Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
November: what's your favorite Tolkien quote, and why?

CuriousG
Valinor

Nov 7 2013, 3:28am

Post #1 of 16 (352 views)
Shortcut
November: what's your favorite Tolkien quote, and why? Can't Post

This month I'll go with a humorous one:

Gandalf to Saruman after Isengard has been destroyed and Saruman asks why he should bother leaving Orthanc. "Reasons for leaving you can see from your windows." He might as well have added, ", you idiot."

Yours?

star
Rivendell

Nov 7 2013, 4:41am

Post #2 of 16 (256 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites from the Hobbit book [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Bilbo:

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is morning to be good on?"

I like it because it is just simply something my Grandad would of said, he was always talking this way.

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 7 2013, 9:00am

Post #3 of 16 (250 views)
Shortcut
A couple of favourites.. [In reply to] Can't Post

“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

And...

“The wise speak only of what they know, Gríma son of Gálmód. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy words with a serving-man till the lightning falls.”

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2013, 2:10pm

Post #4 of 16 (213 views)
Shortcut
Theoden is always quotable [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now are the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Very sad and expressive. Where are the good days? Where is hope?

This poem always 'gets' me. Each time I hear/read it, I get nostalgic.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

CuriousG
Valinor

Nov 7 2013, 2:32pm

Post #5 of 16 (192 views)
Shortcut
That's a great Faramir quote [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often.

CuriousG
Valinor

Nov 7 2013, 2:32pm

Post #6 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf as likeable smart-aleck // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 7 2013, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 16 (192 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf when cranky [In reply to] Can't Post

is still endearing. "For myself I should like a pipe to smoke in comfort, and warmer feet.' and "If Elves could fly over the mountains they might fetch the sun to save us."

Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 7 2013, 3:29pm

Post #8 of 16 (174 views)
Shortcut
'If you don't let me in, Frodo, I shall blow your door right down your hole and out through the hill,' he said. / [In reply to] Can't Post

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-JRR Tolkien

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Nov 7 2013, 4:58pm

Post #9 of 16 (186 views)
Shortcut
there are so many, but do you have a Least favorite quote? [In reply to] Can't Post

One quote that just drives you nuts? For me, and I understand the irony of me saying this, I cannot stand Old Tom's "Bombadillo-ing"

Not all those who wander are lost

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7 2013, 6:30pm

Post #10 of 16 (193 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien cracking a funny: [In reply to] Can't Post

(Lobelia): "You're no Baggins - you - you're a Brandybuck!"
"Did you hear that Merry? That was an insult, if you like," said Frodo as he shut the door.
"It was a compliment," said Merry Brandybuck, "and so, of course, not true."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mikah
Lorien

Nov 8 2013, 12:09am

Post #11 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
Beren telling off Thingol... [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite Tolkien quote is from the Silmarillion. My favorite everything is from the Sil, I am predictable like that.

"Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you of baseborn, nor spy, nor thrall. By the ring of Felagund, that he gave to Barahir my father on the battlefield of the North, my house has not earned such names from any elf, be he king or no."

Beren was indeed a badass...gotta love him!

(This post was edited by Mikah on Nov 8 2013, 12:09am)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 8 2013, 3:27am

Post #12 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
My favorite quote? Which one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just go with the one I use as my signature! In fact, that's why I chose to put it there. I know it's not funny, as most of the rest of you are going with (although I do like the, "It was a compliment, and so, of course, not true," one very much as well Tongue), but it's one of the few that really sticks with me. Ever since I read a book called The Philosophy of Tolkien by Peter Kreeft I realized just how much Middle-earth embodies my views on the world, on life, on morality, and so forth. This is one of the lines/paragraphs that truly demonstrates that.

Plus, Aragorn is just awesome in that chapter and says several philosophical things of this sort. (It helps that Eomer is introduced in that chapter. Laugh I just love Eomer's personality, okay? He really got shortchanged in the movie.)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

squire
Valinor

Nov 8 2013, 3:59am

Post #13 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
'My dear ass, your pack is lying by your bed, and you had it on your back when I met you.' [In reply to] Can't Post

'He saw it all the time, of course.'

Actually that whole sequence is a classic of Tolkien's dry and underplayed humor in LotR. I imagine he was afraid of being too funny for fear of violating the overall tone of the piece, so we take what we can get. We can say of Tolkien what Pippin says of Strider in this scene:

'Was there ever any one like him?'

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

sador
Half-elven

Nov 8 2013, 3:59am

Post #14 of 16 (144 views)
Shortcut
'A bag of gold for everybody, and diamonds for the ladies?' [In reply to] Can't Post

...said Chrysophylax hurriedly.
'Now you're talking, but not good enough,' said Giles. 'You've left dogs out again,' said Garm. 'What size of bags?' said the men. 'How many diamonds?' asked their wives.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 8 2013, 2:51pm

Post #15 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
I love your first one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had completely forgotten about it, but it's a great one.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Wayward
The Shire

Nov 8 2013, 3:39pm

Post #16 of 16 (154 views)
Shortcut
On trees. Always makes me smile. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I should've liked to have been able to make contact with a tree and find out what it feels about things. *laughs*"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.