The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How Bofur's song should have ended IMHO

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 13 (686 views)
Shortcut
How Bofur's song should have ended IMHO Can't Post

In the Appendices we see a bit of Nesbitt saying "And thats music" as he is "bowing" at the end of his song

I think this would have been a much better and funnier ending than the food throwing, what do you guys think?

bungobaggins
Lorien

Nov 6 2013, 5:13pm

Post #2 of 13 (434 views)
Shortcut
Sounds much better to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I want to see a food fight I'll visit a middle-school cafeteria.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2013, 5:43pm

Post #3 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
I think it's likely ... [In reply to] Can't Post

10 years ago, when The Lord of the Rings extended edition films were released, they were still unsure how much of an audience they would draw in from the extended editions. Today, they know exactly how they can make money out of the franchise, and they're very aware that there's an audience for it (for both trilogies).

Therefore, I think it's likely that after There and Back Again is released, they will end up releasing an ultimate special edition of The Hobbit trilogy, with even more extended scenes. When I first saw the extended edition, I thought the editing was quite choppy and abrupt - probably because there is even more material between scenes re-inserted.

There's plenty more fighting with the Trolls and in the Goblin tunnels, various shots of Dwarves on location we still haven't seen, as well as more from the Goblin Scribe (whatever did happen to him?), and more of Azanulbizar.

I think it's unlikely we'll ever get an ultimate special edition of The Lord of the Rings simply because it would be more difficult to process (on film, rather than digital).

I'd carry on chucking my money at them, if they keep giving me what I want. Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 6 2013, 5:43pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 13 (335 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to persuade myself to hold out for a Special Extended Edition. Of course, we all know how well that works... Wink

...Still hoping that Kili turning cartwheels and that shot of Fili and Thorin on the way to Rivendell makes it into a special or ultimate edition...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Nevrast
Bree

Nov 6 2013, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 13 (305 views)
Shortcut
PJ's sense of humour [In reply to] Can't Post

Is not really mine. Do the dwarves really have to have multiple food fights?

adnan
Rivendell

Nov 6 2013, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 13 (266 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope what you state is true...I mean I'm waiting for the extended edition trilogy set anyways, so I haven't double dipped yet...it would be nice if they were gonna add extended stuff to the already extended material release that they at least have the courtesy to announce it. That way I will at least know its coming :)

Rivendell

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 13 (266 views)
Shortcut
I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

It achieves what PJ wanted. Some serious disrespect for the elves Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Ranger
The Shire

Nov 6 2013, 9:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (221 views)
Shortcut
A third food fight [In reply to] Can't Post

I secretly hope the dwarves will attempt to do the same in Beorn's house - but for a different reaction from the host!

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 9:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (211 views)
Shortcut
Qui-Gon Jinn style! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Don't do that again."

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 9:25pm

Post #10 of 13 (205 views)
Shortcut
The theatrical cuts are Peter's director's cut, hence why the song is cut [In reply to] Can't Post

He obviously knew the food fight was too much for the theatrical so cut it, but threw it in the EE as something fun. On the appendices he explains how because Rivendell is shown as such a respectful place in LOTR he wanted the Dwarves to completely fly in the face of that.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 6 2013, 10:13pm

Post #11 of 13 (172 views)
Shortcut
With technological and marketing advancments I'm hoping for ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The studios would release interactive DVD's that you can program to select exactly which scenes, or parts of scenes you want to watch and even in what order you want to watch them.
I recall some music CD's being released in the 90's that even allowed the listener to program the sounds. (Todd Rundgren comes to mind).
It would take a very self assured, non-risk averse studio to do something like that....

Nevrast
Bree

Nov 6 2013, 11:09pm

Post #12 of 13 (164 views)
Shortcut
PJ misinterprets the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where he got this idea that the dwarves are so crude and disrespectful. The dwarves of the Hobbit are ridiculous but in a completely different way than PJ portrays. They're self-important, often stupid, frequently oblivious, but generally don't purposefully disrespect the traditions and ways of others.

They also, as far as I recall, don't seem to have an affinity for chugging beer with it dripping down their faces, burping, throwing food, etc. PJ makes it just seem like this is how dwarves are, but I don't get that at all from Tolkien.

Stuff like the contract are funny things about the Dwarves out of Tolkien.

I thought Gimli was bad enough, but the dwarves in this movie make Gimli look positively elvish by comparison.

(That's another thing, PJ consistently makes the elves TOO perfect. Being subtle is not PJ's strong suit.)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 6 2013, 11:19pm

Post #13 of 13 (164 views)
Shortcut
Not in world & character creation, no - but neither is Tolkien imho. STorytelling and subtext is a different matter, however, for both books and movies imho. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(That's another thing, PJ consistently makes the elves TOO perfect. Being subtle is not PJ's strong suit.)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.