Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
lets have that discussion - post hobbit movies

book Gandalf
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 4:48pm

Post #1 of 7 (232 views)
Shortcut
lets have that discussion - post hobbit movies Can't Post

It would be naive to think that whatever film studio who owns the rights to lord of the rings would not want to capitalise on the overwhelming money making success that is the tolkien film franchise.

the hobbit could make $3 billion in ticket sales alone!

now assuming silmarillion will never come into the picture film wise for a very long time due to the tolkien estate not willing to sell the rights, and the same with the children of hurin, but what do we have left to go on? and what do you want to see happen?

now after skimming th eappendixes i think a decent film could be numenor andits downfall, there is enough info to go on and it has a good story arc, and has sauron in it!! other possibilities are the wars of the north (not a fan) or maybe even a rohan film?

this could all get a little silly and scraping the barrel of course, but if it was gonna happen, what, as a fan would you prefer to happen?

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 29 2013, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 7 (138 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Gimli Go to White Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

Desperately Seeking Steelsheen

Aragorn With The Wind

Transformers: Dark Side of the Argonath

When Aragorn Met Arwen (Just imgine the restaurant scene)

Pukel-Men: The First Class

Love With the Proper Ranger

Archie and Jughead at Rivendell High School

And of course:

Hobbit Babies!

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 5:39pm

Post #3 of 7 (122 views)
Shortcut
Numenor's fall would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

and good point that it would be even better with Sauron in it, and a speaking role to boot.

How about the Fall of Arnor/Arvedui? There's a lots of drama there, with him making a claim to the Gondor throne, his last stand against Angmar, Earnur arriving too late but challenging the Witch-King (leading to his later death at Minus Morgul), and Arvedui's death in Forochel, which I found poignant since the snowmen told him not to go--prophecy there along with the prophecy at Arvedui's birth about he'd be the last king unless the Dunedain made the right choice.

Or: the Making of the Rings along with Khazad-Dum in its glory days? You could throw in some Galadriel + Celeborn story, and get a look at the Noldorin Ring-smiths at work, the Dwarves, and Lorien. The movie could expand on the rings of power--Gandalf mentions the early ones were weaker but did little tricks like make you invisible, so there's the build up to the Three and then of course the One, leading to Sauron's great betrayal and destruction of Hollin.

Nice subject to contemplate!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 12:52am

Post #4 of 7 (86 views)
Shortcut
Since other Tolkien works are off the table (at least for the foreseeable future)... [In reply to] Can't Post

All that remains is remakes or new films derived from the LotR Appendices. I'm not sure if the available material on Numenor is sufficient for a feature film; it might be better to hold out for the filmrights to The Silmarillion. A film (or films) about the early adventures of Aragorn, from his birth to his reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien, seems like a strong candidate.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Oct 30 2013, 2:52am

Post #5 of 7 (75 views)
Shortcut
Numenor's Fall sound nice in theory.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that might easily degrade into awfulness as the film studio tries to milk that cash cow for all it's worth, not even noticing that it dried up a while ago Crazy

Just a steward's son
Strong in some ways weak in one
Redeemed in the end.
On another note, wonder what obscure holiday it is today? No? Of course you do! That is why I have created This nifty little calender" to tell you! Enjoy. I take suggestions if I missed your favorite holiday.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 9:34am

Post #6 of 7 (70 views)
Shortcut
I've got a few I'd like to see! [In reply to] Can't Post

How the Shire was settled

Aragorn and Arwen's story

Gimli and Legolas leading the repair of Minas Tirith, Ithilien and the Glittering Caves, then leaving for the Undying Lands in the boat they build.

Adventures of Merry, Pippin and Sam leading their respective settlements.

Sam and Rosie's life at Bag End with kids everywhere... like there couldn't be a few stories there!

The story of the Dwarves in Moria and Erebor/Dale before the Dragon.

There's so much to do in the Appendices!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 1:18am

Post #7 of 7 (46 views)
Shortcut
Haw! Mods up! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.