Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Would Azog have looked better like this?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 1:02am

Post #1 of 34 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Would Azog have looked better like this? Can't Post

http://daarken.com/.../2013/03/Azog_11.jpg
In this image he has a bit of straggly hair, kind of like gollums. I reckon it makes him seem a bit more older than his bold look.

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

haarp
Rivendell

Nov 1 2013, 1:29am

Post #2 of 34 (813 views)
Shortcut
45 [In reply to] Can't Post

The current design is horrible and generic.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 1:30am

Post #3 of 34 (817 views)
Shortcut
Uhm [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone notice the face in his private areas??

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 1:37am

Post #4 of 34 (789 views)
Shortcut
In the Geeky observation list... [In reply to] Can't Post

it says "297. Azog's loincloth has on it what appear to be dwarf faces, as though he has skinned the faces off dwarves he has killed and used them to make it."
I've never noticed in in the film though

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 2:45am

Post #5 of 34 (699 views)
Shortcut
I think he would have looked more sinister and ominous with straggling hair, and I [In reply to] Can't Post

thought that before seeing this picture. The image only solidifies that notion.

In Reply To
http://daarken.com/.../2013/03/Azog_11.jpg
In this image he has a bit of straggly hair, kind of like gollums. I reckon it makes him seem a bit more older than his bold look.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 2:58am

Post #6 of 34 (639 views)
Shortcut
Much [In reply to] Can't Post

Much more in line with other Orcs (Lurtz etc.)

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 3:04am

Post #7 of 34 (680 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate the current design, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...yes, this looks better and more frightening.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Nov 1 2013, 3:16am

Post #8 of 34 (626 views)
Shortcut
I like it [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly an improvement in my view. Makes him look both older and more sinister.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 4:15am

Post #9 of 34 (595 views)
Shortcut
Apparently this was among the later designs...? [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, judging by the action figure prototype shown just a month before the final product, which was very similar to this (including the hair). See the prototype here.

Thanks for sharing! Somehow this design seems much more menacing to me than the final design seen in the film. I like it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2013, 4:40am

Post #10 of 34 (558 views)
Shortcut
Not too bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

But just about anything would be better than what we currently have.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 7:18am

Post #11 of 34 (506 views)
Shortcut
Uhmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

am I missing something here? Final Azog looks almost identical to this, save the hair. :/

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 7:27am

Post #12 of 34 (505 views)
Shortcut
The drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

looks definitely more frighting than the final film-Azog.

The body is more compact and the face looks more like an ork.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 7:33am

Post #13 of 34 (486 views)
Shortcut
I'm not seeing it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remove the hair and the drawing looks almost identical.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2013, 8:18am

Post #14 of 34 (479 views)
Shortcut
Turning too human? [In reply to] Can't Post

The hair gives Azog much more of a human appearance. I'd rather they went the opposite way, really.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 12:18pm

Post #15 of 34 (343 views)
Shortcut
Not really [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I don't mind his design, and like his movements and voice.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 12:21pm

Post #16 of 34 (368 views)
Shortcut
Don't like the hair... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I think the colour would be better like this... more grey than white.

In general, I think many people complaining about Azog's CGI actually mean the colour grading. I find the design and CGI to be impressive... it is the albino look that makes him stand out a bit too much (though I kind of like their explanation that they wanted to create something on the lines of an High-Orc... I guess it will lso make it easy to connect him to Bolg).

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 12:59pm

Post #17 of 34 (353 views)
Shortcut
I am hardly an apologist for these films [In reply to] Can't Post

But I thought Azog was a great character; something straight out of a nightmare. I'm honestly a bit bemused by all the hate he's attracted. I can understand disliking the addition of his storyline, but I thought the character itself was exactly what was called for. The alternative here seems fine too (though I could see them rejecting it as being too similar to Bolg, if Bolg is in fact still in the films), but I'm quite satisfied with the Azog we got.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 1:20pm

Post #18 of 34 (333 views)
Shortcut
It is his storyline I hate. Replace the name Azog, with Bolg, and give this same design Bolg's history, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I would be fine. I would also be fine with Bolg, as designed, stepping into this role. I DON'T like this business of Azog being alive and running around Eriador and Rhovanion.

In Reply To
But I thought Azog was a great character; something straight out of a nightmare. I'm honestly a bit bemused by all the hate he's attracted. I can understand disliking the addition of his storyline, but I thought the character itself was exactly what was called for. The alternative here seems fine too (though I could see them rejecting it as being too similar to Bolg, if Bolg is in fact still in the films), but I'm quite satisfied with the Azog we got.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 1:22pm

Post #19 of 34 (343 views)
Shortcut
I don't really like the notion that an orc shouldn't ever be pale. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't see the problem, though talk of it making him a "high-orc" seems equally troubling. Were not Lurtz and the Uruk-Hai high orcs of a sort, or bred to be the pinnacle of the breed?

In Reply To

In general, I think many people complaining about Azog's CGI actually mean the colour grading. I find the design and CGI to be impressive... it is the albino look that makes him stand out a bit too much (though I kind of like their explanation that they wanted to create something on the lines of an High-Orc... I guess it will lso make it easy to connect him to Bolg).

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2013, 1:29pm

Post #20 of 34 (299 views)
Shortcut
You are right [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty much final Azog design sans strains of hair. Of course we could point out every little differences but that's normal for a transition from concept art to CGI model.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2013, 1:31pm

Post #21 of 34 (303 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog's design and CGI was fine. I don't get the hate he's getting, like, at all.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 1:54pm

Post #22 of 34 (284 views)
Shortcut
Do not get me wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I don't think orcs cannot be pale. I just thought that his particular colour grading might be what is throwing some people

Considering high orcs, this was just my word for it. I think they say in the appendices something along the lines of because orcs are a sort of evil image of the elves Azog would be something closer to that than most of the others.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 2:14pm

Post #23 of 34 (274 views)
Shortcut
I sort of agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm overall fine with Azog's design, and love his voice, the whiteness perhaps makes him look a bit too 'stone-like'.

In Reply To

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 1 2013, 2:15pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 2:20pm

Post #24 of 34 (275 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't think so.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's awful. The straggly hair just makes him look silly and the pose is pretty ridiculous too.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 8:56pm

Post #25 of 34 (195 views)
Shortcut
It's not Azog's CGI or his design that irks me most... [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog's design and CGI was fine. I don't get the hate he's getting, like, at all.

I didn't necessarily like the design or the CGI on Azog, but then again I don't really like the use of CGI on any of the close-up Orcs. I strongly prefer the Orcs to be actors in prosthetics. But that isn't really what irks me about Azog.

What irks me about Azog is the fact that the writers took this 142-years-dead character and gave him an active role in the story as one of the major villains, just because he was an enemy of the Dwarves once upon a time, long long ago (and apparently because they really liked his name Mad). Azog's small role in The Hobbit was as a long dead historical figure, and to take him and make him into such a prominent active character in the story is just going way too far IMO.

To me, it is akin to taking Celebrimbor, reviving him, and giving him an active role in LotR, just because once upon a time, long long ago, he had something to do with the Rings of Power.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.