Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
End Credit Songs: with or without Shore?

jtg70

Nov 6 2013, 3:28pm

Views: 767
Shortcut
End Credit Songs: with or without Shore? Can't Post

I rarely post but I read all of the debate over Ed Sheeran on the boards and I noticed an important point wasn't brought up. Was Howard Shore involved to collaborate?

As the composer & musical voice of these films Howard Shore should be allowed to steer the ship musically in the same way PJ oversees the filmmakng process. The musical process for composing the end credit song on the LOTR films was that Howard, Peter, Fran & Phillippa discussed wishlists of vocalists they thought would fit. At that point Howard Shore would either deliver the melody, changes & arrangement (usually based on a musical idea from the score) and/or collaborate with the singer based on his score. His voice tied all of the material together.

FOTR
"May it be" Enya's phrasing was applied to a Shore melody & chord changes from the score. After she delivered her recordings Shore wrote an orchestral arrangement to tie it back to the score. This gives it a cohesiveness that makes it part of a whole.

TTT
"Gollum's Song"
The singer was hired based on the tone of her voice to perform Shore's melody over changes from the score with his arrangement.

ROTK
"Into the West" The best example of tying all of the elements featured across all three LOTR films. Nashville tuned acoustic guitar associated with Hobbits, the french horn line from ROTK. PJ, FW, PB & Shore selected Annie Lennox from a wishlist. Shore's ability to convey the perfect emotion of the closing scene of the film, the bittersweetness of the end of the tale, farewells for the cast & crew and the closing of the film series for fans.

AUJ
It's been almost a year since Neil Finn's song for AUJ & I still haven't warmed up to it even though I love the Misty Mtns theme. Mostly I feel that it's not connected enough to the score through the arrangement. The sound that Shore coaxes out of the orchestra makes it sound like a ME score: the lushness of English style strings, the tenderness of a hobbit theme on clarinet, the harshness of orcs, etc., It's missing from Finn's song. Instead it sounds like Finn's song. Also the vocal chants in the background are also very distracting & out of place stylistically.

DOS
Back to Sheeran's song. His selection doesn't pull away from the film as much as a lack of connection to the score. I don't know the themes to the DOS score so I can't evaluate it that way. However I don't hear any orchestral arrangement. It seems they left Sheeran to generate all of the ideas which keeps it separate from Shore's work. Coincidentally Sheeran's chord changes actually match Shore's four chord pattern associated with Gandal's Farewells (vi - IV - I - V.)

I've been studying, composing & performing music for over 20 years (scary, I know) and I feel that the best works take time to craft like a sculpture. You keep going back to refine and add layers. With this in mind if Sheeran's first reaction is the starting point, why not go back to it & eliminate the pop-style rhythm, bring in Shore to refine it and add an orchestral arrangement? This would allow for Sheeran's first impression remain honest & immediate but Shore would connect the sound back to his ME scores.

... Just my two cents

Subject User Time
End Credit Songs: with or without Shore? jtg70 Send a private message to jtg70 Nov 6 2013, 3:28pm
    Great post Cave Troll Send a private message to Cave Troll Nov 6 2013, 4:20pm
        re: Great Post & other replies jtg70 Send a private message to jtg70 Nov 6 2013, 5:00pm
            Problem Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Nov 6 2013, 7:54pm
                but, one can always ask a mod to edit their post. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2013, 8:11pm
                    Well Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Nov 6 2013, 8:31pm
                        haha... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2013, 8:36pm
                            I understand Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Nov 6 2013, 8:52pm
                                I change it up fairly frequently. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2013, 9:54pm
    Some good points, BornOutOfTheWest Send a private message to BornOutOfTheWest Nov 6 2013, 4:25pm
    No, he was not. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Nov 6 2013, 6:08pm
    I'm with you on the Neil Finn song. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Nov 6 2013, 9:27pm
        Maybe for the next film, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Nov 6 2013, 10:03pm
            The Road goes ever on... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Nov 6 2013, 10:23pm
                Ooh! Bumpypotato Send a private message to Bumpypotato Nov 7 2013, 4:56am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.