Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - November 6

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 6 2013, 10:35am

Post #1 of 8 (126 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 6 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Elves reach Lake-town.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...elves are light-footed, and though they were not in these days much used to the marches and the treacherous lands between the Forest and the Lake, their going was swift. Only five days after the death of the dragon they came upon the shores and looked on the ruins of the town. Their welcome was good... ...and the men and their Master were ready to make any bargain for the future in return for the Elvenking's aid."

2. The dwarves prepare...
..."The dwarves continue working on the Front Gate as Fili and Kili were coming back with 3 ponies and supplies... ...they learned that the Elvenking had turned aside to the Lake."

3. Dain receives Thorin's summons via Roäc Carc's son.
...[Thrush messengers come to]"...kin in the mountains of the North, both west from here and east... ...[and to] Dáin in the Iron Hills..."

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 6 2013, 6:48pm

Post #2 of 8 (77 views)
Shortcut
That is one of the problems of film vs. book... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..."...elves are light-footed, and though they were not in these days much used to the marches and the treacherous lands between the Forest and the Lake, their going was swift. Only five days after the death of the dragon they came upon the shores and looked on the ruins of the town. Their welcome was good... ...and the men and their Master were ready to make any bargain for the future in return for the Elvenking's aid."

In film you rarely get a good sense for the passage of time. When we see There and Back Again in theaters (or at home) I am sure that most viewers will have the impression that the Wood-elves arrive at Lake-town only hours (or a day or two at most) after the death of Smaug. Certainly not after five days.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 7 2013, 10:57am

Post #3 of 8 (62 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Dwarves take time for study.
(not from the appendices-no text—just drabbles)
...Surrounded by gold, silver, and gems glittering from torches hanging on the cave walls, Bilbo listened to the Dwarves' excited discoveries. They seemed to have instinctively split into small territories of treasure throughout the room until all the piles and corners were claimed. He didn't think they noticed this phenomenon. They didn't seem inclined to examine the pieces together, but shouted out or stood quietly while turning a trinket over and over in their hands. All Bilbo knew was that his feet were cold, and it spread to his nose. His thoughts, again, turned to his fireplace in Bag End.

November 7, 3022 (S.R. 1422)
1. Raindrops in Valinor
(not from the appendices-no text—just drabbles)
...One rainy evening, Frodo sat looking out the window, his breath appearing on his reflection, then vanishing. His eyes followed one glimmering drop as it travelled from high on the pane. Its erratic trail occasionally brushed against some drops while coming into full contact with others, but rarely joining. Many drops would hang suspended, unchanged as one would pass by. Sometimes it caught on the glass's texture, then plummeted in freefall without choice but to travel in one direction. Finally, it reached the end and vanished. Frodo's thoughts turned to Sam. "There, but for the grace of you, go I."

Any drabbles you'd like to share for the day?

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 7 2013, 10:58am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 7 2013, 11:37am

Post #4 of 8 (53 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson just said in the AUJ eedvd commentary that they had to adjust the timelines to move the story along, which is understandable. But when you're sitting in a dark, cold tunnel... it's a lot different ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 7 2013, 1:16pm

Post #5 of 8 (65 views)
Shortcut
That is debatable [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Peter Jackson just said in the AUJ eedvd commentary that they had to adjust the timelines to move the story along, which is understandable. But when you're sitting in a dark, cold tunnel... it's a lot different ;)

I can certainly see where some changes that affected the timeline were necessary or desireable to improve the flow of the film. Others seem far more arbitrary with alternate solutions that might have worked better. For example, instead of having Azog survive to the present, his son Bolg could have been introduced earlier to serve the same function (unless Azog does not live to participate in the Battle of Five Armies--in which case I would have to withdraw my objection). Moving the original Darkening of Mirkwood forward by almost 2000 years is another questionable choice, but I can see the value of making the Necromancer a more palpable and immediate threat rather than keep him a presence that has been lurking in southern Mirkwood for centuries.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8 2013, 11:38am

Post #6 of 8 (39 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, O-s :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8 2013, 11:39am

Post #7 of 8 (51 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Fili and Kili return with ponies
(determined from text)
..."They were four days gone, and by that time they knew that the joined armies of the Lake-men and the Elves were hurrying towards the Mountain. But now their hopes were higher; for they had food for some weeks ... ...chiefly cram... ...and they were very tired of it... ...already the gate was blocked with a wall of squared stones laid dry, but very thick and high across the opening. There were holes in the wall through which they could see (or shoot) but no entrance. They climbed in or out with ladders, and hauled stuff up with ropes. For... ...the stream they had contrived a small low arch under the new wall... ...Approach to the Gate was now only possible, without swimming, along a narrow ledge of the cliff... ...The ponies they had brought only to the head of the steps above the old bridge, and unloading them there had bidden them return to the masters and sent them back riderless to the South."

November 8, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. News travels through the Shire.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Word has reached the homes and farms in the far corners of the Shire that the ruffians have been driven out and that it was the wayward hobbits turned warriors that did it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2013, 10:24am

Post #8 of 8 (58 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 9, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. With the help of the Elves, Bard arranges shelter and food for the townsfolk.
(determined from text)
..."Their plans were soon made. With the women and the children, the old and the unfit, the Master remained behind; and... ...men of crafts and many skilled elves; and they busied themselves felling trees, and collecting the timber sent down from the Forest... ...they set about raising many huts by the shore against the oncoming winter; and also under the Master's direction they began the planning of a new town, designed more fair and large even than before, but not in the same place. They removed northward higher up the shore; for ever after they had a dread of the water where the dragon lay... ... stretched cold as stone, twisted upon the floor of the shallows. There for ages his huge bones could be seen in calm weather amid the ruined piles of the old town. But few dared to cross the cursed spot, and none dared to dive into the shivering water or recover the precious stones that fell from his rotting carcase."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.