Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who is the elf with Legolas? Elros?

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 11:33am

Post #1 of 15 (936 views)
Shortcut
Who is the elf with Legolas? Elros? Can't Post

I'm kinda confused over who this mystery elf is in the trailer. He appears at about 1:52/53 in the trailer blowing a horn and then in the blog, running out of a rock face with Legolas. Could this be the same elf who points towards Mirkwood in the first trailer? If so, perhaps this is our first glimpse of Robin Kerr's "Elros"....Whether it is THE Elros or just another woodland elf is up for debate though.

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Nov 5 2013, 12:12pm

Post #2 of 15 (526 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

this elf also appeared in AUJ during the prologue scene where Thranduil pays homage to Thror in Erebor. When the camera is looking directly at Thranduil, the elf in question is behind him to the right, behind Thranduils left shoulder.

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 1:06pm

Post #3 of 15 (473 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't this be [In reply to] Can't Post

Just one of the Elves who lives in those parts, without necessarily having to have a name in the film?

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 15 (377 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a nameless elf.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 2:09pm

Post #5 of 15 (349 views)
Shortcut
I understand what your saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there is a character cast in the Desolation of Smaug, played by Robin Kerr, named Elros. Possibly another elven character considering he did get a shot in the trailer plus time in the blog with Legolas...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 2:13pm

Post #6 of 15 (381 views)
Shortcut
Luke Hawker as Elven Trumpeter [In reply to] Can't Post

Click on 'Resume': http://www.ecaster.com.au/...ectID=0&RoleID=0

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 5 2013, 2:14pm)

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 15 (330 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin K
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 5:19pm

Post #8 of 15 (251 views)
Shortcut
He was pretty darn prominent in that third trailer, wasn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seemed like an odd choice of shot to include, if you ask me. We've seen maybe 0.75 seconds of Beorn or Thrain so far, but this anonymous Elven Trumpeter gets a full hero shot in the trailer. It's just weird.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 7:46pm

Post #9 of 15 (172 views)
Shortcut
I think that's intentional. [In reply to] Can't Post

They seem to be leaving Beorn out of nearly all promotional materials for a reason. Perhaps they don't want to reveal every surprise before the movie is released? Honestly, I appreciate it.

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 8:03pm

Post #10 of 15 (157 views)
Shortcut
May I ask [In reply to] Can't Post

how you just had that guys page on-hand? You instantly knew Tongue

I simply walked into Mordor.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 15 (144 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not me or anyone I know Wink

Basically during the filming of the trilogy I looked through loads of NZ casting agencies hoping to find some interesting roles (posted most of my discoveries on this forum), and I happened to remember finding 'Elven Trumpeter' last year. Couldn't remember the name of the actor, though I remembered his face so I looked through The Hobbit AUJ WETA Chronicles book, where I found his name next to some photos of dwarven make up tests.

Whew!

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 5 2013, 8:16pm)

bauglir
The Shire

Nov 5 2013, 8:37pm

Post #12 of 15 (145 views)
Shortcut
how would it be possible for him to be THE Elros? [In reply to] Can't Post

Elros chose to be mortal, and even though he lived to be 400+ he died in Númenor in a different age than The Hobbit takes place in.

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 8:39pm

Post #13 of 15 (136 views)
Shortcut
He is a different Elros [In reply to] Can't Post

They did a casting call for a character named Elros, an Elf. However, it is not Elros - Elrond's brother Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 9:24pm

Post #14 of 15 (118 views)
Shortcut
Am I correct in thinking Elros- Elrond's brother was supposed to be his twin? [In reply to] Can't Post

If that's the case then that elf with a trumpet is definitely not Elros - Elrond's brother because he doesn't look like him.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 9:30pm

Post #15 of 15 (114 views)
Shortcut
You never know! [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and CO could pull anything out of the bag, with what they've done already. Just seemed a bit odd for a lingering shot on some random elf... :P

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.