Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All *Spoilers* regarding Desolation Of Smaug and TABA from Hobbit commentary

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 28 2013, 5:43pm

Views: 3242
Shortcut
All *Spoilers* regarding Desolation Of Smaug and TABA from Hobbit commentary Can't Post

I finished watching the Extended EE commentary with PJ and Phillippa and I collected together all the bits of information regarding the next two movies. Warning spoilers to follow...

The gems shown to Thranduil will feature more in the 2nd and 3rd films.

We will find out why Gandalf has a different staff in FOTR at the end of the second/start of the third Hobbit film. Indicating Dol Guldur's placement in the story. (Already discussing that here... http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum.cgi?post=657618

The claw Frodo picks up in Bag End is supposed to be one of Smaug's claws. Though it was shot before they knew how big Smaug would be. PJ suspects it will look a little small compared to Smaug's actual claws.

The Sackville-Baggins' (Lobelia and Otho will feature later on in the trilogy. (Obviously the auction scene)

PJ and Co tried hard to explain the reasons why the Dwarves need a burglar in the Desolation Of Smaug.

Battle Of Moria flashback was originally going to happen in Beorn's house.

As the filming went on PJ started using less prosthetic orcs and more CG orcs. And he is happy about it. He thinks the orcs coming in the next two films will be very scary and formidable when compared to those in the original trilogy.

Spiders that attacked Radagast same as those in DOS.

How Gandalf gets the map and the key is changed from the book.

As the films go on they get darker. Very little comedy by the third.

The dagger found by Radagast is the same one that stabs Frodo on Weathertop and it will come in to play a lot more. It will "return to the darker powers later on in the trilogy"

Philippa mentions the Battle Of Dol Guldur by name. So it certainly will happen...

Something about the "who did you tell about your quest" line plays into the beginning of film 2. Also Personal and geopolitical reasoning for Azog seeking Thorin. (I think thats what they were getting at. Difficult to understand exactly what is in reference to what.)

The reason Kili is the only archer in the group is because he has a "certain affinity with another archer" (hmmm I wonder who.... Wink)

We will see Saruman again in the Hobbit movies.

Thrain's ring will come into play later on in the Desolation Of Smaug.

Galadriel will fulfil her promise to Gandalf that "if ever he should need her help. She will come".

The Thrush will return.

Subject User Time
All *Spoilers* regarding Desolation Of Smaug and TABA from Hobbit commentary Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 5:43pm
    Impressive! Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Oct 28 2013, 6:09pm
    Oh this is so exciting! Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Oct 28 2013, 6:27pm
    The "who did you tell about your quest" line Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Oct 28 2013, 6:34pm
    Oh my *squeals* so many spoilers! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 28 2013, 6:43pm
    This really starts to become... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 28 2013, 6:45pm
        Prosthetic orcs! Weed Send a private message to Weed Oct 28 2013, 8:43pm
            Has nothing to do with a kick for me... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 28 2013, 8:50pm
                Problem Jerry Cornelius Send a private message to Jerry Cornelius Nov 1 2013, 6:04pm
        perhaps not that way round DjU Send a private message to DjU Oct 28 2013, 11:57pm
        Is your Apparently based on hard intel, inside information or hypothetical speculation AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 29 2013, 4:12am
            All speculation Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 29 2013, 10:25am
                Thanks AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 29 2013, 7:55pm
    What I'm wondering is Pazeer Send a private message to Pazeer Oct 28 2013, 8:51pm
        Well I'm pretty sure they just mean Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 9:06pm
            Oh Pazeer Send a private message to Pazeer Oct 28 2013, 9:25pm
            EE Spoiler Simon Send a private message to Simon Oct 28 2013, 10:04pm
        Me too redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Oct 29 2013, 2:24am
    Thanks for the skinny Metal Slug Send a private message to Metal Slug Oct 28 2013, 9:24pm
    Collecting the plots together Michelle Johnston Oct 28 2013, 10:29pm
        Yep my thoughts exactly Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 11:14pm
        If the evil army goe to erebor prior to Smaug's death Ffnir Send a private message to Ffnir Oct 29 2013, 12:06am
            Absolutely Michelle Johnston Oct 29 2013, 6:58am
    You missed Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Oct 29 2013, 12:33am
    Interesting redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Oct 29 2013, 2:18am
    Thank god re: Azog Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Oct 29 2013, 3:13am
    As soon Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Oct 29 2013, 8:51am
    Woah Bernhardina Send a private message to Bernhardina Oct 29 2013, 9:23am
    Thank the lord sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Oct 29 2013, 5:17pm
        I think that would mirror the books rather well, despite the expansions. I would hope for AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 29 2013, 7:39pm
    Squeeeeeeeeeeee! and a few comments Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Oct 29 2013, 6:06pm
        I think the gems are the reason we see an Elf army marching towards Erebor. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 29 2013, 8:02pm
            It does seem like a bit of a contradiction, even in the book. Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Oct 29 2013, 10:22pm
    So then (Thrain) chris10112 Send a private message to chris10112 Oct 29 2013, 7:37pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.