Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EE ripoff?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tommybhoy
The Shire

Oct 29 2013, 12:08am

Post #1 of 53 (1704 views)
Shortcut
EE ripoff? Can't Post

That's how i feel after watching it. A few gems are not worth reselling basically the same product twice. In LOTR EE there were actual scenes worth watching and rewatching on it's own while most of the Hobbit ones are just 10-20-30 second fill ins. 13 minutes? It's more about 5 if you are counting cohesive scenes and not fill ins or extra sentence or two added in already seen scenes. Really disappointed. Did not feel like i was watching EE at all, rather the same version i watch in cinema with couple bits i forgot after my initial watch.

deskp
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 12:20am

Post #2 of 53 (912 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

not a ripoff at all. You do get 13 more minutes after all.

on top of that it contains lots of bonus content and a precious commentary track.

demnation
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 12:25am

Post #3 of 53 (882 views)
Shortcut
I would agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they were charging what they did for the LOTR EE's (60-80 bucks) But $20 for the regular DVD and about $30 for the Blu-ray seems more than reasonable for what we are getting.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Avnar
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 12:40am

Post #4 of 53 (823 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the extra scenes are utter garbage!

Oh well.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 12:40am

Post #5 of 53 (836 views)
Shortcut
Totally disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of great additions IMO and an even better movie.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Oct 29 2013, 12:41am)

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 12:44am

Post #6 of 53 (804 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

The new scenes completely change the feel of the whole film. A huge improvement! Then there are the Appendices which are fantastic and the commentary which I just finished. That commentary is seriously amazing. Jackson is so open about criticism - he even apologizes for the modern day culture references and the gross scenes.

I simply walked into Mordor.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 29 2013, 12:47am

Post #7 of 53 (756 views)
Shortcut
Holding out for the Blu-ray... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've managed to avoid all spoilers thus far (except for the Bilbo/Elrond scene from months ago). So I hope it's worth getting. If the 13 extra minutes is quality stuff, then I'm fine with the length, especially considering the lower price tag mentioned by demnation. Mostly concerned with the extended/added scenes, the extras are just bonus.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 29 2013, 12:47am)

daemoon
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 12:53am

Post #8 of 53 (730 views)
Shortcut
Maybe but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just buying for the appendices to be honest.

chrism628
Bree

Oct 29 2013, 1:35am

Post #9 of 53 (759 views)
Shortcut
Worst part [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of all the EE scenes was the goblin town sequence and the horrible music and goblin town song that really is embarrassing to watch. Every other EE scene worked out nice, especially the Rivendell scenes.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 1:55am

Post #10 of 53 (687 views)
Shortcut
It's not a ripoff because fans asked for it [In reply to] Can't Post

That said, it's superfluous in every way. Some of the new scenes would work well as "deleted scenes" as is the case with any standard DVD. But there's nothing here to merit an "extended edition". The only difference in feel happens in Rivendell, and even that is choppily edited (Azog's scene comes across as even more useless and artificially inserted than in the theatrical version).

Other than that, it gets pretty dire. Galadriel stares at Gandalf for one more second now! Digital dwarves spank each other naked. Thranduil stares at jewels. Goblin King was pretty funky this time around, though, that I will admit.

(This post was edited by HiddenSpring on Oct 29 2013, 1:59am)

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 29 2013, 1:58am

Post #11 of 53 (708 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought it was rather good [In reply to] Can't Post

Campy, in the most fun sense of the word. Goblin vaudeville -- what's not to like? Wink

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 2:04am

Post #12 of 53 (678 views)
Shortcut
Appendices are worth the price alone [In reply to] Can't Post

at least I think so. The added 13 minutes are just a bonus. Smile

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 29 2013, 2:18am

Post #13 of 53 (680 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

That you don't appreciate the appendices but I personally find it offensive to suggest that what PJ and WB have given us is a ripoff. The appendices in LOTR are easily worth half of a college degree, and I would have paid a much higher price for the Hobbit appendices.
Not to mention, the fans have begged for an extended cut, begged. If they don't have any more footage then they don't have footage. THEY ARE GIVING US THREE FILMS INSTEAD OF TWO!!!!!!! What more do you want? So unappreciative!

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 2:40am

Post #14 of 53 (625 views)
Shortcut
what do I want? 5 films, love being in ME with this cast!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And PJ sitting around editing TABA deciding "You know what? We need another 10 weeks of pickups!!!" Plus a super-deluxe extended collector version in a handsome carved wooden box with a WETA figure of Thorin.

Re the EE version with this leak and that already know what I'm buying re the film, so I'm happy to have even a little bit more - can't understand why the Bilbo/Thorin overhearing scene was ever cut. The only thing bothering me are PARTS of the goblin sequence, reminded me too much of the Star Wars bar scene w. the musicians. Feel more like I've been "getting by" waiting for the EE version with the theater version BR.

Also, don't remember anything "gross" in these films???? Not sure what PJ would apologize for - bird doings? The boils and whatnot on the Goblin King? To me gross would have been the Goblin King actually using the chamber pot under his throne, mercifully THAT didn't happen.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 3:06am

Post #15 of 53 (619 views)
Shortcut
Well, three films don't thrill me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two was more than plenty.

But I love the appendices to the EEs. The behind-the-scenes craftmanship is almost more interesting than the movies.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 29 2013, 3:16am

Post #16 of 53 (593 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd pay full price for a Blu-ray release of the Appendices all by themselves. So the fact that we get an extended cut (which does, imo, improve the film) is just gravy.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Bishop
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 3:24am

Post #17 of 53 (623 views)
Shortcut
Wait [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The new scenes completely change the feel of the whole film. A huge improvement! Then there are the Appendices which are fantastic and the commentary which I just finished. That commentary is seriously amazing. Jackson is so open about criticism - he even apologizes for the modern day culture references and the gross scenes.

Why is he apologizing for modern day culture and gross scenes? Does he realize it was a mistake or was his apology tongue in cheek?

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 6:00am

Post #18 of 53 (542 views)
Shortcut
Goblin-town [In reply to] Can't Post

The Great Goblin's song is my favorite of new/extended scenes. The music isn't spectacular but I had really wanted this song to be in the movie or for someone to use the phrase "Down, down to Goblin-town." It's such an iconic part of the book for me.

Most of the other extended scenes seem superfluous. We don't really need to see young Bilbo or Belladonna. I could have done without naked dwarves (especially in bad CGI). Bofur's song is funny but unnecessary. The Thranduil scene is just puzzling. The narration sounds like it's referring to the Necklace of the Dwarves from The Silmarillion but the scene implies that the treasure in question is that box of jewels. I guess that's their way of obscurely referencing a story they don't have the rights to?

The moment between Bilbo and Elrond is good. Very sweet and it sets up their friendship. So that and Goblin-town are a win for me. The others I can take or leave. Overall, I wouldn't call the EE a ripoff. But it has more of the same unnecessary additions to flesh out the trilogy.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Oct 29 2013, 6:03am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:38am

Post #19 of 53 (484 views)
Shortcut
Of course you don't have to like what is in those added minutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Extended Edition.

But to say that the Extended Edition is a ripoff is pretty unfair in my opinion.

It's not just about the added footage but the massive behind the scenes in the Appendices.

That bonus content more than justifies the price of the EEs. Serious time, effort and energy went into documenting the movie making process specifically for the fans who love the Extended Editions.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:39am

Post #20 of 53 (527 views)
Shortcut
I found the scenes in Rivendell to be quite enjoyable... [In reply to] Can't Post

(particularly the expanded White Council scenes) and my daughter loved the singing from Bofur and the Goblin King.

One person's garbage is another's treasure.

Oh well, indeed.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:41am

Post #21 of 53 (495 views)
Shortcut
My little girl loved those scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

so perhaps they weren't intended for you.

Smile

Welsh hero
Gondor

Oct 29 2013, 8:21am

Post #22 of 53 (422 views)
Shortcut
Nobody is forcing you to get EE [In reply to] Can't Post

You choose whether or not to get it.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

tommybhoy
The Shire

Oct 29 2013, 8:34am

Post #23 of 53 (440 views)
Shortcut
so [In reply to] Can't Post

All of you get PJ off the hook for 13 (more like 5) minutes of extended scenes only because there are appendices 7 & 8? People this should be extended edition of theatrical movie version. Every LOTR feels so different in EE. Guess why? There is 30 minutes of deleted SCENES not fill or add ins. I don't see a reason for appendices 7 & 8 not to be on theatrical blue ray and PJ giving us those 5 minutes extra beside them. This is the same movie like it or not. Unless you are emotionally attached to 4 seconds more of Thranduil and 21 seconds of Bilbo eavesdropping on Gandalf and Elrond.

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 8:50am

Post #24 of 53 (402 views)
Shortcut
you don't have to buy it! everyone knows that it's only 13 minutes. [In reply to] Can't Post

you can buy the theatrical cut for 5 euros instead..

looking forward to the extended cut and the bonus material!

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 29 2013, 8:53am

Post #25 of 53 (411 views)
Shortcut
How is 13 minutes more like 5 minutes? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 13 minutes! Or 12.something to be more precise!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.