Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How would you rank the Middle Earth films so far and where do you think DOS will fit in?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Oct 30 2013, 7:46pm

Post #1 of 44 (1055 views)
Shortcut
How would you rank the Middle Earth films so far and where do you think DOS will fit in? Can't Post

From worst to best, I would rank them:

4. An Unexpected Journey: 8.5
3. The Two Towers: 9.0
2. The Return of the King: 9.5
1. The Fellowship of the Ring: 9.5

With The Desolation of Smuag, from the way it is shaping up, I imagine, if it goes well, it will go in between TTT and ROTK. If it doesn't go too well it will go between TTT and AUJ. I did semi-love AUJ, but I feel DOS will be of the same general quality and because I prefer the content I am sure it will not be worse.

How would you rank them so far and from how DOS is shaping up, where can you imagine yourself putting it?

book Gandalf
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 8:01pm

Post #2 of 44 (610 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

the same so far, and i dont think any hobbit film will rank above the lotr films im afraid, this is my predictions

unfortunately for me , the hobbit just isnt the hobbit its almost a fan film, i was watching ttt last night and the grim reality of thedeon crying over theodredwas just so perfect , the hobbit will never match moments like those.

6.auj
5.taba
4.dos
3.ttt
2.rotk
1.fotr

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 30 2013, 8:02pm

Post #3 of 44 (600 views)
Shortcut
My ratings [In reply to] Can't Post

An Unexpected Journey:9.3
Great acting,especially martin freeman
Fellowship of the Ring:8.5
Weaker, but still great
Two Tower:9.7
My favorite
Rotk:9.5
Awesome too
Dos:Probably 9.5
If bilbo kills the all of the spiders maybe even higher;-)!

imin
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 44 (620 views)
Shortcut
Worst to best [In reply to] Can't Post

4. AUJ - 6/10
3. TTT - 8/10
2. ROTK - 8.5/10
FOTR - 9.5/10

I would like to say i can see DOS getting about 8/10 or more but i think it will be more 6-7/10 though that would still be better than AUJ so would make me happy. I'm not expecting much at all this time round so i could be in for a nice surprise, lol.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2013, 8:04pm

Post #5 of 44 (557 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

FotR - 10/10 (perfect film)

TTT - 9.9/10 (near-perfect, had issues primarily with Faramir and lack of connection to cast due to separate stories, though this was inevitable)

RotK - 9.8/10 (near-perfect, had issues with Faramir, lack of subtlety with Denthor, how Arwen's story was handled, and again lack of FotR's connection to the cast)

AUJ/DoS/TABA - 5/10 (have gone back and forth with this, but ultimately have accepted AUJ as IMO a flawed and disappointing, if not entirely terrible, film and from what we've gotten of DoS and TABA that probably will continue into TH films 2 and 3 - however, will hold off judgement until the EE's have been released, and am excited for certain things namely Thranduil, Lake-town and the Dol Guldur story)

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Oct 30 2013, 8:04pm)

imin
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 8:04pm

Post #6 of 44 (580 views)
Shortcut
Just thought i would say [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your avatar Smile

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wayward
The Shire

Oct 30 2013, 8:12pm

Post #7 of 44 (531 views)
Shortcut
Too difficult to give numerical scores... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many reasons why I like different aspects of each film. I can come up with a ranking based on which films I long most to watch when I get a chance.

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Return of the King
3. The Two Towers
4. The Desolation of Smaug--wishful thinking, maybe? We shall see.
5. An Unexpected Journey

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 44 (538 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

And my rankings would be about the same as well.

Desolation looks like it has potential. Knowing what to expect this time around, my expectations are certainly lowered yet optimistic.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

emre43
Lorien

Oct 30 2013, 8:17pm

Post #9 of 44 (533 views)
Shortcut
1. ROTK - 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

2. FOTR - 9.9
3. AUJ - 9
4. TTT - 6.5

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 8:17pm

Post #10 of 44 (531 views)
Shortcut
I don't usually rank the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially as I consider the three The Lord of the Rings as a single film split in three parts (a single narrative). But I will say that An Unexpected Journey wasn't a better film than any of The Lord of the Rings films, but it was a better adaptation in comparison to them.

That probably balances it all out, so I rate them the same. I expect more of the same with The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again.

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 30 2013, 8:50pm

Post #11 of 44 (487 views)
Shortcut
AUJ would be my #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

With FOTR at 1
ROTK at 3
and TTT at 4

No way to tell where DOS will fit in, but based on story and content alone I wouldn't be surprised if I enjoy it more that ROTK & TTT.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Oct 30 2013, 9:04pm

Post #12 of 44 (447 views)
Shortcut
I would rank and rate them like this [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Return of the King 9/10
2. Fellowship of the Ring 9/10
3. The Two Towers 9/10
4. An Unexpected Journey 8/10

9 being "great" and 8 "very good". I wonder how my list will look after DOS and TABA. Smile

Beeromir
The Shire

Oct 30 2013, 9:05pm

Post #13 of 44 (439 views)
Shortcut
I endorse these ratings [In reply to] Can't Post

book Gandalf
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 44 (416 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

..just trying to keep it real, nothing against mckellen, he is the best thing in all these films, oscar worthy character, i just really love the books.

gets me thinking, the overwhelming majority think FOTR is by far almost perfect! i sense a lotr film thread coming on...see you there

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 9:26pm

Post #15 of 44 (421 views)
Shortcut
It depends on whether you mean the theatricals or not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the cinemas:
FOTR: 10 - as near a perfect film as it's possible to make. Remove one word, and I'm perfectly happy.
TTT: 9.5 - the prologue and the main battle make up for any shortcomings, and I liked the warg battle. Remove Mr Astin's smaltzy end speech and I'm perfectly content.
ROTK: 9.2 - the integrity of keeping the multiple endings makes up for some shortcomings. Also, the battle of Osgiliath and Faramir's final charge. Nothing to complain about really except for the green soap bubbles that shouldn't be there. And there was too much cut out of the theatrical edition.

AUJ: 7.5 - great prologue and excellent that they gave the unexpected party the right length - very important as what will be the beginning of a 20 hour story. Comedy bad guy going 'aaargh' all the time, McCoy's mugging, and the last bit of the goblin town sequence (the first half was good) were the only major let-downs, apart from the final scene with Bilbo being too heroic too early. Although the tone wasn't as lyrical and Northern European as it should have been, and there were lots of minor things that could have been better.

DOS: depends on how they show Mirkwood, and whether they manage to keep the magical old folklore elements - the Wild Hunt, enchanted river and the elves' otherworldliness. Also, they need to become more grumpy. And as long as Tauriel gets drunk and lets the dwarves escape by accident, and they don't spare her this ignominy just because she's a girl, then I'll happily give it a higher score than AUJ.

TABA: depends on a good performance by whoever is playing Lobelia. Bilbo's return to Bag End is the most important part of the film.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 9:43pm

Post #16 of 44 (418 views)
Shortcut
I can't compare the LOTR films to the Hobbit film(s). [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR is my favorite book in the whole world. The Hobbit isn't.

So, while I probably think they're doing a worse job of adapting the Hobbit than they did LOTR, I'm enjoying it more because the story isn't as special to me.

As far as ranking LOTR:

FOTR - 8.0
TTT - 6.0
ROTK - 5.0

As far as an adaptation, AUJ doesn't get more than a 5.0. But it was a totally fun romp, and except for a few aberrations (troll-snot soup, stone giants, Radagast's poo-hair, the rabbit sled), I enjoyed every minute of it.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Oct 30 2013, 9:44pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 9:45pm

Post #17 of 44 (388 views)
Shortcut
I do not rank them for myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but want to add that for me FotR is close to a perfect movie and far superior to all that followed, yet all of this was great, including AUJ (though very different, thankfully).

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 30 2013, 9:45pm

Post #18 of 44 (410 views)
Shortcut
Tha's pretty much how I'd rank them, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
4. AUJ - 6/10
3. TTT - 8/10
2. ROTK - 8.5/10
FOTR - 9.5/10

I would like to say i can see DOS getting about 8/10 or more but i think it will be more 6-7/10 though that would still be better than AUJ so would make me happy. I'm not expecting much at all this time round so i could be in for a nice surprise, lol.

FotR was practically perfect to me... TTT went slight off the rails with the Osgiliation, and RotK was over-stuffed - should have been split into 2! AUJ was a disappointment - apart from being a CGI-fest it had too much invented padding, and the mish-mash of tones just didn't work for me.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 30 2013, 9:50pm)

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Oct 30 2013, 10:03pm

Post #19 of 44 (371 views)
Shortcut
Film Rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar to others, it's hard for me to think of the LoTR films as "seperate" anymore. But if I think back to how much fun/emotional reaction I had to the films after seeing them the first time it would be:

1. ROTK- Pippin singing during Faramir's suicide mission, the gallant charge of the Rohirrim, Frodo and Sam on the slopes of Orodruin. Slight negative points for Legolas vs Mumakil.
2. FOTR- Chamber of Mazarbul, the Fellowship climbing the crest of a mountain set to incredible music, Gandalf vs. Balrog cage match.
3. TTT- Gandalf vs Balrog falling death match, Gandalf at dawn to the east, Battle of the Hornburg. Negative points for Legolas surf show, and Legolas defies physics to mount a horse in an obvious attempt to show off to Gimli and the Rohirrim :)
4 AUJ- Epic prologue (seriously awesome), Dwarf fireside epic song, MOAR BRET MCKENZIE!!!. Big negatives for poo-hair rabbit-riding Radaghast (though I LOVE Sylvester McCoy), zipline gimp goblin, Stone Giant Fight Club (first rule of SGFC, you don't talk about SGFC), and poor overuse of recurring LoTR musical themes, culminating in the iconic Nazgul music at the end.

Prediction for DoS? It's darker theme and setting, plus Ben Cumberbatch, more Martin Freeman, finally Luke Evans, will probably push AUJ down and possibly overtake TTT, but unlikely. Great work PJ and we look forward to a better film since you have time to improve it :)

*Note: I know practically everyone has FOTR first, which I totally understand, but I'm a sucker for everything and anything Gondor-related, so that tipped ROTK into first for me. Honestly though Sean Bean is almost enough to make FOTR #1 for no other reason other than that he is in it a lot. Thank the Valar he got more scenes in the EEs.

"The Men of the Sea send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel."

(This post was edited by OrphanOfNumenor on Oct 30 2013, 10:07pm)

cats16
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 10:04pm

Post #20 of 44 (373 views)
Shortcut
Never heard that word before! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the Osgiliation

An interesting word. Wink

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 30 2013, 10:33pm

Post #21 of 44 (346 views)
Shortcut
My ranking [In reply to] Can't Post

As films/my level of enjoyment;

1) Fellowship of The Ring 10/10 pretty much a perfect film
2) The Two Towers 7.5/10
3) Return of The King 7.5/10

(Though it's been three or four years since I've seen the trilogy)

4) The Rankin Bass Hobbit 6.5/10-some rather crazy cheapy designs, and an erratic pace aside I really like this film, and currently prefer it to Jackson's version, as much like me it treats The Hobbit as a stand alone childrens fairytale, and whilst far from a perfect film I simply find it more fun, and more in tune with my own vision of the story.
5) Bakshi's LOTR 6/10
6)AUJ 5/10, for the typical reasons *Azog, CGI, Length, Bird Poop, Overblown Action Scenes etc*, granted I haven't seen the film since it was released and I have a rather odd/biased view of The Hobbit Book, but I can't really see it being a rating that will change much.

As adaptions on the other hand...having read LOTR after seeing Jackson's films, and only recently having got into 'properly' reading the books (and Tolkien critisism) I've come to the conclusion that all of the film are in one way or another pretty terrible adaptions.

DOS, looks to be an even more liberal rewrite, er, adaption, but on the other hand certainly seems to be shaping up as a much more cinematic film, with the benefit of an extra year's post production and seemingly much more material to justify it's undoubtedly length run time, so I'm guessing it will slot in somewhere between Bass and Bakshi.

I don't have much to say.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 30 2013, 10:56pm

Post #22 of 44 (333 views)
Shortcut
I believe it was coined on another Tolkien messageboard... [In reply to] Can't Post

and is a useful shorthand for certain missteps at the end of TTT... Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 30 2013, 10:57pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 11:03pm

Post #23 of 44 (325 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit like being asked which is your favourite child... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or it might be if I had any. Wink

Like Daniel said, Lord of the Rings is one film to me. If I'm watching I always watch all three parts (in order). I have favourite scenes rather than favourite films.

And The Hobbit is a work in progress. I enjoyed it from the start, more as I get to know it better, and I'm really looking forward to the EE (still!). Now there are threads unresolved, storylines that I can't predict the end of, and it will be a long time before I can rate it as a whole - but I'm sure it will be a whole, not separate parts.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 11:19pm

Post #24 of 44 (292 views)
Shortcut
I do love them all [In reply to] Can't Post

However, from worst to best I would rank them:

4. ROTK
3. TTT
2. AUJ
1. FOTR

I think I appreciate the acting more in AUJ than in much of LOTR, where it I found it patchy (the two Sir Ians, of course, have been excellent throughout the films they have appeared in).

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 30 2013, 11:38pm

Post #25 of 44 (273 views)
Shortcut
I also endorse! [In reply to] Can't Post

4. AUJ - memorable parts: Erebor/Dale flashback; two minutes with Goblin King; the Eagles in flight.
3. TTT - memorable parts: initial meeting between the Rohirrim and the Fellowship; Eowyn; Gandalf releasing King Theoden; death of Theodred; build up to Helm's Deep battle; music;
2. ROTK memorable parts: battle for Osgiliath; Charge of Faramir; Shelob's Lair; charge of the Rohirrim; Eowyn vs. the Witchking; Frodo succumbing to ring in Mount Doom;
1. FOTR - memorable parts: the Shire!!; the Black Riders!; Bree!; Weathertop; Flight to the Ford!; Saruman; Gandalf's escape from Orthanc; Moria; Balin's Tomb; the Balrog!; Lothlorien and Galadriel; the Argonath; death of Boromir.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.