Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
UK Tickets for DoS - On Sale November 1st
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2013, 5:05pm

Post #26 of 51 (274 views)
Shortcut
Dolby Atmos is a sound system [In reply to] Can't Post

very state of the art. It usually runs with 3-D, but I think I've seen it with 2-D movies.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 5:12pm

Post #27 of 51 (273 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I will try to seek it out may go to the Empire Leicester Square. I did see the first day-time showing of RotK there it was chocker-block with people and had the most incredible atmosphere I've ever experienced in a cinema or theatre. And no one misbehaved in such a huge crowd

In Reply To
very state of the art. It usually runs with 3-D, but I think I've seen it with 2-D movies.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 5:19pm

Post #28 of 51 (274 views)
Shortcut
What it isss.., about 32 Speakers are positioned; simply stated... [In reply to] Can't Post

All around the Walls, Ceiling, Behind the screen.

So, the Many of 16 to 32 Sound editing TRACKS
can come at you as if an Arrow
is Shot from Back of You,
Zooms overhead and Finally a Speaker
picks it up. Near where the Target is...
on screem,..MUCH more Immersive.

As PJ said YOU ARE
in the Middle
of the Action,
inside... MiddleEarth!!!

"You must do this...."

Bomby.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 5:30pm

Post #29 of 51 (270 views)
Shortcut
You are not an idiot. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who wouldn't get confused with all these different offers :)

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 6:15pm

Post #30 of 51 (258 views)
Shortcut
Dazed & Confused [In reply to] Can't Post

I would certainly attend the Empire Leicester Square but it appears to be under refurbishment.

What I found last year was the 3D 48 FPS had the clarity and avoided the blurr of 3D IMAX 24 FPS.

If I remember correctly by the time the film came out anyone offering 3D was offering 48 FPS except some I Max presentations such as the BFI.

I am very lucky ! I travel to the Southern Hemisphere for the winter. I have a Skype Pal in Paekakariki just north of Wellington and last year we met up and I had two days there and went to the Embassy Theatre Gandalf was still outside mid January!

My photograph was taken in the woods at Paradise just outside Glenorchy. The chair is from Beorn's house and was left as a memento by the film crew.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Oct 24 2013, 6:17pm)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 7:04pm

Post #31 of 51 (255 views)
Shortcut
bfi [In reply to] Can't Post

i will be disappointed if bfi imax didnt opt for a 3d presentation again, i think the whole point of 48 fps was to make the 3d/action experience better.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Oct 24 2013, 7:29pm

Post #32 of 51 (239 views)
Shortcut
Not all 3D screens offer HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I remember correctly by the time the film came out anyone offering 3D was offering 48 FPS except some I Max presentations such as the BF..

Not quite true - there were (and will be this time around) far more regular 24fps 3D screenings than HFR ones. To show HFR film projectors have to be altered to allow for the new frame rate, so only certain cinemas with certain screens could do so. I live within range of four different cinemas (run by four different companies) and only one had one screen offering HFR, though all four cinemas were showing the 24fps 3D version.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Oct 24 2013, 7:43pm

Post #33 of 51 (235 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year there was also talk about a European premiere for AUJ in Berlin and in the end it was nothing but some guest going to an opening session :/

That's what i'm hoping for, even if it's a small. London uses to always hold some kind of premiere, not expecting the display of last year but it'd feel weird, like not having one in Wellington :/

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 8:07pm

Post #34 of 51 (227 views)
Shortcut
Bad news about Empire Leicester Square [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way, I was initially thinking of the Odeon Leicester Square. Is that not what the largest cinema in Leicester Square is called?

There is also a smaller cinema in the Square, which showed the film in HFR last year.

I can catch both HFR and IMAX locally. Although I'll go for the HFR in the first instance, I may try the IMAX at some point (I don't think I've ever seen a film in this format).

You are indeed lucky to have a friend in Wellington.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 24 2013, 8:09pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 8:08pm

Post #35 of 51 (219 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting, Bomby. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 9:55pm

Post #36 of 51 (215 views)
Shortcut
Well @ Almost 64 years old (By Shire Reconing) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby has about 25% Hearing Loss
(Industrial Deafness) from being
a BackStage Stagehand for the last 13 years...

(which included easliy over 200+ Rock Shows, Operas, HUGE Broadway RoadShows)

Diesal Engines Trucks hitting
their Air Brakes RIGHT
next to my Ears?
many HighLifts "droning on for 2 hours at a time",
While Hanging Aisle Banners for a Thousand+ Conventions?

Bomby DIDn't need
his Hearing Aids
with Dolby ATMOS,
Angelic...Now you Know
why Bomby RETIRED

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 24 2013, 9:59pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 10:05pm

Post #37 of 51 (199 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I see [In reply to] Can't Post

That explains a lot, Bomby. I hope you don't get tinitus as well apparently that can result from listening to a lot of loud music.

I'm now worried that Dolby Atmos may deafen me. Wink

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Oct 24 2013, 11:03pm

Post #38 of 51 (191 views)
Shortcut
If you can see the film at the BFI IMAX in London then do so! [In reply to] Can't Post

It may not be in 48fps but I promise you the size of the screen will more than make up for it. It can't be described. It's a cinema experience all of its own. I saw AUJ seven times at the cinema last year in five different formats and that was by far my favourite - even above the HFR.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2013, 11:37pm

Post #39 of 51 (197 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so, [In reply to] Can't Post

but the sound is different from what I normally experience. I saw AUJ both with and without Atmos, and the experience with Atmos is much more immersing, but not necessarily louder. So the quality is much better, but no worries about it being deafening.

For example, in an Atmos theater, I heard noises coming from over my shoulder, just at the same moment a character would hear something from the same location. The placement of the speakers allows you to hear sound in a similar manner as if you were in the movie.

I would highly recommend at least one Atmos viewing. It was really great.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 1:49am

Post #40 of 51 (194 views)
Shortcut
This is Funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

After Christmas last year
Bomby stayed for Mom's
92nd Birthday on the 29th of December..
TOOK Mom & and her Best Friend
( Native KIWI from Auckland )
To see it!

Both had toured LOTR Locations about 5 years
previously.
So... Marge (Mom2)
could visit NZ once again!

And Mom has HAD to put up...
with Bomby's "PASSION for anything Tolkien"
for TOO Long?

Hysterical
to glance over and see...
2 REALLY OLD LADIES
REALLY...Grinning
from Ear to Ear!
WEARING 3D Glasses?

Hard to see?
NOT!
THAT was Bomby's Present
BACK for Both of Them..

Bomby

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 25 2013, 1:52am)

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 8:45am

Post #41 of 51 (168 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you have a great relationship with your mum. And she and her friend sound like they are two very doughty, feisty ladies!! I think we all hope to still be enjoying life like that in very old age !Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 3:19pm

Post #42 of 51 (142 views)
Shortcut
I've a similar experiences, Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly remember two elegant, very elderly ladies who came and sat behind me in a tiny, very comfortable cinema in Leicester Square. They wore 3D glasses and seemed to find incredible enjoyment from the film. Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 3:21pm

Post #43 of 51 (141 views)
Shortcut
OK, then I will try that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll do so after I've first seen it in 48 HFR.

Thank you for your good advice, Rohirrim Rider.

In Reply To
It may not be in 48fps but I promise you the size of the screen will more than make up for it. It can't be described. It's a cinema experience all of its own. I saw AUJ seven times at the cinema last year in five different formats and that was by far my favourite - even above the HFR.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 3:23pm

Post #44 of 51 (146 views)
Shortcut
I'll see if I can find Dolby Atmos [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds as though it could provide quite an experience, especially if combined with IMAX.

Many thanks for the info.

In Reply To
but the sound is different from what I normally experience. I saw AUJ both with and without Atmos, and the experience with Atmos is much more immersing, but not necessarily louder. So the quality is much better, but no worries about it being deafening.

For example, in an Atmos theater, I heard noises coming from over my shoulder, just at the same moment a character would hear something from the same location. The placement of the speakers allows you to hear sound in a similar manner as if you were in the movie.

I would highly recommend at least one Atmos viewing. It was really great.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 25 2013, 3:26pm)

shadowDr

Oct 31 2013, 6:57pm

Post #45 of 51 (127 views)
Shortcut
DoS tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi I'm a newbie, who's always reading posts but finally opened an account :)
Just have a question, and would be grateful if you can answer.

With the release of DoS tickets tomorrow is there a specific time they will become available? Thanks in advance :)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 1:17am

Post #46 of 51 (122 views)
Shortcut
Cinema de Lux Tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

Went on sale at midnight but surprisingly the Odeon including the BFI are not loaded yet . If I remember correctly last year the Odeon was an early morning purchase.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2013, 8:17am

Post #47 of 51 (114 views)
Shortcut
Nothing from Cineworld, Vue or Odeon, yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember being able to order tickets when I woke up last year. Perhaps we'll have to wait for people to get into work, before they update the website(s).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 1 2013, 8:17am)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 9:55am

Post #48 of 51 (115 views)
Shortcut
Odeon Now Up [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Daniel,

The Odeon is now live and I have just booked the BFI Imax for Friday afternoon -which happens to be the 13th very appropriate for Dol Gulder.

Michelle

shadowDr

Nov 1 2013, 10:25am

Post #49 of 51 (116 views)
Shortcut
Booked!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Michelle!

I've got my tickets booked now aswell :)

Can't wait!!

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 11:15am

Post #50 of 51 (117 views)
Shortcut
Well Done [In reply to] Can't Post

and i hope its a wonderful experience for you.

I have deliberately avoided the trailers as I want to see it all on that huge screen first. I have my own views about where the film will start or conclude and how far the sub plot will develop but in reality I have no idea at all based on any concrete hard facts. I haven't seen a proper image of Beorn, Smaug or the Necromancer.

I feel certain that the closer we get the more likely hood is that matters will be revealed to me by accident so I am going to come back to the forum sometime in the week beginning the 16th with my initial impressions.

I think the biggest spoilers based on seeing U Tube footage after the screening last year are the TV trailers mercifully I watch practically no television but Warner Brothers in my view should show more restraint.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.