Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How much of a re-reader are you?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How much of a re-reader are you?
Every year I will have re-read some books.
Every few years I'll re-read a book or two.
I'll re-read a book rarely.
I'm strictly a one-reading-per-book person.
Other.
View Results (76 votes)

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 10:18pm

Post #26 of 34 (113 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Most books I read just the once. Some I might go back to read for a second time after several years. And then there's a select few that I re-read almost annually.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 2 2013, 1:57pm

Post #27 of 34 (91 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit - nuff said.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2013, 4:11pm

Post #28 of 34 (98 views)
Shortcut
I have a tradition of re-reading [In reply to] Can't Post

Persuasion every few years but always in the fall

Emma in the spring, again every few years

Pride and Prejudice when I'm in need of a reality check. (Both Lizzy and Darcy get one.)

LOTR when I need to remember that my wanderings are OK (which seems to be often lately).

Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg series (starting with Dawn's Early Light) every time I chaperone one of my kids on their 5th grade to Williamsburg. It gives me the feeling that I'm walking around in the town. Someday when I grow up, I will move there and dress up and be one of those cool docents that makes the place come alive.

When I'm missing my Grandma, I read one of her Frances Parkinson Keyes books Dinner at Antoine's or Crescent Carnival) or Anne of Green Gables or Little Women.

When I'm missing my Grandpa - The Alaskan or The Great Lakes by Oliver Curwood or The Virginian. by Owen Wister

When I'm writing and especially revising, I read The Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold, master of tight 3rd party narrative. Then I go back to my own writing, cry a little, throw a few things and become the ruthless b****** I need to be to make at least that draft better.

Books are like best friends. They give me hours of enjoyment and teach me things along the way.

imin
Valinor

Nov 3 2013, 6:54pm

Post #29 of 34 (101 views)
Shortcut
Re-read Middle-earth books every year [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a definite time when i re-read LOTR but it is from any time now to Feb/March depends on whether i read it before TH or after. I re-read TH between christmas and new year and have done so for almost 20 years now, it is for me as much a part of xmas as santa :P

After reading those two greats, i go and generally read further in M-e, recently it has been COH i have been re-reading lots, though last winter i read through everything once again and got in a few History of Middle-earth books.

I find as the world is so intricate and real life is full of fun challenges i forget the finer details and it's like reading it for the first time again! Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2013, 1:11am

Post #30 of 34 (123 views)
Shortcut
Compulsive re-reader here too. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me to really love a book, I have to enjoy how it is written as well as the story itself. An enjoyable writing style makes a book fun to re-read even when you already know everything that's going to happen. So in the intervals of my constant search for new authors to love, I re-read old favorites. It's like hanging out with old friends that you've known since forever. Smile

RangerLady23
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 9:55pm

Post #31 of 34 (92 views)
Shortcut
I love re-reading some [In reply to] Can't Post

I always reread LotR and the Hobbit, sometimes the Silmarillion and the Harry Potter's. Other than that, it's just if a book strikes me that I really like.

Elwen
Lorien

Nov 8 2013, 6:38pm

Post #32 of 34 (44 views)
Shortcut
Actually she was OK with it. Surprisingly.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elwen
Lorien

Nov 8 2013, 6:39pm

Post #33 of 34 (52 views)
Shortcut
I told her it was a book I love by my favorite author... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that it is therefore a "special case." Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2013, 8:12pm

Post #34 of 34 (52 views)
Shortcut
Big re-reader [In reply to] Can't Post

I have reread a very large number of books (more than I could possibly remember or count at this late date). And I've been a re-reader since childhood. Some books I can reread one a year or more often (LOTR would be the biggest example, first started rereading that one at age 9, having finished my first read through the previous year...), some I like to give myself time to forget (mysteries, in particular, I'm not good enough at forgetting to be surprised at the end, but I do like not to remember all of the clues and twists from the start) and others still I will read when I am in a certain mood and know I will enjoy them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.