Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Best Thing About the New Trilogy
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 1:40am

Post #1 of 32 (1358 views)
Shortcut
The Best Thing About the New Trilogy Can't Post

This question is even directed at you haters out there. lol

For me, undoubtedly the best thing is Thranduil. Has there ever been better casting for a role in Middle-Earth (other than Sir Ian for Gandalf, of course)?

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 1:49am

Post #2 of 32 (714 views)
Shortcut
Its hard to say before we even see him [In reply to] Can't Post

play a speaking role.

I like seeing more of the dwarves. Despite the crew's notion that they are more prone to slapstick and self deprecating humor. Would have liked a slightly more dignified image in general. Also, I don't really care for the production's dwarven weapon designs. They look almost paleolithic (the swords,) when dwarves were supposed to have some of the best and most advanced weapons. I'm not saying elven craftsmanship was poor, but dwarven steel should be better than human and shouldn't look like stone.

In short, dwarven culture.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 1:58am

Post #3 of 32 (670 views)
Shortcut
agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil is going to be amazing! i also like how we have orcs as the main villains (Azog/Bolg) this time instead of Saruman/Sauron.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 31 2013, 1:58am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 2:22am

Post #4 of 32 (657 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil looks awesome. agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

How he will perform on screen is yet to be seen, but I'm definitely optimistic about him.

I wouldn't say he's the best thing just yet. Martin Freeman is such a ridiculously perfect Bilbo that he just melts into the world. I almost forget about how perfect he is because he blends in that well.

I do like what we've seen of Mirkwood in terms of design so far. I'm still not a fan of the ridiculous CGI, but at least the designs themselves are still attractive. Erebor looks fantastic as well.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

haarp
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 2:28am

Post #5 of 32 (629 views)
Shortcut
6 [In reply to] Can't Post

We've seen him perform in AUJ and he was amazing, he didn't have to speak, you can tell by the way he used body language that he knew what he was doing.

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Oct 31 2013, 2:34am

Post #6 of 32 (638 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we will be blown away by smaug. Especially with his voice booming through the speakers in the theater: "Smaug: [laughs] Revenge? You? I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears! The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death! "

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 3:14am

Post #7 of 32 (615 views)
Shortcut
The whole cast [In reply to] Can't Post

Could have been perfect if they had been given a good script.
RA would have been a grand Thorin if he had more beard and less backstory.

The best as of yet has been Freeman. Perfect.

Smaug and Bard can be great but I shall wait.

I dislike the over-pompousity of Thranduil. One would think he surpasses Elrond in might and wisdom.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 31 2013, 3:19am

Post #8 of 32 (637 views)
Shortcut
I remember wondering how they were going to represent the Balrog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those designs were kept well under wraps, and it was a big question about how they were going to depict a creature wreathed in shadow and flame. The FOTR trailer that showed a brief shot of the Balrog's flaming heel (as he chased the Fellowship) gave us a clue ... but when he was revealed in all his flaming glory on screen I think my brain seized. Utterly fantastic. Beyond what I could have hoped for.

I'm a bit less certain about Smaug as the shot we saw of him in the first trailer didn't blow my socks off. But I'm hoping that image we've seen doesn't do Smaug justice, by a long shot, and that Weta have actually pulled out of their hat another iconic beastie for the ages. (Certainly the sound design for his voice in the second trailer is superb.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Yngwulff
Gondor

Oct 31 2013, 3:48am

Post #9 of 32 (571 views)
Shortcut
Yeah its amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

All plot/canon diversions aside, the casting, acting, set design and have been spot on amazing.
You feel like they are the real deal and actually in moddle earth during these films.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Kim
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 4:21am

Post #10 of 32 (554 views)
Shortcut
Once again, can't pick just one [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll go with my top 5:

1) The lighter tone
2) The brighter visuals
3) The cast, especially Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage
4) The music
5) We get 3 more movies in Middle Earth!

Smile

Elk2013
The Shire

Oct 31 2013, 9:49am

Post #11 of 32 (436 views)
Shortcut
Just the same answer in my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

before I kicked this thread open.
Always love the book!Thrandy since I first read THE HOBBIT ten years ago, and Lee Pace is likely to give us a wonderful Elven King.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 11:09am

Post #12 of 32 (393 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 11:13am

Post #13 of 32 (385 views)
Shortcut
The White Council! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply walked into Mordor.

Endor Dweller
Bree

Oct 31 2013, 11:31am

Post #14 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
The cast.// [In reply to] Can't Post

- Good morning.
- What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning...or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?

- Good evening.
- Yes, yes it is. Though I think it might rain later.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 11:45am

Post #15 of 32 (397 views)
Shortcut
The cast [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman and Ken Stott. I also have high hopes for Lee Pace, and for the characters of Beorn and Smaug.

In addition, I really like the depictions of Middle-Earth in the film, the colours, and sequences like the Erebor prologue and the Eagles, which are outstanding.

In Reply To
This question is even directed at you haters out there. lol

For me, undoubtedly the best thing is Thranduil. Has there ever been better casting for a role in Middle-Earth (other than Sir Ian for Gandalf, of course)?

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 31 2013, 11:45am)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 12:01pm

Post #16 of 32 (376 views)
Shortcut
I personally.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hate the character of thranduil(both film and book).The best casting choice is martin freeman as bilbo!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 12:40pm

Post #17 of 32 (337 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee, John Howe & Richard Taylor. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 1:02pm

Post #18 of 32 (346 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. The Best Casting? [In reply to] Can't Post

John Howe & Alan Lee.

In Bomby's Opinion....

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Oct 31 2013, 1:41pm

Post #19 of 32 (331 views)
Shortcut
The best thing to me is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the SCENERY!!! Absolutely LOVE the outdoor shots, especially Ernshaw Burn with all those waterfalls - that's why I'm planning to make my own trip to Middle-Earth! The casting is so good I can't find any fault in it, but I suppose Martin would be the best NEW cast member (and that's saying alot since I'm crushing on Richard Armitage right nowHeart). I'm sure Lee Pace will be great, too, but I'm most looking forward to Bard and Smaug in the 2nd movie. Really could have done without the whole Azog thing, and could care less about Bolg.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 1:43pm

Post #20 of 32 (332 views)
Shortcut
For people new to the films, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the best thing will be that, just as with the books, people will really enjoy The Hobbit, but will be stunned when they watch FOTR, as they won't be expecting the quality and depth of storytelling, not to mention the beautiful ethereal cinematography of the older trilogy.

The Hobbit will (if they don't mess it up) be a good taster for the main event.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 5:21pm

Post #21 of 32 (245 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit will (if they don't mess it up) be a good taster for the main event.

And it may make people appreciate the main event even more. I really like how they set some things up in The Hobbit. The so called "echoes" in The Hobbit from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I personally like to think of more as foreshadowing's of what's to come. It's kind of the reverse of what the critics are thinking. The Hobbit comes first for the viewers and Lord of the Rings echoes back to it. Gollum's "It's ours, It's ours!" will mean more now in LOTR as will "Mustn't ask us, not its business!" I don't think they overused this reusing of lines too much, but just enough. The very best one is the first line of the movie..."My dear Frodo..." The very last scene of Return of the King begins the same way with Frodo speaking to Sam, "My dear Sam..."

Whether it all works or not I'll never really know for myself since I've already seen the Lord of the Rings movies, but I think that the filmmakers have set up, quite nicely, a journey that new viewers can take from An Unexpected Journey to the Return of the King.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 31 2013, 5:22pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 5:22pm

Post #22 of 32 (254 views)
Shortcut
This far? Exploring the Dwarven culture and history [In reply to] Can't Post

It used to be such an under appreciated part of Middle-Earth, but now people have found them!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 5:59pm

Post #23 of 32 (229 views)
Shortcut
These - couldn't agree more... [In reply to] Can't Post

... very closely followed by the cast, and the music.

Can't judge anything from DoS yet, as I haven't seen it

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 7:22pm

Post #24 of 32 (200 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, yes, I definitely should have included Howard Shore in my list! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ranger
The Shire

Oct 31 2013, 7:50pm

Post #25 of 32 (200 views)
Shortcut
LEGO [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the obvious (three new films in Middle-earth!), I enjoy the fresh push in LotR merchandise: board and card games, video games and LEGO Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.