Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Music choice

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 10:27am

Post #1 of 15 (754 views)
Shortcut
     Music choice  

Ok, we all know that PJs really cute daughter has some influence over his work but it just makes me really annoyed!! Now she is the reason Ed Sheeran is involved? Crazy decision! She is not a filmmaker! She cannot know what is the best move here, and PJ is letting his daughter decide things, oh he is a nice father but hey - this is HIS movie! She is just a young girl who is crazy about Sheeran like many other young girls with no taste in music. And see what happens?

Sorry, no hate on miss Jackson, I don't like the fact that PJ seems to listen to her instead of the fans. I don't mind having pop-songs in the end credits but really? ED SHEERAN FOR THE HOBBIT?!?!?!?!

Boromir: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

(This post was edited by Hengist on Nov 6 2013, 11:30am)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 6 2013, 10:31am

Post #2 of 15 (442 views)
Shortcut
     This is imho an inappropriate post, sorry. [In reply to]  

PJ and FW made the decision and got reminded by her daughter of a voice they all loved.

And a lot of people like the song and think it probably will fit the movie.

Your stuff about girls with no taste in music and Katie Jackson having made a big decision is far from reasonable imho. Do you really think PJ would have hired him if he didn't believe it would work for his movie?

Sorry to say that. I respect that you do not like the song. But that doesn't really justify a post like this.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 6 2013, 10:32am)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 10:33am

Post #3 of 15 (415 views)
Shortcut
     I'm mad, that's all [In reply to]  

Evil Can't I question a decision by the filmmakers in a post? That is news to me!

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 6 2013, 10:50am

Post #4 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
     I think his daughter knows his style of music better than some random fans. [In reply to]  

In Reply To
… I don't like the fact that PJ seems to listen to her instead of the fans…

To be serious, that's what I would also do. Tongue
Really like the song the more I listen to it.

Wandering Ranger
Rivendell

Nov 6 2013, 10:51am

Post #5 of 15 (371 views)
Shortcut
     Sure [In reply to]  

You're more than welcome to criticise something to do with the film that you don't like, anyone is. I think it's more the sweeping generalisation that young girls have bad taste in music. Have you got any proof that only Katie Jackson's liking of his music got him picked? Perhaps PJ and FW also liked his voice too?

So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship and passed on into the west till the sweet fragrance on the air filled his sense and the sound of singing came over the water. Then it seemed to him that, as in a dream, he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country. The third age of Middle Earth was over, the days of the Rings had passed and the story and song of those times was at an end.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 10:55am

Post #6 of 15 (380 views)
Shortcut
     Well... [In reply to]  

I am sure PJ and FW liked Sheerans music as well! It is just that I can imagine Katie Jackson going "Pleeeeease Dad, Ed Sheeran is the beeeeeest, pleeease ask him!" and doing puppy eyes and... that just makes me sick.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 6 2013, 10:57am

Post #7 of 15 (364 views)
Shortcut
     See, and that is more than voicing a negative opinion. [In reply to]  

That is simply rude imho without any source, foundation or reason.

And what's with the PJ listening to his daughter instead of the fans?

MANY fans seem to like the song and even think that it DOES work for a Middle-earth movie.

Those are opinions and different voices, not so much ranting on young girls without taste in music or picturing weird scenes out of the Jackson's family life.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 6 2013, 11:00am)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 10:59am

Post #8 of 15 (348 views)
Shortcut
     Bring on the hate! [In reply to]  

I knew you guys would hate on me for complaining about this, but in the words of mr Bilbo Baggins... I had to speak my mind - I'm sorry!

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Nov 6 2013, 11:00am)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 6 2013, 11:00am

Post #9 of 15 (336 views)
Shortcut
     It has nothing to do with speaking your mind. [In reply to]  

Please read my posts correctly.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Nov 6 2013, 11:06am

Post #10 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
     I totally agree with you. [In reply to]  

I felt kinda weird reading about the decision to include Ed Sheeran. It seems like PJ listened to a love drunk teenager and this is the end ressult. Wink

I actually like the song, but I cannot see how it is connected to middle earth in the same way that previous end titles are. I would have prefered a more classic touch to this pop song. Neil Flynn's song of the lonely mountain was amazing because it seemed like a hybrid between folk music and Howard Shores score.

I don't think this song will hold the test of time. But I will give credit to PJ for taking chances.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!*

Endor Dweller
Bree

Nov 6 2013, 11:08am

Post #11 of 15 (292 views)
Shortcut
     This was rude.// [In reply to]  

- Good morning.
- What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning...or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?

- Good evening.
- Yes, yes it is. Though I think it might rain later.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 11:11am

Post #12 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
     She is even in the music video... [In reply to]  

In Reply To

I don't think this song will hold the test of time. But I will give credit to PJ for taking chances.

I totally agree! Although some may argue that there has been enough risk-taking with this new trilogy already.

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Nov 6 2013, 11:11am)

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Nov 6 2013, 11:16am

Post #13 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
     I really agree on this [In reply to]  

Well not so much on taste of young girls bit.

But it is very much possible that PJ was influenced by daddy-love. This is the same PJ who chose Enya, Torricini, Lennox and Flynn. And I see fire for me was nothing more than an average song.
So, I am thinking yes.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Nov 6 2013, 11:27am

Post #14 of 15 (279 views)
Shortcut
     Basing fan reactions only on TORN is unfair [In reply to]  

I think. On another forum it was an almost unanimous disagreement about
the choice. So I say till now, it has been 50-50.

I bet it will certainly not be as succesful as the previous ones. And
it's just me, but it seems people are trying too hard to correlate it as
a middle earth song to make it sound better, as it certainly not that! The lyrics are, but the tune is very much a NO!. But that's only me.

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Nov 6 2013, 11:30am)

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2013, 11:29am

Post #15 of 15 (316 views)
Shortcut
     This thread will be locked [In reply to]  

According to the TOS "personal attacks (on a TORn user or other person)" are not allowed, and as certain posts are steering very close to the line (if not crossing it!) the thread will be locked.

Also I will edit the subject line

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

(This post was edited by Hengist on Nov 6 2013, 11:30am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.