Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Halloween reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tintallė
Gondor

Oct 30 2013, 5:31pm

Post #26 of 41 (93 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, Lockheart is delightful [In reply to] Can't Post

and I could not have asked for better than Kenneth Branagh's portrayal on the screen. I thought he was rather brilliant.

I rarely buy books but I bought the Potter series because they are so perfect for re-reads, whether in bits or in their entirety. Enjoy!

Tintallė
Gondor

Oct 30 2013, 6:01pm

Post #27 of 41 (95 views)
Shortcut
Finished up my Tana French series with "Broken Harbor" [In reply to] Can't Post

which I liked very much, but not as much as the previous Faithful Place. I am most definitely a Tana French fan through and through, which is rather remarkable considering I generally haven't chosen to read any murder mysteries since I finished Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock tales and Agatha Christie's various series so long ago.

On a friend's recommendation (and loan of the book) I have just started The Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth. I have a definite love-hate relationship with the books she gives me and I am not yet sure where this one will fall. So far it's okay, although the plethora of commas (I can't use that word without flashbacks to The Three Amigos!) and the occasional incomplete sentence is interfering with my ability to let go and enjoy the unfolding story.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 6:37pm

Post #28 of 41 (87 views)
Shortcut
I'm not familiar with this series... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so can't offer any insight about further books in it. But, speaking of the publishing industry as a whole, many times authors are ready, willing, and eager to continue a series but the publisher says no, it hasn't made enough money, end of story. I hope this hasn't happened this time around!

Then there are the time the author has said all s/he has to say on the subject---look at Conan Doyle, sending poor Sherlock over the Reichenbach Falls! He may have brought him back, thanks to popular (and publishers' demands) but his heart never quite seemed to be in those later stories.

Whatever, I hope there are more books about the Herons to come Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 6:38pm

Post #29 of 41 (86 views)
Shortcut
That's the mark of a good author [In reply to] Can't Post

One who will lure you out of your reading comfort zone! Although (speaking of your second book) since my comfort zone is solidly within grammatical structure, I feel your doubt Tongue

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 6:56pm

Post #30 of 41 (86 views)
Shortcut
I am listening to the audiobook of Death of a Cozy Writer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gotten very far, but so far of course it is about an author of stories like the Miss Marple or Hercule stories. Except that this writer is a mean old man. Since obviously he's the one that gets killed, I'll be curious to see who done it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 7:02pm

Post #31 of 41 (82 views)
Shortcut
Who's the author, Patty? [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds familiar and I'm wondering if I've read it.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 7:17pm

Post #32 of 41 (81 views)
Shortcut
G.M. Malliet.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never heard of him or her before, but the premise of the story sounded interesting so I bought it. Since I purchase most of my audiobooks to listen to as I go to sleep, I usually want something that's not too horrific or so detailed that I'll be sorry I missed the detail. I had to go back and listen to if walls could talk about 25 times in order to get it all. I was always falling asleep. Laugh

Permanent address: Into the West

Kim
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 8:02pm

Post #33 of 41 (76 views)
Shortcut
yeah, I'm having the same reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like any of the characters, it's like she's trying to make them all as unpleasant as possible (and seems to going overboard on the swearing). Whenever a book starts to feel like a chore to finish, that's usually my cue to stop.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the second book. Looks like the customer reviews are a little more positive.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 8:04pm

Post #34 of 41 (73 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it is depressing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like she's going out of her way to make it as depressing as possible. I love the Harry Potter books, and it looks like that detective novel got more positive customer reviews, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 10:07pm

Post #35 of 41 (69 views)
Shortcut
Me too. I re-read it every now and then. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was suggested to me by a kind teacher in 7th grade who thought I might like it after I did a book report on LotR.

Wrinkle in Time gave me a life-long interest in tesseracts, which aren't actually much like what she describes them to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 10:09pm

Post #36 of 41 (74 views)
Shortcut
I read the free sample and decided not to get it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like any of the characters, and I found it tedious. I figured there are plenty of books out there I might actually enjoy reading, so why waste my time on ones I don't?

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kim
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 11:15pm

Post #37 of 41 (69 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't think I'll spend any more time on it. I'll go find something new, or as I mentioned on the Pollantir, I have plenty of books I like to re-read Smile

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 11:56am

Post #38 of 41 (57 views)
Shortcut
Just read the very first Ranger's Apprentice book [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNEW there was a book I was forgetting in my post...

Anyway, I'll definitely be reading more of those - and have given the first one to my daughters to read. After all, I bought it for them *wink wink*.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 4:38pm

Post #39 of 41 (51 views)
Shortcut
He probably will, I'm guessing. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can stay updated by checking the Australian publisher's website (I have links, if you like). It also posts the updates from the Ranger's Apprentice Facebook page, and you can always find the most recent news about his books there.

So, yeah, you have Nihon-Ja, Lost Stories, and Royal Ranger left! But don't feel too sad. Seeing as how John Flanagan said Nihon-Ja would be his last Ranger book and he's proceeded to write two more, I'd hold out hope that he'll do more with the Brotherband. If anything else, I want to see Stig make the Maktig, because that would be awesome. Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 8:10pm

Post #40 of 41 (40 views)
Shortcut
If Erak hears about Araluen's Special Task Group, [In reply to] Can't Post

he'll probably want one for Skandia. Who better than the Herons?

Stig the Maktig! I should've thought of that. He has the right coach.

I wonder if Flanagan is thinking about a Rangers/Brotherband crossover. I have mixed feelings about that idea. I want to see more of both, but in crossovers, all too often the cast gets so big that many of the characters get left in the background. Or one group could have a cameo in the other's story, although that would probably just leave me wanting more. Well, I think I'll just trust him to write what he wants; he hasn't disappointed me yet.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Psalm 27:2

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 12:00am

Post #41 of 41 (37 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, a crossover would be nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the Temujai return to Skandia and the Rangers (+ Horace) and the Herons combine to fight them off? Bonus points if we can somehow throw Selethen into the mix. Can't help it. I like the guy. Wink Not as much as I like Horace or Gilan, but I still like him.

I also gained a lot of appreciation for Svengal during Brotherband, what with all his comments about his aunties and their sayings. Laugh Erak's over-protectiveness of his boat - excuse me, ship - also cracked me up every time.

You're right - all of Flanagan's characters in his books are so good, he could write about anyone and anywhere in his world and I would still read it and love it.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.