Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EMPIRE Magazine clue to contents of DoS Prologue... ***SPOILERS***
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 1:13pm

Post #1 of 36 (2316 views)
Shortcut
EMPIRE Magazine clue to contents of DoS Prologue... ***SPOILERS*** Can't Post

In the Dec issue of EMPIRE magazine it states "Christian Rivers is filming the second film 's prologue, in which dwarves and orcs, (provisionally stunt men in grey leotards with large tubes on their heads that stand in for eye-line,) are making their grievances felt. Later, Rivers seeks out Jackson's advice on the best way for Jeffrey Thomas' Thror to fall over. Towards the camera is the swift conclusion."

Not really much else new, other than the revelation that the company of Dwarves suffers "a breaking of the Felllowship" at Laketown when the injured Kili is left behind with some of the party...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 31 2013, 1:15pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 1:59pm

Post #2 of 36 (1231 views)
Shortcut
So the prologue.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Will be azanubilzar?

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 36 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Most evidence point towards Gandalf's meeting with Thorin in Bree and Thrain's whereabouts after Moria... [In reply to] Can't Post

... which will create a "flashback within a flashback", if that's the case.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 36 (1084 views)
Shortcut
That what I figure, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

We know they are going to show up what happened to Thrain at Azanulbizar, I believe that has been stated somewhere, previously?

There's also more from EMPIRE that I forgot to add:-

Armitage is quoted as saying "What's really exciting is that at the beginning of the second movie we establish the importance of the Arkenstone, and why we need a burglar to get it."

The feature on Luke Evans also confirms that Bard is a widower... EMPIRE states "Bard has lost his wife and is single father to a family who play an 'incredibly strong role' in his journey."

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 31 2013, 2:18pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 36 (983 views)
Shortcut
Anything new about mirkwood spiders?;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 2:35pm

Post #6 of 36 (993 views)
Shortcut
It would be cool if theya big flaming guy is involved here... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog... it would be nice if they mention him... a nice parallelism with TTT.
But I just want him barely mentioned... not a full blown exposure.
So, who knows what epicness they could pull out.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 36 (937 views)
Shortcut
Nope! [In reply to] Can't Post

...petty much the only mention, other than PB commenting that Tolkien leaves the spiders as genderless, is that "Bilbo must rescue the dozy dwarves from a nest of Mirkwood spiders...."

Victoria Monfort

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 2:41pm

Post #8 of 36 (966 views)
Shortcut
Any Thranduil info? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 2:51pm

Post #9 of 36 (939 views)
Shortcut
Nothing on the Elves at all! (other than the two pictures of T & L already posted... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, the article focuses most on Laketown, (they built 5 different sets) how they filmed the barrels sequence, sets/ locations vs CGI - how it's cheaper to use CG than build sets, ("CGI regularly comes to the rescue"); There's 4 mini features on RA, IMcK, MF & LE; a brief excerpt of the discussion between PB, FW & PJ (re: Tauriel) whether there were actually any females in the book...plus a small cast comments feature on the expectations for Smaug.

Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 31 2013, 2:54pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 3:24pm

Post #10 of 36 (854 views)
Shortcut
Yes, remove "they" from the title... with all this excitment I can't even type. // [In reply to] Can't Post

http://energyfromthorium.com/

(This post was edited by xxxyyy on Oct 31 2013, 3:24pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 5:23pm

Post #11 of 36 (782 views)
Shortcut
Expected this, and made sense given the hints thus far... [In reply to] Can't Post

Open in Bree (just before Gandy heads for Bag End and Thorin heads north)?; Thrain is mentioned, flash-back to Azanulbizar from a new perspective; follow mad Thrain as he's encountered by Gandy in the depths of Moria, gives Gandy the map and key before being attacked by Orcs (and brought before the Necromancer)?; flash-back to to Bree with Gandy saying something to Thorin about not failing should he encounter Thrain again, then resume with our company as they set out for Beorn's house.

Or, too complicated? Might just be the Azanulbizar stuff, (funny how both the second LotR and TH films both seem to open with a Moria-related flash-back, revisiting a scene from film 1).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 5:36pm

Post #12 of 36 (705 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't mind seeing it play out like that.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 36 (693 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried finding it online but couldn't view the articles....

Could you maybe include the text from the section where they talk about Kili being left behind with some of the company? I find it an interesting departure from the book, and have been curious about this part of the storyline since the DOS sneak peek Smile

Thanks! Laugh

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 6:59pm

Post #14 of 36 (660 views)
Shortcut
Sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in the interview feature with RA:

"The Dwarves break into two halves after Lake-tow," reveals Armitage. "Kili gets injured and has to remain behind so the dwarves break. If it couldn't go any more wrong, it goes more wrong. When they get there, they have very little resource apart from the burglar."

Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 7:27pm

Post #15 of 36 (625 views)
Shortcut
I really like that idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

The stakes seem to get higher and our company loses their seeming invincibility.

The fun starts to slip away from them, as might their motivation and optimism. Perfect atmosphere for the deterioration of Thorin's character.

Ugh... Kind of glad I have another year to prepare for ... Well THAT one scene.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 7:37pm

Post #16 of 36 (568 views)
Shortcut
me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

With the mentioning of Thor falling towards the camera... It could indicate his capture in Moria by the orcs.
And maybe a look at the balrog !

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 9:27pm

Post #17 of 36 (541 views)
Shortcut
Yay and ugh! lol I hope this Thror falling over business is not handled as another gore fest. [In reply to] Can't Post

They know these are whole family movie events, and tailored parts of the first film thus. Desolation should be darker, grim and scary at times, but there is no need to be grisly.

HOWEVER!!! If this means Gandalf finding Thrain IN Moria, and giving up on saving him due to the approach of the only true Terror in Moria great enough to turn an army of dwarves away from vengeance for Durin and from their homeland, and to get even a Wizard to hasten his retreat.

As much as I longed for a proper, historically accurate Dol Guldur situation... the allusion to the fell being who truly made Moria a place of dread to Dwarves and Elves would make up for much. lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Oct 31 2013, 9:29pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 9:31pm

Post #18 of 36 (506 views)
Shortcut
Thror [In reply to] Can't Post

So you want them to disrespect Tolkien? ;)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 9:41pm

Post #19 of 36 (507 views)
Shortcut
One could also imagine this as the root of the look some have suggested Azog gives when he sees Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

and the look Gandalf gives when Thorin proclaims Azog dead. Perhaps, in the movie, they met not in Dol Guldur but in Moria. Gandalf enters searching for Thrain, and drives off the orcs holding him prisoner, Azog among them, but is forced to leave at the coming of a far greater, older and fouler foe (not a full reveal, of course) than Azog and his orcs. One can imagine him telling Thorin, "I tried to save your father, but he was witless and wandering, and already near to death, and something more terrible and powerful than the orcs came against me... a terror still reigns in Moria: Durin's Bane. I was already weary, and not prepared for a test of strength against such a dreadful foe. If I was to fullfill Thrain's wish, an uncertain battle with the Terror or Moria could not be risked." ...

In Reply To
Open in Bree (just before Gandy heads for Bag End and Thorin heads north)?; Thrain is mentioned, flash-back to Azanulbizar from a new perspective; follow mad Thrain as he's encountered by Gandy in the depths of Moria, gives Gandy the map and key before being attacked by Orcs (and brought before the Necromancer)?; flash-back to to Bree with Gandy saying something to Thorin about not failing should he encounter Thrain again, then resume with our company as they set out for Beorn's house.

Or, too complicated? Might just be the Azanulbizar stuff, (funny how both the second LotR and TH films both seem to open with a Moria-related flash-back, revisiting a scene from film 1).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 9:43pm

Post #20 of 36 (507 views)
Shortcut
Who stays with Kili? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others have said, splitting the dwarves up sounds very interesting...I'm not sure whether I'll like it.

So now we know Thorin heads for the mountain and Kili stays behind, but who else goes and stays? I think the trailers have given us the answer. Looking at the scene from the teaser trailer when Balin says "That, my lad, was a dragon," we also see Dori, Dwalin, Bifur, Ori, and Bombur (behind Dwalin). Then, in the main trailer when the dwarves are dodging dragon-fire the dwarves I could make out were (from closest to farthest) Bombur, Balin, Thorin, Dwalin, Ori, Dori, Nori (no Bifur).

So based on those shots...

THORIN goes with...
Balin
Dwalin
Dori
Nori
Ori
Bifur
Bombur
(Bilbo)

KILI stays with...
Fili?
Gloin?
Oin?
Bofur?

What do you guys think about this?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 9:45pm

Post #21 of 36 (485 views)
Shortcut
lol. Not at all. I just don't want them to zoom in and make a Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Massacre, inappropriate for anything short of an R rated movie moment. I am not asking them to re-write history so that Thror escapse with only a missing hand and takes up life as a hook-armed pirate captain... just that they not revel in the gory details of an appalling matter.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 9:48pm

Post #22 of 36 (461 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

still wish they would have had the "writing in forehead" stuff from the book.....

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 10:07pm

Post #23 of 36 (463 views)
Shortcut
Technically ... it did happen ... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see the head prop here. So it did happen, we just didn't see it happen. Does that still make it canon? (I'd go for yes).

Smile

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 10:10pm

Post #24 of 36 (444 views)
Shortcut
Technically [In reply to] Can't Post

Those look more like battle scars, not AZOG written in his forehead.

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 10:16pm

Post #25 of 36 (457 views)
Shortcut
I seem to remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

... John Callen saying something about in being forced to make some sort of difficult decision regarding the quest (can't recall where I heard it though, I'm afraid). Perhaps, as the resident healer, that means him choosing to stay behind for Kli's sake?

First time I've heard about the Company splitting up, by the way. I wonder what that means for the continuing story; If they are still separated as late as Smaug's rampage upon the mountain, will they even be able to get back together before the Battle of the Five Armies?

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 31 2013, 10:24pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.