Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Drogo and Primula in TH - Where did this Idea come from?

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 5:48pm

Post #1 of 15 (775 views)
Shortcut
Drogo and Primula in TH - Where did this Idea come from? Can't Post

I have noticed a few posts mentioning this, where is this idea coming from?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 5:50pm

Post #2 of 15 (443 views)
Shortcut
Ryan Gage, who plays Alrfrid, was originally cast as Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus there was a casting call describing both characters. Drogo was described as a bit of a ladies' man.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 31 2013, 5:51pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
Yes, here are the original casting calls: [In reply to] Can't Post

[PRIMULA BRANDYBUCK] Primula is a bright, lively and pretty young Hobbit. She is considered to be ‘wayward’ and ‘not proper’. But PRIMULA doesn’t care. – Prone to letting words and thoughts tumble out of her mouth without pause, PRIMULA can also be acutely observant. Kind hearted with a loving nature, she is the type of person who can light up a room sptv050769. LEAD. AGE: 18-27 STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[DROGO] Bilbo’s cousin, he has known Bilbo all his life and ends up becoming Frodo’s father. Drogo’s outgoing, friendly – likes his food and good ale and the companionship of others.. He is good looking, well liked and well known around The Shire and is a bit of a ladies man (in contrast to Bilbo.) He’s not interested in the outside world. In fact, he’s quite happy and content with his lot. He is naturally funny in that unintentional, Hobbity, English Village sort of way – someone who is immediately likable. LEAD. AGE: 25-35. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT (SHOULD NOT BE HEAVILY ACCENTED).

Which was originally leaked back in January 2010 (a couple of months before Del Toro left the production team). TORn posted an exclusive cast announcement (here) in October 2010 confirming that Gage was to play Drodo. Peter Jackson later confirmed that Alfrid would be played by Gage on 14th May 2011.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 31 2013, 6:01pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 6:08pm

Post #4 of 15 (403 views)
Shortcut
Also worth noting, when Gage was recast... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ said that Gage was originally cast in a "smaller role", but they liked him so much that they gave him the much bigger Alfrid part. So, we can assume Drogo is (or was) only a small character anyway.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 15 (335 views)
Shortcut
Roles/scenes in the film ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how they will be fitted into the films...

Retro315
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 7:30pm

Post #6 of 15 (319 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

Contextually it's very cool to see Frodo's parents - I'd love for them to be partaking in the Bag-End auction and the most relieved to see Bilbo back, alive (contrasted with Lobelia and Otho who will be aghast).

It'll help build Frodo's relationship to Bilbo - all the Shire/cousins relationships are pretty helpful in that regard, and create a well-rounded home life for our heroes.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
Possibly cast younger now [In reply to] Can't Post

The original casting calls seem to be for the 'bridge film' that no longer exists. They call for older actors then would be wanted if the characters were to appear in the timeframe of the Quest of Erebor. At the time of Bilbo's adventure, Primula would be a young, adolescent hobbit in her early-20s; Drogo would have only recently come of age at 33.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 9:52pm

Post #8 of 15 (256 views)
Shortcut
I always felt that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if they were going to show Drogo and Primula, the time would have been in LotR. At this point, it would be superfluous to make a point of showing Frodo's parents.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 15 (137 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...if they were going to show Drogo and Primula, the time would have been in LotR. At this point, it would be superfluous to make a point of showing Frodo's parents.

It could be cute if the younger versions of the characters get a cameo at the auction of Bag End. Primula Brandybuck as the adolescent making moon-eyes at the handsome, older Drogo. Or, something along those lines.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 6:18pm

Post #10 of 15 (115 views)
Shortcut
One thing that is possibly necessary to explore [In reply to] Can't Post

Is why Bilbo didn't find a girl and get married after his adventures. Maybe Drogo and Primula will have something to do with that aspect of Bilbo?

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 15 (93 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

If its a short little cameo, I'd be fine with it, but there's really no way to make known who they are or why they are of any importance, since Frodo won't even be born for another few decades. So a short little mention of them would be OK I guess, but I don't really think it's at all necessary.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 1 2013, 8:40pm

Post #12 of 15 (96 views)
Shortcut
No, you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a cameo would just be an easter egg for fans of Tolkien's legendarium. The characters could be identified by dialogue without too much trouble.

A group of adolescent hobbit-girls descend on young PRIMULA. The leader of the group starts playfully teasing her.

HOBBIT-GIRL #1: Primula Brandybuck! There you are! What are you up to?

HOBBIT-GIRL #2: She's admiring Drogo Baggins over there! I bet she thinks he's handsome!

HOBBIT-GIRL #1: So! What? Are you goin' ta marry him some day?

PRIMULA (speculatively): Maaay-be.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 9:07pm

Post #13 of 15 (79 views)
Shortcut
I'd be cool with something like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 9:10pm

Post #14 of 15 (90 views)
Shortcut
You think they will delve into Bilbo's reasons for remaining a bachelor? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see maybe a scene or some minor dialogue related to that, but not much else.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 2 2013, 12:25am

Post #15 of 15 (78 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Bilbo is the bachelor type [In reply to] Can't Post

Or he's not into girls. Sly I kid, I kid.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.