Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
170 minutes running time?

boldog
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:51am

Post #1 of 18 (1133 views)
Shortcut
170 minutes running time? Can't Post

I just typed it on google "desolation of smaug running time" and 170 minutes came up. well that is not too bad, considering it was 156 minutes earlier. that's just 10 minutes less than 3 hrs, which is a good middle earth film. hopefully taba, will take forever like rotk! Wink

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:58am

Post #2 of 18 (618 views)
Shortcut
I really hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the case! That would mean it is longer than AUJ! Even if it is by a minute....but there is always the EE too! Tongue I've also wanted to ask this: how much longer do you think the EE will be? Will it be more than AUJ? I can't help but feel they don't have that much footage for extended scenes left over anymore. Frown Also, before Lindele comments, I want to say that I am very appreciative of the fact that we are getting three films instead of two. Angelic

I simply walked into Mordor.

(This post was edited by Thranderz on Oct 29 2013, 9:01am)

boldog
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 9:09am

Post #3 of 18 (551 views)
Shortcut
its funny.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...i keep thinking that the movie has to be heaps long, with the amount of stuff that is gonna get crammed into it! when i first heard it was 156 minutes i was utterly shockedShocked. this is a bit of a relief, but still i expected longer.....

Olorin2607
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 9:26am

Post #4 of 18 (525 views)
Shortcut
Source? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats your source for that running time? I dont think it's legit as PJ or one of his team once said DOS would be slightly shorter than AUJ. So I believe it will be those 156 minutes.
Which will hopefully lead to a better paced film than AUJ which really was awfully slow at the beginning.

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 9:30am

Post #5 of 18 (543 views)
Shortcut
PJ could also have done 6 films... [In reply to] Can't Post

with 90 minutes! which is standard running time of a movie...

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 9:49am

Post #6 of 18 (492 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I love entering middle earth but AUJ is simply too long. I hope approx. 135 minutes for DoS. Fans will get the icing with the EEs but the theatre edition should be the best movie it can be.

Boromir: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 9:49am

Post #7 of 18 (481 views)
Shortcut
Is the running time even set yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ wasn't finished until days before the premiere.

The aforementioned 156 minutes seems a bit short for a PJ movie set in Middle Earth, but could it be some kind of rough cut? Maybe some more scenes, that aren't finished yet, will be added in at a later stage?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 10:21am

Post #8 of 18 (464 views)
Shortcut
Sounds closer to right but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if anyone really knows yet. 170 -190 is my guess though.

boldog
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 10:31am

Post #9 of 18 (459 views)
Shortcut
i just typed it in [In reply to] Can't Post

and it came up not as a link, but as like a headline thing. lol I don't know what its called, but to me it looks like it has been established, because I have seen this before about stuff. its the first thing that comes up if that helps. plus im from Australia, so I don't know if you other nationalities will have the same sort of thing...

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 11:06am

Post #10 of 18 (404 views)
Shortcut
Can you post a screen shot?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 11:11am

Post #11 of 18 (435 views)
Shortcut
Was it this link? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.moviestack.com/...utes-ie-plot-rundown

It shows up for me too as one of the first findings on goole with 170 in the headline... that would be nothing close to official though. All official signs point to a running time closer to 160 minutes or a bit less.

A similar thread can be found on the imdb boards. But that is without any source as well, just pure speculation.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 29 2013, 11:12am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 12:38pm

Post #12 of 18 (364 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Thranderz [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ seemed too short and I could easily have absorbed a further 30 minutes or so. I didn't get bored once during the film, and my attention didn't stray. DoS will apparently have even more events than did AUJ, so a longer film running time would be excellent as far as I'm concerned.

In Reply To
that is the case! That would mean it is longer than AUJ! Even if it is by a minute....but there is always the EE too! Tongue I've also wanted to ask this: how much longer do you think the EE will be? Will it be more than AUJ? I can't help but feel they don't have that much footage for extended scenes left over anymore. Frown Also, before Lindele comments, I want to say that I am very appreciative of the fact that we are getting three films instead of two. Angelic

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 2:03pm

Post #13 of 18 (304 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Just google "desolation of smaug running time". That's it, and the header for the results page should say "170 minutes".

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

DjU
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 2:47pm

Post #14 of 18 (305 views)
Shortcut
It's NOT the running time [In reply to] Can't Post

If you google "there and back again running time" you also get 170 minutes. Its merely a place holder until they get confirmation.

As aside if you google "an unexpected journey running time" you get 182 minutes, which strictly isn't true as thats just the EE version, the original was 169.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:44pm

Post #15 of 18 (160 views)
Shortcut
If it's true then, yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's just keep in mind that it may change again before the premier.

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:56pm

Post #16 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? "My guess" says everything [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't worth opening a thread for this.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 3:11am

Post #17 of 18 (82 views)
Shortcut
Considering all they are going to try to put in, it needs to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 3:02pm

Post #18 of 18 (50 views)
Shortcut
The reports coming in suggest a running time of 156 to 160 minutes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any longer than the above seems unlikely at this point.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.