Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Concerning the impending reviews...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 12:16am

Post #1 of 38 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Concerning the impending reviews... Can't Post

I have a good feeling about this one. Does anyone else think The Desecration of Smaug will be received far better by critics than An Unexpected Journey? I'm thinking low to mid 80's on rotten tomatoes as apposed to the less than stellar 65% they gave Journey.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Oct 29 2013, 12:16am)

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 12:26am

Post #2 of 38 (722 views)
Shortcut
Critics tend to love the desecration of things and hate untimely travels.// [In reply to] Can't Post

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 12:29am

Post #3 of 38 (711 views)
Shortcut
lol touche [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 12:39am

Post #4 of 38 (720 views)
Shortcut
I think it will be liked better [In reply to] Can't Post

By critics and a greater % of fans alike.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 1:04am

Post #5 of 38 (667 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ was enjoyable and I liked it very much so. It was also a movie that concentrated on the back story a bit and the whole development of the dwarves and setting up the whole Dol Guldor aspect. Even in the book, the story really starts moving as soon as they hit Mirkwood. I expect for it to be very well liked.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 1:09am

Post #6 of 38 (630 views)
Shortcut
Bingo [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you. Spot on my friend.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 1:26am

Post #7 of 38 (663 views)
Shortcut
I think you'll find [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of critics will be upset at the shorter running time.

TP.

OrphanOfNumenor
Bree

Oct 29 2013, 1:46am

Post #8 of 38 (639 views)
Shortcut
The less than stellar reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

that AUJ had will factor into how DOS is initially received. Critics will go into the movie with more skepticism and harsher standards. However, the darker theme and faster pace should help. I predict low 80's, with most reviews stating something along the lines of "better than its predecessor", or "a return to form for Jackson and Co." Can't wait!!!

StarGodziller
Bree

Oct 29 2013, 1:49am

Post #9 of 38 (611 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think critics will definitely respond better to DESOLATION OF SMAUG than they did to UNEXPECTED JOURNEY just as I am confident it will be a better movie. I have a feeling the Rotten Tomatoes score will definitely top AUJ's, probably in the 70s or 80s. I'm pretty excited for the reviews to hit. When was the press embargo lifted last year?

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 1:51am

Post #10 of 38 (596 views)
Shortcut
I believe late november.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 2:16am

Post #11 of 38 (578 views)
Shortcut
But on the plus side [In reply to] Can't Post

critics tend to prefer sequels.

TP.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 2:26am

Post #12 of 38 (583 views)
Shortcut
Even if it gets mixed critical reviews... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I doubt that will affect its numbers too much. I remember a few weeks into AUJ's run, some people were predicting disaster and declaring it a flop because of the mixed critical response and because its second and third week numbers slipped, but even with all that AUJ remained pretty steady and in the end grossed over a billion $. Would it have done even better had the critical response been generally more positive? Probably, but it still ended up a pretty big success.

As others have pointed out, the fact that the locations will be all new ones will likely be of great help. Everything in AUJ felt very "samey" - because it was. We'd already been to The Shire, Trollshaws, Weathertop, and Rivendell, and Goblin-town certainly felt very Moria-like (only much, much sillier). This time, we'll be in Mirkwood, Lake-town, Dale, Erebor, and Dol Guldur, which should all be unlike anything we've seen thus far.

I'm fully expecting more Wile E. Coyote action scenes as well as more rewrites/revisions, which were my two biggest gripes about AUJ. To what extent, we'll see, but I've lowered my expectations a bit concerning those things. I am, however, quite impressed with what we've seen and heard of Thranduil and Smaug thus far, and I'm also looking forward to Bard, Beorn, and Bolg.

Anyway, I agree that DoS will likely do very well, and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't do better than AUJ.

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 2:52am

Post #13 of 38 (564 views)
Shortcut
I find it interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that there is so little mention of the filming speed and filming method on this one as it seemed to be the focus on the first one and was the basis of a lot of the criticism.

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 3:33am

Post #14 of 38 (531 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a huge US bias in reported box numbers and predications with opening weekends and the like; but when 3/4ths of the income (from AUJ) is from outside the US, and there are staggered opening dates (here is is not until Dec 26), then early days and opening weekend numbers don't mean much. Again Rotten Tomatoes is heavily biased to US critics so what they theink when the market is not mainly the US, also does not mean a lot.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:43am

Post #15 of 38 (428 views)
Shortcut
I honestly don't care what critics think... [In reply to] Can't Post

but understand that the movie business loves the "experts" opinion for a stamp of approval.

The vibe for this is darker and more intense (not shocking to me at all) and thus will probably be more accepted by the fanboys.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 6:53am

Post #16 of 38 (401 views)
Shortcut
Yip [In reply to] Can't Post

Lower expectations = better reviews

starlesswinter
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 6:56am

Post #17 of 38 (408 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The sense of the "new" is what will ultimately be the draw to this film, I suspect. The filmmakers seemed to rely on nostalgia for the first film, perhaps because they had little choice due to so much of the story being a retread of what we'd seen in LOTR, but this film needs to pack a punch with its new characters, new creatures, new locations, etc. I know that's what excites me, at least. The best part of AUJ was the prologue, in which everything was brand new designs. I could feel the passion in that section when it was missing in other parts of the film.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 7:24am

Post #18 of 38 (397 views)
Shortcut
I think they did have a choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Frodo additions, Azog at Weathertop, Gandalf foreshadowing Bilbo sparing Gollum, Saruman already seeming like a nasty piece of work, the ring clanging to the floor like some apocalyptic event and then landing on Bilbo's finger in exactly the same manner it did on Frodo's... all unnecessary additions/amendments by the filmmakers.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 7:30am

Post #19 of 38 (390 views)
Shortcut
That's not what I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, some of those additions are unnecessary and rely too much on LOTR connections, but I'm talking more from a marketing standpoint. The draw for the first film was very much "Remember LOTR? Let's go back to that world." In reality, there are ways the filmmakers could have gotten around that, but so much of the film was already showing us what we had already known and seen in the trilogy that the filmmakers just seemed to go along with it. In a recent interview about the music, PJ seemed excited that almost all the music for DOS will be new, so that gives me the impression that they're more interested in taking new paths this time around.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 7:34am

Post #20 of 38 (379 views)
Shortcut
Apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

I misunderstood. Smile

I agree.

moreorless
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:11am

Post #21 of 38 (378 views)
Shortcut
FPS and expectations issues resolved? [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it seemed like a lot of the negativity around AUJ came down to the high FPS issue and widely different expectations of the film.

With the latter I'm talking less expectations of quality(although this was always going to be a problem post LOTR) and more expectations of the kind of film it was going to be. It seemed to be that many non Tolkien reading critics were expecting something more of less the same as LOTR while many of those who had read the book were expecting something much more different. Personally I think Jackson took the right route looking for the middle ground between these two but it ment that neither of these extreme viewpoints(and critics viewpoints do tend to take thinsg to the extreme) was entirely satisfied with it.

While I'm guessing DOS will still be released in a high FPS version I think we've gotten past the "protest review" stage for that tech.

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:27am

Post #22 of 38 (355 views)
Shortcut
I'll be optimistic and predict a high 80's to low 90's score [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:56am

Post #23 of 38 (333 views)
Shortcut
Do you [In reply to] Can't Post

mean unnecessary or just completely inadequate? Because you're saying unnecessary, do you mean they could be used as extended material? I just want to know what you meant because it's an interesting comment. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 9:40am

Post #24 of 38 (328 views)
Shortcut
Yup truth is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

The 48fps was adressed in every single review I read for AUJ. And it gained alot of criticism which I think DoS will be spared of.

My guess is it will get mixed reviews, but alot better than AUJ, rotten tomatoes perhaps 75% but no more than 80%. TABA will defenitely score 85% if PJ keeps up his good work.

I was really surprised AUJ only got 65% when the animated movie has an even higher score Crazy

Boromir: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 10:34am

Post #25 of 38 (318 views)
Shortcut
AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Had went in a kind of negative spirale me thinks.

Yes, some of the criticism was legit, I do not dispute that. But I was sometimes surprised reading through the reviews that the end verdict was rotten.

This was often only explainable to me, especially compared to other movies, that this was highly influenced by insane expectations. HFR added a lot of negative buzz as well

So logic tells me if DoS is a little more carefully edited and harder decisions regarding EE material are made, plus darker story and new landscapes and characters come to the forefront, this should all contribute to higher scores.

However, a part of me says that HFR, the general look of the movie and ESPECIALLY the three movie split might again harm reviews greatly. Some critics imho are decided that this was a mistake the movies will suffer from until the end... I guess especially the breaking point between DoS and TABA will have a major influence.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.