Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where's Arwen?

Weed
The Shire

Oct 28 2013, 1:00am

Post #1 of 17 (981 views)
Shortcut
Where's Arwen? Can't Post

Where's Arwen at the time of the Hobbit?

Wasn't she supposed to be at the tree parties that the elves were having?

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Oct 28 2013, 1:06am

Post #2 of 17 (602 views)
Shortcut
Lorien [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she was in Lorien at this time. I know they did not appear in LOTR, but I like to imagine the elves that arrive with Elrond on horseback without helmets on in an AUJ are his sons.

Faramir: I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weed
The Shire

Oct 28 2013, 1:09am

Post #3 of 17 (551 views)
Shortcut
Arwen. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be nice if she turned up in the tree parties.

A reminder of her part in the tale.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2013, 2:17am

Post #4 of 17 (464 views)
Shortcut
i'm glad they didn't put her in these films [In reply to] Can't Post

just because i think some of these LOTR's characters already feel a bit "forced" into this new trilogy, i want to see fresh characters like Thranduil...dwarves of the iron hills ect...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 28 2013, 2:20am)

elentari3018
Lorien

Oct 28 2013, 2:33am

Post #5 of 17 (421 views)
Shortcut
Definitely do not think it's a good idea to include her [In reply to] Can't Post

LIke what Mouth of Sauron said, it's better to have Thranduil have more of a role and to have the 13 dwarves. I already think an addition of Tauriel remains to be seen if "necessary". :p
Definitely do not need Arwen filling uneccessary time and she's not even in Mirkwood but in Lorien instead as someone mentioned.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Eldorion
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 2:42am

Post #6 of 17 (408 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather see as few LOTR characters as possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously there are some who played a role in both books, but I'm talking about characters who had nothing to do with The Hobbit being shoehorned in. TH is going to have a hard enough time standing on its own as it is. The surest way to make a prequel that feels utterly inconsequential is to make the story play second fiddle to cameos from fan-favorite characters from the earlier work (Exhibit A: Star Wars). I have reservations about Legolas showing up too, though at least it makes sense for him to be in Mirkwood at the time, so it's either him or an original character who's invented to flesh out the Silvan Elves (or both, as it seems to be with Tauriel).

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Weed
The Shire

Oct 28 2013, 3:38am

Post #7 of 17 (380 views)
Shortcut
Arwen of MIrkwood! [In reply to] Can't Post

But why not have her when they've thrown in this Taurial characer?

If she can unite the elves and men of the Pelennor FIelds?

Eldorion
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 4:00am

Post #8 of 17 (368 views)
Shortcut
When it comes to minor characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd rather they introduce an original character in a small role (like they did with LOTR) rather than take a Tolkienian character and rewrite their backstory. That said, I'm not thrilled with the direction they seem to be taking Tauriel, but I'm withholding judgement until I see DOS.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Pelennor, sorry.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Weed
The Shire

Oct 28 2013, 4:09am

Post #9 of 17 (370 views)
Shortcut
Arwen vs. Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure what you mean about the Pelennor, sorry. Well, Arwen turns up when Denethor and Co. have been slagging off the elves, and the viewers are going to be antsy about the King of Gondor being united with the elves. Arwen's delivery of a united front is politically suitable and a praise for Aragorn's choice of elves over Eowyn.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 28 2013, 9:27am

Post #10 of 17 (259 views)
Shortcut
No....., she was in Lothlorien [In reply to] Can't Post

.. she was living in Lothlorien at that time with her grandparents (and that's a long way south of Mirkwood).

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2013, 12:01pm

Post #11 of 17 (221 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad they didn't dress Arwen in these new Elven costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

Those dresses have names and personalities of their own, and mean a lot to me... Seeing her in the re-designed, not as pretty Elven costumes would feel like smudging a Raphael painting! Crazy

Sly

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 28 2013, 1:18pm

Post #12 of 17 (207 views)
Shortcut
LotR characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel like any of the LotR characters are being shoe-horned in. The 3 returning LotR characters who were not originally part of The Hobbit are Galadriel, Saruman, and Legolas - Galadriel and Saruman are both members of the White Council, and Legolas is the son of the Elvenking of Mirkwood, so I think they all have a legit reason for being present to some extent. If they throw Aragorn, Gimli, or Arwen into the mix, then I will feel like they are just shoe-horning characters in for nostalgia's sake, because those characters really have no reason to be present.

Anyway, one thing I felt was shoe-horned in was Weathertop.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 28 2013, 1:43pm

Post #13 of 17 (175 views)
Shortcut
Arwen has no connection to Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, Arwen turns up when Denethor and Co. have been slagging off the elves, and the viewers are going to be antsy about the King of Gondor being united with the elves. Arwen's delivery of a united front is politically suitable and a praise for Aragorn's choice of elves over Eowyn.

Arwen doesn't show up in Gondor until Aragorn's coronation (May 1) and that is only in the films. Tolkien has Elrond and Arwen just setting off from Rivendell on that date; they don't arrive in Gondor until the day of Midsummer's Eve. In any case, the viewers are well aware of Aragorn's relationship with Arwen by then so it should come as no surprise that they are to wed.

Now, for the other issue. At the time of The Hobbit, Arwen is in Lothlorien with Galadriel and Celeborn. She is not related to Thranduil of Mirkwood and, as far as I know, she never visited Mirkwood at any time.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 28 2013, 3:17pm

Post #14 of 17 (157 views)
Shortcut
would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would be nice if she turned up in the tree parties.

A reminder of her part in the tale.

but i do not see that happening.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 28 2013, 4:13pm

Post #15 of 17 (128 views)
Shortcut
*cough* Frodo Baggins *cough* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 28 2013, 9:07pm

Post #16 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgot about Frodo Crazy

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 28 2013, 9:16pm

Post #17 of 17 (85 views)
Shortcut
Arwen and Celeborn sitting in a tree... [In reply to] Can't Post

While granny does some dirty stuff.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.