

What I was thinking is that you could all come to our house! That way Aunt Dora wouldn't have to brave downtown Denver. It only takes about 30 mins tops to get to our place and we have a stunning view of the mountains (granted, the best view is from our loft room, so MrJRR will have to brave the stairs. Wink

If Lily and MrLily have a car everyone could come whenever they can make it from, say, mid- to late-afternoon on. If not, maybe they could catch a ride with the JRRs. (p.s., the invited goes for other TORnsibs who are planning to be at the convention, or who live in the area, but haven't chimed in yet).

Other options: if you'd like to get closer to the mountains we could meet in Boulder, which has amazing scenery or, if the other convention goers (I think BG and I will go at least one day) just don't feel like driving at all, we could meet at an Irish pub downtown where we usually hold our Tolkien Toast.

As with the Lily's, BG especially won't be able to take any time off into that week as we're also saving vacation time and money for this year's trips, but I could come meet everyone wherever you decide to stay on Tue or Wed for a day's worth of activities.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 12 2008, 7:35pm

Post #7 of 20 (544 views)
Shortcut
Mountains, Gandalf, mountains! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora is right, it's a shame to come to Denver without going a bit further into the mountains -- we've spent at least two family vacations in Estes Park and near Gunnison. However, like going to NZ and doing only the North Island, we're caught up in forces beyond our control and are going to have see that glass as half-full: We will enjoy NZ, Denver, and meeting TORnsibs, never mind what we're NOT going to get to do!

Why thank you for the invitation, Altaira! You mean we can actually genuflect in front of the original Map?

I can't speak for JRR and Mr JRR, but the Gaffer and I won't have a car. However, we can most certainly rent one for that Sunday. Without seeing the actual convention schedule, I assume we, at least, will be free by early afternoon.

I hope you and BG can make it to the convention itself for a day -- I'll PM you with my own schedule once I know it.

So we have Aunt Dora, Altaira, JRR, me, and spousal units thereof. Anyone else?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 13 2008, 8:05pm

Post #8 of 20 (535 views)
Shortcut
Stunning [In reply to] Can't Post

view indeed. The Altairas' place is gorgeous.

But I'm willing to brave the drive to Denver if that's better for people. I have to grow up sometime. I did it to hear Terry Pratchett, so I could certainly do it to meet TORnsibs :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14 2008, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 20 (463 views)
Shortcut
Probably me. [In reply to] Can't Post

SLC isn't exactly *close*, but it's not so far as to make mooting in Denver impossible. I tend to make the trip a few times a year anyway.

Inferno.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 14 2008, 3:05pm

Post #10 of 20 (472 views)
Shortcut
I sympathize [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to drive in downtown/busy areas, too.

The Gaffer and I would have no problem at all coming to Altaira's house. As long as we can bring snacks or pizza or something! Then we can carry on a bit without other patrons of the restaurant giving us funny looks, although I suppose most restaurant moots produce some funny looks, especially when someone leaps up on the table and starts singing about babbling brooks and green dragons Laugh

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 14 2008, 3:06pm

Post #11 of 20 (458 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you can join us, Inferno. The more the merrier! (And probably the pippiner, too....)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 14 2008, 3:38pm

Post #12 of 20 (440 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I'm going to start using that. [In reply to] Can't Post

The more the pippiner. Heee!

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 14 2008, 3:43pm

Post #13 of 20 (451 views)
Shortcut
Can Jim and I grab seats with you if we go out of town? [In reply to] Can't Post

We're hoping to not pick up our rental car until Monday morning (we never have time to use a rental during a Worldcon anyway!). We're willing to contribute towards your gas and car rental.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 14 2008, 4:19pm

Post #14 of 20 (475 views)
Shortcut
Sure, no problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume we can get a car for just the Sunday, from some place in the vicinity of the the convention center.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 14 2008, 7:14pm

Post #15 of 20 (463 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

FYI, you can rent from Hertz at the Marriott City Center (one of the Denvention hotels).

Annael
Immortal

Feb 5 2008, 8:06pm

Post #16 of 20 (437 views)
Shortcut
Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've talked before about mooting in Colorado in August, and I've kept it at the forefront of my vacation plans. Haven't yet decided if I'll drive from Seattle or fly or what.

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 5 2008, 9:30pm

Post #17 of 20 (424 views)
Shortcut
If you end up driving [In reply to] Can't Post

We should carpool/caravan. =)

Inferno.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 5 2008, 10:20pm

Post #18 of 20 (489 views)
Shortcut
All right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to it!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 7 2008, 5:12am

Post #19 of 20 (698 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great news about you and Inferno! I was wondering if you were still planning a visit in August. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Feb 13 2008, 3:39pm

Post #20 of 20 (486 views)
Shortcut
indeedy [In reply to] Can't Post

as I would go through SLC.

Although I might do a loop & go home through Montana . . .

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.