Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Dwarves to "trip" through Mirkwood! ***SPOILER***
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 7:06pm

Post #1 of 30 (1910 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarves to "trip" through Mirkwood! ***SPOILER*** Can't Post

Just realized that in his EMPIRE interview, RA gives away another spoiler for what we can expect from PJ's visualization of Mirkwood...

The fact that the colours are pretty psychedelic (due to the Red cameras) has been known for a while, but there's even more to it:

Chief obstacle to dwarven progress is Mirkwood, Tolkien's impossibly vast and much-corrupted forest, which in Peter Jackson's devilish hands has been reborn as a hallucinogenic nightmare. "We spent weeks basically stoned," laughs Armitage, "acting stone obviously...or on acid." The fetid air is alive with mushroom spores, sending the party into a delirium. This labyrinth of tormented trees came painted in outlandish hues that will twist and warp to make Fangorn seem as threatening as Hundred Acre Wood.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 7:13pm

Post #2 of 30 (1028 views)
Shortcut
What is hundred acre wood? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope they do the forest justice. It needs to 'feel' endless and utterly massive. It is, after all, middle earth's largest forest.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 7:14pm

Post #3 of 30 (1043 views)
Shortcut
WHAAAAAAAAT!? [In reply to] Can't Post

You never heard of Winnie the Pooh?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 30 (981 views)
Shortcut
They also said it back in the August edition of EMPIRE [In reply to] Can't Post

We venture into Mirkwood, trippy with mushroom spores

I guessed a while back, as well, that they would replace the enchanted river with a poisonous mushroom, that Bombur eats.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 7:23pm

Post #5 of 30 (964 views)
Shortcut
If they axe the enchanted river sequence... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will boycott There and Back Again... by far one of the greater moments within The Hobbit.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 7:24pm

Post #6 of 30 (973 views)
Shortcut
from what we've seen in the vlogs.. [In reply to] Can't Post

i wouldn't be too worried about the forest not being epic.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 30 (901 views)
Shortcut
This is very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how Mirkwood will actually have an effect on the dwarves, rather than just being a creepy forest where they get lost in.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 30 (899 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

they might have replaced it, because if the rope got wet, and their hands were on the rope....

Retro315
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 30 (880 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say whether falling into the river for Bombur will still happen, but the "special questionnaire" thing from a few months back that had Stephen Colbert and Billy Boyd had Jackson show us artwork of the broken bridge, and he mentioned the dwarves would have to find another way across the river - so that much is adapted very specifically.

I suspect the mushroom delirium will happen after that, in the deepest, most evil parts of the forest, and will be what causes them to see "hallucinations" of elf hunting parties and will lead to their easy capture by spiders. After all, the dwarves are capable enough of slaying spiders - but if they're goofed up it'll add to their hunger and exhaustion.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 7:49pm

Post #10 of 30 (803 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting coz no mag for me yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Did kind of know this from somewhere as thought one of the designers had used the phrase "trippy with mushroom spores" and vblog shots look intense - plenty of mushrooms, drippy vegetation. Not sure stoned dwarves are a good idea with all the weapons they carry.

Made a special trip to Barnes and Noble (U.S.) this morning and was told I was "the third person that had asked about the special Empire covers" today. And was told that being a UK pub they probably wouldn't have it in until the last week of November, probably, at the earliest. So I whined but "shrugs" - yes, I know it's a UK publication but with everything global these days wasn't expecting that, Empire is always in the magazine racks in the bookstores. So I hope people post lots of quotes ): Still buying these hopefully IF I can, WHEN I can.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 8:01pm

Post #11 of 30 (741 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I remember that phrase about the trippy mushroom spores too, but treated it as a throw away remark since no one had made much of it....most of the talk has been about the "psychedelic" colourization of the trees, etc

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 30 (745 views)
Shortcut
i hope the elf hunting parties happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

i loved that part of the book, where they would run towards it and all of a sudden they would vanish in red smoke.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Long Hammer
The Shire

Oct 31 2013, 8:52pm

Post #13 of 30 (726 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw pics somewhere of the company carrying bombur, so I am pretty sure that will happen. I think the trippy mushrooms make a lot of sense why the dwarves get caught up by the spiders. I for one hope they don't do the disappearing party trick with the elves, neat part of the book, but don't think it works in a movie.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 8:56pm

Post #14 of 30 (683 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

just like the cool glowing green rings Gandalf made in Bilbo's place was cut too... :(

Pazeer
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 8:57pm

Post #15 of 30 (683 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also hoping they would leave the Elven parties out of the film, but with this new knowledge of "tripping" through Mirkwood and being hallucinogenic, I think it could really work!
I can picture Bilbo and the dwarves being really tired, affected by the mushrooms(?), etc. and then failing to reach the parties in the forest.
Perhaps the parties actually are hallucinations in the film? Smile

architecthis
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 10:33pm

Post #16 of 30 (582 views)
Shortcut
was hoping they would go this route [In reply to] Can't Post

since we first saw some mirkwood design work in one of the video blogs.

This could be really cool! The psychedelic colors lend themselves to this sort of thing...

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 10:43pm

Post #17 of 30 (566 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this means AUJ was just a bad acid trip... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Just kidding. I actually kind of like the idea. It gives Mirkwood something to set it aside from other locations.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Nunilo
Bree

Oct 31 2013, 10:47pm

Post #18 of 30 (554 views)
Shortcut
Mushroom spores [In reply to] Can't Post

I always imagined the intense gloominess and vastness of Mirkwood to cause the growing despair of the dwarves and Bilbo, what with walking through the dark for so long with no finish end in sight. It always seemed to be the lack of an end which made them so desperate, but I can how all those mushroom spores may have an effect on tired minds Crazy. I absolutely can't wait to see this part of the film. 'Psychedelic' was never something I associated with Mirkwood and I am intrigued to see how it will all play out.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 10:47pm

Post #19 of 30 (587 views)
Shortcut
What is sll this Drug Stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'll register a strong negative opinion on this one. For some reason Jackson can't leave the drug issues alone. It was bad enough hat he considers pipeweed to be like pot, but to turn Mirkwood into a big drug binge is too much for me.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 31 2013, 11:15pm

Post #20 of 30 (512 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Peter felt that two river set pieces in one film was one river set piece too many.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding. I actually think the Enchanted River scene will be included based on those images from Total Film magazine back in 2011 that showed Bilbo and the dwarves huddled on rocks that appear to be near the river's edge but in Mirkwood forest and includes a sleeping Bombur.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 1:04am

Post #21 of 30 (454 views)
Shortcut
it could also be [In reply to] Can't Post

that the reason for the mushroom addition is because (in the book) they were bumbling around after the lights went out, lost Thorin, and caught by spiders BECAUSE it was too dark to see.

That cannot translate on (or adapt to) film/cinema, because then the audience would only see a black screen and hear shouting.

If WE can see the dwarves in this "impossibly dark" forest, then they would look like they had all been struck blind if they were to play it out exactly as the book, because that would be the ONLY visual explanation for them running around like chickens with their heads cut off, screaming where everyone else was, and not fighting and killing the spiders as they are attacked.

However, if their running around, crying out to each other, and not fighting these volkswagen-sized spiders is due to somehow getting stoned off the mushrooms or something (or delirium from starvation-which would have to be alluded to in order to be understood) or something happens (like webs get spat at their eyes a la spiderman style) that blinds them (too cheesy in my opinion) before they can take out the spiders, then that makes more sense from a visual standpoint.

So, while I am not keen on the drug reference either, the mushrooms seems the least ludicrious and most plausible idea to keep the audience from not feeling like they are back in the '40s listening to a radio show for ten minutes....

Being a visual learner myself, I tend to have an easier time understanding what can and cannot plausibly translate to film....

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2013, 2:11am

Post #22 of 30 (400 views)
Shortcut
I think they kept it [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a picture out there somewhere of a poor, unconscious Bombur being carried around by the other dwarves just like in the book. How else would he have gotten that way?

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2013, 2:15am

Post #23 of 30 (401 views)
Shortcut
I think it could work [In reply to] Can't Post

But they'd only need to do it once, not three times like in the book. I think the visual effects of such a sequence could be very magical!

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 2:58am

Post #24 of 30 (404 views)
Shortcut
Question of degree IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't remember if it's the nicotine or not, but there are chemicals in tobacco, interestingly, that both energize and have a relaxing effect which is why smoking is "fun" and feels good. Chocolate is a kind of natural tranquilizer and so is milk. And how many of us feel groggy and sluggish during a particularly bad pollen season, or have seen footage of animals drunk from eating fruit that naturally fermented? Plenty of natural stuff in the woods that can have an effect.

Plus I think it's a nod back to old folktales, e.g. never eat or drink anything from fairies, elves, etc. or you will never leave their "otherworld" lands and also just part of the rotting darkness as the forest gets sicker. So for me it's very cool PJ & co. are playing around with all those influences.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 8:58am

Post #25 of 30 (316 views)
Shortcut
they were hongry [In reply to] Can't Post

ate some shrooms
and just like Ulysees tripped out

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.