Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast in the 3rd trailer

Ranger
The Shire

Nov 5 2013, 5:50am

Post #1 of 11 (936 views)
Shortcut
Radagast in the 3rd trailer Can't Post

I haven't seen anybody mention this yet, but the single line Radagast had in the trailer, along with his serious expression, was possibly my favourite part of today's event.

I love the character in principle but thought he was played way over the top in AUJ with the embarrassingly ridiculous phasmid scene, drug-taking-eye action, bird droppings on his face and leading wargs in circles back to the dwarves.

Radagast is the first character I preferred in a video game (War in the North) compared to the movie. In the game, he was eccentric but also mystical and powerful. I hoped to warm up to McCoy's movie Radagast, but I still shake my head and cringe even after having watched AUJ seven or eight times.

I'm incredibly looking forward to see his more serious, focused and sane side!

boldog
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 5:59am

Post #2 of 11 (507 views)
Shortcut
That was what i noticed too! [In reply to] Can't Post

He seemed much more serious in this film. Serious enough to correct Gandalf? Gee radagast must have changed a hell of a lot!

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Patty
Immortal

Nov 5 2013, 8:49am

Post #3 of 11 (387 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea of Radagast , and I love McCoy , [In reply to] Can't Post

But that bird poop has got to go.

Permanent address: Into the West

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 1:02pm

Post #4 of 11 (279 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agree with this – I really hope they get rid of it this time around [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But that bird poop has got to go.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 11 (240 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to disappoint you but I guess you did not see that small High Fells Clip that is online somewhere featuring Radagast and Gandalf exploring the Nazgul tomb? Just watch that and you will know Radagast is still going to be rather silly in DOS.
And that sentence from him in the trailer.. well he also was that serious in AUJ when he told Gandalf about the Spawn of Ungoliant and Dol Guldur.
He sorta switches frequently between his serious and his silly side, it seems.

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 8:06pm

Post #6 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
It actually has some mythological precedence, of sorts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quoting from the Barrow Downs forum, user Morthoron wrote,

Hmmm...sounds suspiciously derivative of Merlyn in T.H. White's classic The Once and Future King. Merlin had the requisite bird droppings down his robes and a nest of mice in his hair, and a hedgehog plays prominently in the book and the follow-up, The Book of Merlyn, wherein the informal and malaprop-ridden hedgehog refers to King Arthur as "Maggie's Tea" (Your Majesty), or just "Tiggie".

It seems to me that since Tolkien left almost nothing for the writers to use in crafting their Radagast, they turned to one of the more unusual depictions of the wizard Merlin.

And on that note, I've always speculated that if Radagast never left Middle-earth, could he even have become Merlin? It's hinted* that King Arthur travels to Tol Eressëa in the end of his life.

*I can't make this into a hyperlink because of the weird extension. http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1278838.ece

(This post was edited by Cillendor on Nov 5 2013, 8:08pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 8:06pm

Post #7 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
I think the word we are [In reply to] Can't Post

looking for is whimsical! He knows when to be serious but I think he was genuinely disoriented in the High Fells scene.

I simply walked into Mordor.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 11:48pm

Post #8 of 11 (74 views)
Shortcut
Improved [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope he gets more to do and that his character will be a bit more regular in the next film.
Show us why is the Wizard of Nature, show us what he can do and what makes him special.
Not just silliness. I'm mostly interested in what role he will play at DG. Gandalf is clearly alone there at some point, so what happened to Radagast?

Bladerunner
Rohan

Nov 6 2013, 1:20am

Post #9 of 11 (67 views)
Shortcut
I agree. I always felt McCoy's Radagast reveals a deeper profound side. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such as when he says "No, it is not," and "This, is not, from the world, of the living."

Most of the characters in the new trailer deliver their lines with a certain gravitas and grimness including Bard, Thranduil, Thorin, Gandalf and Radagast.

The only one, other than Bilbo, who just doesn't reach that same level with his deliveries is Balin.
It's hard to reconcile him in my mind with the Balin who becomes Lord of Moria.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 7 2013, 7:25am

Post #10 of 11 (23 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch Balin during the Rivendell scene where Gandalf is trying to convince thorin to show Elrond the map. Its a demeanor we dont see from him except in those few moments. He's standing fists on hips head high and brimming with confidence. In those moments he looks unmovable, unflappable and every bit a Lord.
Its obvious he believes Thorin will never give up the map, and looks incredibly stern and proud because of it.
though he gives no lines in that moment, he does give off a Lordly and commanding aura. In that brief scene before thorin hands the map over, I totally see the Lord of Moria.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty heroes of seal team 6, the PJ, and all those who fell in Tangi
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Pousette
Rivendell

Nov 8 2013, 3:10pm

Post #11 of 11 (14 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Balin shows proof of being lord material - specially in this trailer's awesome delivery "I fear for you"!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.