Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR best film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Nov 3 2013, 5:50pm

Post #26 of 40 (346 views)
Shortcut
What makes you think so? [In reply to] Can't Post

About FotR being less faithful than TTT and RotK?

Well as a matter of opinion I can understand about TTT still, but RotK???? Good heavens!!

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Nov 3 2013, 5:56pm

Post #27 of 40 (347 views)
Shortcut
FotR is the best one yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a similar feeling, a feeling I get when I read FotR 9though it's far less a feeling in the movie).
And yet, it's not perfect. I give it 7.5

The reasons:

Merry and Pippin are the most changed characters in this one.

the beard-jokes of Gimli.

Most of Gimli actually, especially since Moria.

The Council turns into a shouting contest. And, Frodo agrees to do the task and everyone instantaneously nods with no consideration (including Frodo himself)

The over-use of the fellowship theme.

Nuclear Galadriel, the worst thing in FotR.

The cockroach-like Orcs in one of the scenes at Moria

The depiction of Lurtz

Arwen being the one who calls the river-horses on the Nazguls. (no, I do not mind Arwen's role. Just that bit.)

Casting Bloom as Legolas. Wink

star
Rivendell

Nov 4 2013, 11:41am

Post #28 of 40 (317 views)
Shortcut
Thumbs up for all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love them all Heart I'm just thankful that we have the movies to discuss, they are a bonus to the books. We have the best of both worlds, books and movies. and the fact that we can talk about the movies and not just be a book club is great. Smile

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 4 2013, 11:27pm

Post #29 of 40 (356 views)
Shortcut
FOTR being less faithful [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your point but don't quite agree. My acceptance of changes has a lot to do with intent. In FOTR, most of the changes are done for the sake of telling the story more efficiently. It eliminated the 17-year gap between Frodo getting the Ring and setting out on the quest (which, frankly, I always found silly), dropped Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-downs (which would slow down the beginning of the story, much as I love them), introduced us to Merry and Pippin differently (the hobbits' conspiracy would also have slowed things down), and introduced Arwen sooner and in a bigger role. These changes make sense to me when trying to compress a novel into a movie.

Some of the changes in the later films, however, are less about efficiency of story and more about adding new plotlines and inventions. Faramir's personality shift (to me) is a much more significant change and more jarring than anything that was altered in FOTR. Elves at Helm's Deep and the death of Haldir are also quite jarring when nothing like this exists in the book. Frodo banishing Sam before the fight with Shelob is also a major change that adds new drama where it didn't exist before. And obviously, adding Azog, Radagast, and Tauriel to The Hobbit is a pretty extreme change to the source material.

I'm much more open to changes when they're done to distill a story to its essence. I start to get leery when they're done to add new moments or plotlines or characters that may or may not be necessary to telling the story. I've grown to accept most of Jackson's changes (except Azog. I still hate that bastard! Tongue) but even so, I think that FOTR feels truer to the spirit of the book than some of the later films.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2013, 7:12pm

Post #30 of 40 (275 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost universally agreed? I think all we could say about the general opinion is that all 3 LotR films were pretty darned good...

I'd pick RotK, actually, because it nailed the ending for me. It always makes me cry, just the way the book always does. Which impresses me, as I rarely cry during movies (or while reading, for that matter!)

My sons would pick TTT (and in that, they would mirror Rotten Tomatoes, critics+audiences, where that film achieved higher ratings than the other two, though not by a very meaningful amount).

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Nov 13 2013, 7:13pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 9:05pm

Post #31 of 40 (272 views)
Shortcut
It is the best for me [In reply to] Can't Post

My all time favourite film and it is just... mind-blowing and that is a lot thanks to the cast of great actors.
It is hard to say what I don't like about the movie, but I always feel the part where they battle a giant octupus before entering Moria is not really exciting if you've been watching the movie so many times. But really, I cannot imagine FOTR to be perfect, it would be impossible. Still, it is so close to perfect imo... other films don't stand a chance - it is just an amazing piece of art.
I find it ironic though that the amazing portrayal of Gollum is not in FOTR and still it is the best movie.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

OopsyDaisy
The Shire

Nov 15 2013, 9:21pm

Post #32 of 40 (238 views)
Shortcut
always has been my fave! but a question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have an undying love for the whole trilogy as everyone here does too! But yes, I do find myself thinking FOTR is my fave of the three.Smile There are so many reasons why and most of them seem to be smallest snippets of footage (eg Frodo turning with a single tear full of greif when Gandalf falls). But I cant help notice from the previous messages that TTT (although amazingly epic itself) does not really rock fans boats as much as the other two. I dont want to hijack a brillant thread but why do people feel this is?

I do find that when introducing my friends to PJs films and LOTR in general (it is fair to say that sadly they dont share my obbsession!Unimpressed) I did worry when playing them TTT after the FOTR. In my opinion, if you have no knowledge of Middle Earth, LOTR or Tolkien in general the gap between Gandalf returning as Gandalf the White and the battle of Helms Deep can (dare i say) be slightly dull. Now I would like to stress that I adore the intire film, but I did find that a LOTR newbie can begin to loose interest slightly before Helms deep and Osgiliath. I feel that the filmkeeps fans captivated because of the visions of Edoras and the introduction of Rohan and its people and culture. This is because we are anticipating it and are aware of Rohan. But I dont know if it washes with newbies and for people who have know knowledge of the country and its king? I think that PJ did a brillaint job of introducing Rohan to us but something feels amiss. I like to think i may be wrong because the film is precious to me (excuse the pun!) but this is what i have experienced. In the words of Aragorn "What Say You?!Smile

"Even the smallest person, can change the course of the future..."

OopsyDaisy
The Shire

Nov 15 2013, 9:36pm

Post #33 of 40 (236 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to mention! [In reply to] Can't Post

Concerning Ents....As fans we understand the slowness and non - hastyness of Treebeard and the Ents. But I do feel that as a race in the film they do not do anything to grab someone (who has not seen the trilogys) attention for long enough. I know that is exactly how Tolkien percieved them to be, but they do not aid the film in being as epic as the FOTR and ROTK . I have even been told that they are "boring!" Frown But i like to think that person changed their mind when it can to the march of the Ents Smile

"Even the smallest person, can change the course of the future..."

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 17 2013, 8:16pm

Post #34 of 40 (254 views)
Shortcut
It is the best film [In reply to] Can't Post

And for me, the most rewatchable film of the three. I've probably watched FOTR around 100-150 times, and ROTK maybe 10.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 21 2013, 8:20pm

Post #35 of 40 (181 views)
Shortcut
I understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever.... but 150 times?? my lord..

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 8:37pm

Post #36 of 40 (188 views)
Shortcut
That is impressive and slighty worrying at the same time! [In reply to] Can't Post

150 times?

Shocked

I've probably watched it 30 or so (After receiving it for Chistmas 2002, I watched it 5 times in 4 Days) and it is to my mind a perfect film, but sheesh...don't you get bored?

Serious question!

(My fave films are my faves because I enjoy rediscovering the magic not down to perfect recollection of the events)

I don't have much to say.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 10:44pm

Post #37 of 40 (179 views)
Shortcut
Seems like a sensible amount to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm probably in the same ball park. I always have the films on (normally in the background). And I listen to them at work when I've got laborious coding to do. Wink

(But it's the same as the book. I can't count how many times I've read the book or listened to the audio book).

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 11:03pm

Post #38 of 40 (189 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, maybe I'm the odd one. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had the time or money I'd be sorely tempted to correct this.

Though I think If I started trying to listen to the audiobooks at work I'd get more than a few funny looks, most paying customers don't want advice in Sindarin...

I don't have much to say.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 2:21pm

Post #39 of 40 (172 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of those 100-150 times was many years ago, when FOTR was released on VHS it completely blew my mind and at that time I was very young. I was completely obsessed with it and watched it several times a week. Still watched it many times after that but not nearly to the same extent. In fact, it's been over a year since I saw any of the LOTR films. I'm saving it for later.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:23pm

Post #40 of 40 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hoom now don't be hasty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all of us agree with the premise. I think FOTR is probably the best, the most flawless and timeless of the three, but my personal favourite is TTT which is richer in character, darker in tone, and generally more exciting and rewatchable imo.

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.