Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Further confirmation of a Kili/Tauriel romance from newspaper article. SPOILERS!

boldog
Rohan

Nov 3 2013, 12:50am

Post #1 of 19 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Further confirmation of a Kili/Tauriel romance from newspaper article. SPOILERS! Can't Post

okay I was just reading the Sunday Telegraph this morning. Now this is a Sydney based newspaper, in Australia. Flicking through the pages, my eyescaught an article of an on set report of the desolation of smaug. Apparently the people were there for two days during the elves capturing dwarves in mirkwood sequence. They explained a scene where Legolas encounters a portrait of a young Gimli, and after looking at it he says " who is this horrid little creature"

The second day, they explained had a lot of scenes with Kili and Tauriel. Apparently they fight spiders together. I don't know how or where this fits in but they specifically stated that its just the two of them. As quoted from the article "The irish actor is clearly living out boyhood fantasies by battling against green screen spiders and sparring with a beautiful female elf" What do they mean by sparring with a beautiful female elf???

Then it goes on to say. "Though Kili and Tauriel clearly share a spark, everyones staying mum on any hobbit romance" So they do have some sort of chemistry but its not 100% if they are a true romance?
Lilly states that "I had a lot of amazing scenes with Aiden" A lot of scenes surely points to something........

It then goes on to explain a bit about slave motion shooting, and explains a funny thing that Aiden does when they weren't filming. Basically he is playing with Tauriels curves while she wasn't looking, and then she sees that and swings her sword and cuts off his head, all in the slavemo shooting. Lol Id be shocked if that makes the final cut!

but anyway, if any other aussie ringers saw this same article let us know, But this is all true. Sorry that I couldn't upload the article, cant find it online.....

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 3 2013, 12:56am

Post #2 of 19 (719 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I come across a copy of the telegraph today I'll take a look.

But yes it does seem certain they will have some kind of a connection. Especially considering PJ's comments during the extended edition commentary.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Nov 3 2013, 12:56am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 3 2013, 1:22am

Post #3 of 19 (757 views)
Shortcut
As Kili and some of the other dwarves stay in Lake-town... [In reply to] Can't Post

And we know Legolas and Tauriel spend time in Lake-town at some point, I wonder if this could be where part of their interaction takes place? So, meeting in Mirkwood, bulk of scenes in Lake-town/Dale?

IMO it'll probably be some wistful expressions and perhaps a (hopefully subtle) "if you we'ren't an elf and I wasn't Kili' conversation, but not sure how they could realize a Taurili romance without it seeming contrived (and obviously a major deviation from the book).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 3 2013, 1:37am

Post #4 of 19 (698 views)
Shortcut
Appreciate the warning [In reply to] Can't Post

Had read about the "locket" thing in the WETA chronicles books, so if it makes the film thought that was amusing, tho the book indicates it's not Gimli that Legolas is referring to re the locket picture, it's Gloin's wife who "is an acclaimed beauty with a fine beard." Not that things don't get changed during filming......maybe they thought it was better to nod back to LOTR, but the tie-in is a little heavy-handed for me if they go that way.

*Shrugs* sparks are fine, PJ sounds as tho he shoots plenty of material to have a lot to choose from. "Water-cooler" flirts are one thing.....but when are they going to fit some big romance in, given that DOS is supposedly shorter than AUJ and so much is going on already?

From the looks of the trailers one way or the other it's possible that both elves and dwarves battle a spider attack - e.g. the dwarves are attacked and are fighting, the elves join in on general principle but NOT as allies, they're just not inclined to kill the trespassing dwarves and want to bring them to the elven king to decide what to do with. So possibly Kiili does spar with Tauriel a bit, before getting taken prisoner. As far as amazing scenes she could be talking about coming upon Kili in Laketown and/or TABA.

Personally - and there are those who feel differently - hope any heavy romance stuff hits the cutting room floor, always thought this was a lame idea, but plenty on the subject has been posted before. PJ's gonna do what he wants to, am sure by now grumbles of discontent re the romance stuff has reached his ears. May even come up in fan event, who knows, tho suspect presented questions will be kept positive and neutral.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 3 2013, 2:37am

Post #5 of 19 (640 views)
Shortcut
As I thought also. Perhaps she ends up trying to aid in healing him. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And we know Legolas and Tauriel spend time in Lake-town at some point, I wonder if this could be where part of their interaction takes place? So, meeting in Mirkwood, bulk of scenes in Lake-town/Dale?

IMO it'll probably be some wistful expressions and perhaps a (hopefully subtle) "if you we'ren't an elf and I wasn't Kili' conversation, but not sure how they could realize a Taurili romance without it seeming contrived (and obviously a major deviation from the book).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 3:56am

Post #6 of 19 (600 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly confirmation of a full-blown romance, and here's hoping there isn't one... [In reply to] Can't Post

A romance between Tauriel and Kili just seems like such a moronic idea. Romantic feelings between the two would completely cheapen Gimli's later adoration of Galadriel. A male Dwarf revering the beauty of a female Elf as such was supposed to have been a thing unheard of, NOT something that happened every time a male Dwarf came in contact with a female Elf.

If this happens, and it gets any more than one or two minutes of screen time, then I think this could replace Azog as my least favorite aspect of this adaptation. We don't need a !@#*ing romance just for the sake of it, and we don't need a cheap fan-fic imitation of Gimli/Galadriel.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Nov 3 2013, 8:17am

Post #7 of 19 (508 views)
Shortcut
More tauriel screentime worse dos [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't change the mirkwood sequence.It should be only bilbo.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 3 2013, 10:02am

Post #8 of 19 (459 views)
Shortcut
No confirmation at all imho. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather a confirmation that this will be much less than a romance.

In general, I think they may meet again in Laketown... My guess is they wanted more of the company to be in Laketown when the dragon attacks, which could be a good decision drama and tension wise.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 1:19pm

Post #9 of 19 (380 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I've said this all along... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the scene we saw in the trailer where T & L are over-looking the lake, and we get the "this IS our fight" dialogue, is right at the end of the Orcs attack during the barrel escape....Tauriel has seen that Kili is injured, is concerned and that's why she wants to follow after the Dwarves, even though Thranduil has forbidden it.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 3 2013, 3:25pm

Post #10 of 19 (321 views)
Shortcut
Also, for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the time angle and the fact that other dwarves and elves might all be hanging around, we've got 1) a more or less negative opinion of elves re dwarves, especially THESE elves, who are the very group that refused any aid to the Erebor dwarves; 2) the humiliation and evidently removal of all possessions by the same elves; 3) RA describing in an interview verbally letting loose on Thranduil re the "deep, old wound" so assuming Kili overhears this or at least is aware of the depth of anger, he's going to blithely chase after one of his captors???, 4) Where's Fili in all this - since Fili and Kili are so close, logically wouldn't he SAY something like "hold up, are you kidding me? Think they'd at least talk about it!

Don't personally think that it cheapens Gimli-Galadriel as that is a different dynamic, and Galadriel IS Galadriel filled with wisdom and understanding. Think it's less imitating G & G than something thrown in (as often been discussed to the disgust of many women, who resent seeing a female being depicted who HAS to be romantically attracted to someone of course.)

Do think it cheapens Kili, whom I like. Young and unburdened by old emotional baggage is one thing, it's another to be depicted, potentially, as shallow - aren't dwarves supposed to be fiercely clannish? Grinning at the Rivendell elves was one thing, it's another when your captors have treated you none too gently from the looks of it. If anything I'd think Kili - probably his first time in a situation like this, might be slightly frightened, bewildered, worried about his brother and companions, and very angry. Logically IMO he'd be thinking the stories he's heard of the Mirkwood elves are all true.

Since Tauriel is supposedly young and one of the captors, I CAN see her being curious and less militant - but srsly, there are huge spiders, general rot in Mirkwood, orcs roaming around, you're supposed to be a guard captain, and you're thinking about how hot a dwarf is? NOT real.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 3 2013, 3:45pm

Post #11 of 19 (330 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention [In reply to] Can't Post

..that it wouldn't make any sense in the context of the lines we've seen in the trailer from Thranduil telling her not to give Legolas hope where there is none. Why? Because Thranduil knows she's keen on Kili? Lol, I don't think so. Laugh

They're both archers, they fight well together and they're both young and don't have as much of the baggage as their older kin. To me that speaks to more of a mutual admiration, or friendship - like the one Legolas and Gimli developed for each other once they got rid of some of that baggage.

Also, if quoted correctly, this line from the article makes no sense:

"Though Kili and Tauriel clearly share a spark, everyones staying mum on any hobbit romance"

Didn't they mean to say dwarf romance? They either have a bad editor, or I suspect they don't know as much about the story, and movie, as they'd like people to think.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 3 2013, 4:24pm

Post #12 of 19 (286 views)
Shortcut
But surely... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not every member of every race thinks the same. This is the problem with translating generalized writing about a culture into film, even if that culture is fictitious. It might be true that, say, Native Americans care more about the land and nature IN GENERAL than the people that migrated to America, but that doesn't mean there are none who don't follow that pattern. The same goes for dwarves and elves. There would surely be some that don't care about the importance of beards or any sort of rivalry, particularly if they are young.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 3 2013, 4:42pm

Post #13 of 19 (285 views)
Shortcut
Sounds nauseating. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't care for this at all.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 8:56pm

Post #14 of 19 (195 views)
Shortcut
It is probably lazy writing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Also, if quoted correctly, this line from the article makes no sense:

"Though Kili and Tauriel clearly share a spark, everyones staying mum on any hobbit romance"

Didn't they mean to say dwarf romance? They either have a bad editor, or I suspect they don't know as much about the story, and movie, as they'd like people to think.

I think ' hobbit' is actually referring to TH the movie...it would read better as

"...everyone's staying mum on any HOBBIT romance"

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 9:11pm

Post #15 of 19 (178 views)
Shortcut
I'd agree with this statement... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't personally think that it cheapens Gimli-Galadriel as that is a different dynamic

...if we were talking about Kili simply flirting with or lusting after Tauriel, but having him develop feelings for her, I think would make Gimli/Galadriel redundant.

But just about everything else you said, I agree with. The idea of a Kili/Tauriel romance is dumb on so many levels.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 10:50pm

Post #16 of 19 (146 views)
Shortcut
Found the article online - but you need to be a subscriber! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://dailytel.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

You can see the article on page 132 if you scroll down through the thrumbnails on the right-hand side.

Victoria Monfort

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 3 2013, 11:05pm

Post #17 of 19 (138 views)
Shortcut
I don't see how [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Don't personally think that it cheapens Gimli-Galadriel as that is a different dynamic

...if we were talking about Kili simply flirting with or lusting after Tauriel, but having him develop feelings for her, I think would make Gimli/Galadriel redundant. .

By the very nature of the two characters involved, it would be an entirely different dynamic and so not redundant. Gimli had an admiration for Galadriel's ethereal beauty and wisdom. What makes it special is that he's a dwarf admiring what is MOST elven and least dwarf-like about her.

I have a feeling with Kili and Tauriel their admiration would come from the opposite, seeing someone who is supposed to be from a race who is "so different", and finding that there are in fact similarities to be found. It seems to me that how their characters are described - they are quite similar - from their relative youth making them a little more open minded to their both having a strong admiration for their leader(and in Kili's case his uncle) yet having a willingness to go against that if they feel strongly about it.

RA describing in an interview verbally letting loose on Thranduil re the "deep, old wound" so assuming Kili overhears this or at least is aware of the depth of anger, he's going to blithely chase after one of his captors???, 4) Where's Fili in all this - since Fili and Kili are so close, logically wouldn't he SAY something like "hold up, are you kidding me? Think they'd at least talk about it!

I'm not sure I understand how it's "blithe" to realize that there is more going on than the old grudges of two peoples, however well founded those grudges may be. You can't judge individuals by the stereotypes of their race or culture, if Kili is willing to see an individual instead of a stereotype, I don't see how that's shallow.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 4 2013, 1:10am

Post #18 of 19 (105 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What happened to Bilbo? I wanted to see this movie for Bilbo, not freakin' Tauriel and a fake, fanfiction romance between her and Legolas. If it was a crush between her and Kili, at least it would be different, but it shouldn't be the focus.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 4 2013, 1:12am

Post #19 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
It is nauseating [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole thing is nauseating. Tauriel, a forced romance. Ugh. I've said this before, and I'll say it again gag me with a spoon. And why oh why is it that every female character has to fall in love? That's not what The Hobbit is even about.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.