Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - October 26

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 26 2013, 10:18am

Post #1 of 7 (118 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 26 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
(not from the appendices—CONTINUED after the Council of Elrond]
..."Later that day the hobbits held a meeting of their own in Bilbo's room. Merry and Pippin were indignant when they heard that Sam had crept into the Council, and he had been chosen as Frodo's companion.
...'It's most unfair,' said Pippin. 'Instead of throwing him out... ...Elrond goes and rewards him for his cheek!'
...'Rewards!' said Frodo. 'I can't imagine a more severe punishment. You are not thinking what you are saying: condemned to go on this hopeless journey, a reward? Yesterday I dreamed that my task was done, and I could rest here, a long while, perhaps for good.'
...'I don't wonder,' said Merry... ...But we are envying Sam, not you. If you have to go, then it will be a punishment for any of us to be left behind, even in Rivendell. We have come a long way with you and have been through some stiff times. We want to go on.'
...'That's what I meant, said Pippin. 'We hobbits ought to stick together... ...I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party.'
...'Then you certainly will not be chosen, Peregrin Took!' said Gandalf, looking in through the window, which was near the ground. 'But you are all worrying yourselves unnecessarily. Nothing is decided yet...'

...'...Well, anyway,' said Bilbo, 'nothing was decided beyond choosing poor Frodo and Sam. I was afraid all the time that it might come to that, if I was let off. But if you ask me, Elrond will send out a fair number, when the reports come in. Have they started yet, Gandalf?'
...'Yes,' said the wizard. 'Some of the scouts have been sent out already... ...We can't start until we have found out about the Riders.'
...'I thought they were all destroyed in the flood,' said Merry.
...'You cannot destroy Ringwraiths like that... ...The power of their master is in them, and they stand or fall by him. We hope that they were all unhorsed and unmasked, and so made... ...less dangerous; but we must find out for certain. In the meantime you should try and forget your troubles, Frodo. I do not know if I can do anything to help you; but I will whisper this in your ears. Someone said that intelligence would be needed in the party. He was right. I think I shall come with you.'
...So great was Frodo's delight at this announcement that Gandalf left the window-sill, where he had been sitting, and took off his hat and bowed. 'I only said I think I shall come. Do not count on anything yet. In this matter Elrond will have much to say, and your friend the Strider.'"

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 27 2013, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 7 (93 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 27, 2949 (S.R. 1349)
1. Bilbo has some unexpected guests.
(not from the appendices—determined from text & referencing tuckborough.net]
...[Eight years after the Quest] "One autumn evening … Bilbo was sitting in his study writing his memoirs—he thought of calling them "There and Back Again, a Hobbit's Holiday"—when there was a ring at the door. It was Gandalf and a dwarf; and the dwarf was actually Balin.
..."Come in! Come in!" said Bilbo, and soon they were settled in chairs by the fire. If Balin noticed that Mr. Baggins' waistcoat was more extensive (and had real gold buttons), Bilbo also noticed that Balin's beard was several inches longer, and his jewelled belt was of great magnificence.
...They fell to talking of their times together... ...and Bilbo asked how things were going in the lands of the Mountain. It seemed they were going very well. Bard had rebuilt the town in Dale and men had gathered to him from the Lake and from South and West, and all the valley had become tilled again and rich, and the desolation was now filled with birds and blossoms in spring and fruit and feasting in autumn. And Lake-town was refounded and was more prosperous than ever, and much wealth went up and down the Running River; and there was friendship in those parts between elves and dwarves and men.
...The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions.
..."The new Master is of wiser kind," said Balin, "and very popular... ...he gets most of the credit for the present prosperity. They are making songs which say that in his day the rivers run with gold."
..."Then the prophecies of the old songs have turned out to be true, after a fashion!" said Bilbo.
..."Of course!" said Gandalf. "And why should not they prove true? Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don't really suppose... ...that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!"
..."Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar."

October 27, 2010 and all is well.
...After years, months, weeks and days of peril and adjustments, on October 15, 2010 it was announced that The Hobbit was greenlit and that Peter Jackson is producing and directing the 2-part film project. Then, on October 27, 2010, it was announced that filming of The Hobbit is staying in New Zealand!
...October 27, 2012 finds us with the The Hobbit being expanded from 2 films into 3, we've just found out that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (film #1) has a running time of 2 hrs 40 mins.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2013, 12:54am

Post #3 of 7 (66 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never realized until today that The Hobbit ended on my birthday. I suspect that's something I'll remember for some time.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2013, 8:05am

Post #4 of 7 (51 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Rivendell does its magic
(not from the appendices)
..."For a while the hobbits continued to talk and think of the past journey and of the perils that lay ahead; but such was the virtue of the land of Rivendell that soon all fear and anxiety was lifted from their minds. The future, good or ill, was not forgotten, but ceased to have any power over the present."

October 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They reach Bree at nightfall.
(from the appendices)
..."'So it was that near the end of a wild and wet evening in the last days of October the five travellers rode up the climbing road and came to the South-gate of Bree. It was locked fast; and the rain blew in their faces, and in the darkening sky low clouds went hurrying by, and their hearts sank a little, for they had expected more welcome.
...When they had called many times, at last the Gate-keeper came out... ...He looked at them with fear and suspicion; but when he saw that Gandalf was there, and that his companions were hobbits, in spite of their strange gear, then he brightened and wished them welcome.
...'Come in!' he said unlocking the gate. 'We won't stay for news out here in the cold and the wet....'

......When they came to Bill Ferny's house they saw that the hedge there was tattered and unkempt, and the windows were all boarded up.
...'Do you think you killed him with that apple, Sam?' said Pippin.
...'I'm not so hopeful, Mr. Pippin,' said Sam. 'But I'd like to know what became of that poor pony. He's been on my mind many a time, and the wolves howling and all.'
...At last they came to The Prancing Pony... ...and there were lights behind the red curtains in the lower windows. They rang the bell, and Nob came to the door, and opened it a crack and peeped through; and when he saw them standing under the lamp he gave a cry of surprise.
...'Mr. Butterbur! Master!' he shouted. 'They've come back!'
...'Oh have they? I'll learn them,' ...and out he came with a rush, and he had a club in his hand. But when he saw who they were he stopped short, and the black scowl on his face changed to wonder and delight.
...'Nob, you wooly-pated ninny!' he cried. 'Can't you give old friends their names? You shouldn't go scaring me like that, with times as they are. Well, well! And where have you come from? I never expected to see any of you folk again, and that's a fact: going off into the Wild with that Strider, and all those Black Men about. But I'm right glad to see you, and none more than Gandalf. Come in! Come in...!'
...He led them down the passage to the parlour that they had used on that strange night more than a year ago; and they followed him, a little disquieted, for it seemed plain to them that old Barliman was putting a brave face on....

...'...You see, we're not used to such troubles; and the Rangers have all gone away, folk tell me. I don't think we've rightly understood till now what they did for us. For there's been worse than robbers about. Wolves were howling round the fences last winter. And there's dark shapes in the woods, dreadful things that makes the blood run cold to think of....'
...'...I expect it has,' said Gandalf. 'Nearly all lands have been disturbed these days... ...But cheer up, Barliman! You have been on the edge of very great troubles, and I am only glad to hear that you have not been deeper in. But better times are coming. Maybe, better than you remember. The Rangers have returned. We came back with them. And there is a king again, Barliman. He will soon be turning his mind this way....'
...'...Well, that sounds more hopeful, I'll allow,' said Butterbur. 'And it will be good for business, no doubt. So long as he lets Bree alone.'
...'He will,' said Gandalf. 'He knows it and loves it.'
...'Does he now? ...Though I'm sure I don't know why he should, sitting in his big chair up in his great castle, hundreds of miles away. And drinking wine out of a golden cup, I shouldn't wonder. What's The Pony to him, or mugs o' beer? Not but what my beers good, Gandalf. It's been uncommon good, since you came in the autumn of last year and put a good word on it. And that's been a comfort in trouble, I will say.'
...'Ah!' said Sam. 'But he says your beer is always good.'
...'He says?'
...'Of course he does. He's Strider. The chief of the Rangers. Haven't you got that into your head yet?'
...It went in at last, and Butterbur's face was a study in wonder. The eyes in his broad face grew round, and his mouth opened wide, and he gasped. 'Strider!' he exclaimed when he got back his breath. 'Him with a crown and all and a golden cup! Well, what are we coming to?'
...'Better times, for Bree at any rate,' said Gandalf.
...'I hope so, I'm sure,' said Butterbur.... '...Nob, you slowcoach!'
...'Nob!' he said to himself, slapping his forehead. 'Now what does that remind me of?'
...'Not another letter you've forgotten, I hope, Mr. Butterbur?' said Merry.
...'Now, now, Mr. Brandybuck, don't go reminding me of that! But there, you've broken my thought. Now where was I? Nob, stables, ah! that was it. I've something that belongs to you. If you recollect Bill Ferny and the horse-thieving: his pony as you bought, well, it's here. Come back all of itself, it did. But where it had been to you know better than me. It was as shaggy as an old dog and as lean as a clothes-rail, but it was alive. Nob's looked after it.'
...'What! My Bill?' cried Sam. 'Well, I was born lucky, whatever my gaffer may say. There's another wish come true! Where is he?' Sam would not go to bed until he had visited Bill in his stable."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2013, 8:12am

Post #5 of 7 (58 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so cool! Mine is the day after the Battle on Pelennor. I like yours better :D

Happy Birthday Meneldor! I hope it was fantastic!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 29 2013, 9:00am

Post #6 of 7 (57 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

From October 20th to 29th, Bilbo & Company have been sitting on the side of the mountain. So here's a bit of a repeat to get us into the headspace of what's going on.

Today in Middle-earth.

October 29, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Dwarves become more impatient waiting at the Hidden Door. (October 20-29)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...What is our burglar doing for us? Since he has got an invisible ring, and ought to be a specially excellent performer now, and I am beginning to think he might go through the Front Gate and spy things out a bit!"
...Bilbo heard this—the dwarves were on the rocks just above the enclosure where he was sitting—and "Good Gracious!" he thought, "so that is what they are beginning to think, is it? It is always poor me that has to get them out of their difficulties, at least since the wizard left. Whatever am I going to do? I might have known that something dreadful would happen to me in the end... ...That night he was very miserable and hardly slept."

October 29, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The hobbits rest in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)

October 29, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The company rests at the Prancing Pony.
(not from the appendices)
..."...Mr. Butterbur could not complain of his business next evening at any rate. Curiosity overcame all fears, and his house was crowded. For a while out of politeness the hobbits visited the Common Room in the evening and answered a good many questions. Bree memories being retentive, Frodo was asked many times if he had written his book.
...'Not yet... ...I am going home now to put my notes in order.' He promised to deal with the amazing events at Bree, and so give a bit of interest to a book that appeared likely to treat mostly of the remote and less important affairs 'away south'....Then one of the younger folk called for a song. But at that a hush fell, and he was frowned down, and the call was not repeated. Evidently there was no wish for any uncanny events in the Common Room again."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 9:25am

Post #7 of 7 (58 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

(A slight refresher)
[from Elrond's examination of the map of the Lonely Mountain] "He took it and gazed long at it... ...The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. He held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here, beside the plain runes..."
..."...What do they say?" asked Gandalf and Thorin together...
..."...Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks," read Elrond, "and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole..."

October 30, 2941 (S.R. 1341) Durin's Day
1. Bilbo finds and opens the Secret Door.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."[Bilbo] saw the orange ball of the sun sinking towards the level of his eyes. He went to the opening and there pale and faint was a thin new moon above the rim of Earth.
...At that very moment he heard a sharp crack behind him. There on the grey stone in the grass was an enormous thrush, nearly coal black, its pale yellow breast freckled with dark spots. Crack! It had caught a snail and was knocking it on the stone. Crack! Crack!
...Suddenly Bilbo understood. Forgetting all danger he stood on the ledge and hailed the dwarves, shouting and waving. Those that were nearest came tumbling over the rocks and as fast as they could along the ledge to him, wondering what on earth was the matter; the others shouted to be hauled up the ropes (except Bombur, of course: he was asleep).
...Quickly Bilbo explained. They all fell silent... ...The sun sank lower and lower, and their hopes fell. It sank into a belt of reddened cloud and disappeared. The dwarves groaned, but still Bilbo stood almost without moving. The little moon was dipping to the horizon. Evening was coming on.... ...when their hope was lowest a red ray of the sun escaped like a finger through a rent in the cloud. A gleam of light came straight through the opening into the bay and fell on the smooth rock-face. The old thrush, who had been watching from a high perch with beady eyes... ...gave a sudden trill. There was a loud crack. A flake of rock split from the wall and fell. A hole appeared suddenly about three feet from the ground.
...Quickly, trembling lest the chance should fade, the dwarves rushed to the rock and pushed—in vain.
..."The key! The key!" cried Bilbo. "Where is Thorin?"
...Thorin hurried up.
..."The key!" shouted Bilbo. "...that went with the map! Try it now while there is still time!"
...Then Thorin stepped up and drew the key on its chain from round his neck. He put it to the hole. It fitted and it turned! Snap! The gleam went out, the sun sank, the moon was gone, and evening sprang into the sky.
...Now they all pushed together, and slowly a part of the rock-wall gave way. Long straight cracks appeared and widened. A door five feet high and three broad was outlined, and slowly without a sound swung inwards....

2. Bilbo descends to Smaug's Cellar, steals a cup and returns.
..."...at last Thorin spoke:
..."Now is the time for our esteemed Mr. Baggins, who has proved himself a good companion on our long road, and a hobbit full of courage and resource far exceeding his size, and if I may say so possessed of good luck... ...now is the time for him to perform the service for which he was included in our Company; now is the time for him to earn his Reward...." ...Bilbo felt impatient.... ...and he knew what he was driving at.
..."If you mean you think it is my job to go into the secret passage first, O Thorin Thráin 's son Oakenshield, may your beard grow ever longer," he said crossly, "say so at once and have done! I might refuse. I have got you out of two messes already, which were hardly in the original bargain, so that I am... ...already owed some reward. But 'third time pays for all' as my father used to say, and somehow I don't think I shall refuse. Perhaps I have begun to trust my luck more that I used to in the old days... ...but anyway I think I will go and have a peep at once and get it over. Now who is coming with me?"
...He did not expect a chorus of volunteers, so he was not disappointed... ...except old Balin, the look-out man, who was rather fond of the hobbit. He said he would come inside at least and perhaps a bit of the way too, really to call for help if necessary...

......the hobbit crept through the enchanted door and stole into the Mountain... ...slipped on his ring, and warned by the echoes to take more than hobbit's care to make no sound, he crept noiselessly down, down, down into the dark. He was trembling with fear, but his little face was set and grim. Already he was a very different hobbit from the one that had run out without a pocket-handkerchief from Bag-End long ago.... ...He loosened his dagger in its sheath, tightened his belt, and went on.... ...till all sign of the door behind had faded away. He was altogether alone. Soon he thought it was beginning to feel warm. "Is that a kind of a glow I seem to see coming right ahead down there?" he thought.
...It was. As he went forward it grew... ...till there was no doubt about it. It was a red light steadily getting redder... ...Wisps of vapour floated up and past him and he began to sweat. A sound... ...began to throb in his ears, a sort of bubbling like the noise of a large pot galloping on the fire... ...This grew to be the unmistakable gurgling noise of some vast animal snoring in is sleep down there in the red glow in front of him.... ...Before him lies the great bottommost cellar or dungeon-hall of the ancient dwarves right at the Mountain's root.... ...rising from the near side of the rocky floor there is a great glow. The glow of Smaug!

...There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; a thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber. Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretching away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and unwrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light....

......To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There are no words left to express his staggerment... ...He gazed for what seemed an age, before drawn almost against his will, he stole from the shadow of the doorway, across the floor to the nearest edge of the mounds of treasure. Above him the sleeping dragon lay, a dire menace even in his sleep. He grasped a great two-handled cup, as heavy as he could carry, and cast one fearful eye upwards. Smaug stirred a wing, opened a claw, the rumble of his snoring changed its note.
...Then Bilbo fled.... "...I've done it! This will show them. 'More like a grocer than a burglar' indeed! Well, we'll hear no more of that...."
...Nor did he. Balin was overjoyed to see the hobbit again, and as delighted as he was surprised. He picked Bilbo up and carried him out into the open air.... ...Bilbo lay with his eyes shut, gasping and taking pleasure in the feel of the fresh air again and hardly noticing the excitement of the dwarves, or how they praised him and patted him on the back and put themselves and all their families for generations to come at his service.

...The dwarves were still passing the cup from hand to hand and talking delightedly of the recovery of their treasure, when suddenly a vast rumbling woke in the mountain underneath as if it was an old volcano that had made up its mind to start eruptions once again.... ...Smaug was still to be reckoned with. It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations...."

October 30, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They leave Bree.
(from the appendices)
..."The Bree folk were all out to see them off, and were in merrier mood than they had been for a year; and those who had not seen the strangers in all their gear before gaped with wonder at them: at Gandalf with his white beard, and the light that seemed to gleam from him... ...and at the four hobbits like riders upon errantry out of almost forgotten tales. Even those who had laughed at all the talk about the King began to think there might be some truth in it.
...'Well... ...good luck to your home-coming!' said Mr. Butterbur. 'I should have warned you before that all's not well in the Shire... ...Funny goings on, they say. But one thing drives out another, and I was full of my own troubles. But if I may be so bold, you've come back changed from your travels, and you look now like folk as can deal with troubles out of hand. I don't doubt you'll soon set all to rights. Good luck to you! And the oftener you come back the better I'll be pleased....'"

...'...I wonder what old Barliman was hinting at,' said Frodo.
...'I can guess some of it,' said Sam gloomily. 'What I saw in the Mirror: trees cut down and all, and my old gaffer turned out of the Row. I ought to have hurried back quicker....'

2. The 'Travellers' come to the Brandywine Bridge at dark.
(from the appendices)
..."It was after nightfall when, wet and tired, the travellers came at last to the Brandywine, and they found the way barred. At either end of the Bridge there was a great spiked gate; and on the further side of the river they could see that some new houses had been built: two-storeyed... ...bare and dimly lit, and very gloomy and un-Shirelike.
...They hammered on the outer gate and called, but there was at first no answer; and then... ...someone blew a horn, and the lights in the windows went out. A voice shouted in the dark:
...'Who's that? Be off! You can't come in. Can't you read the notice: No admittance between sundown and sunrise?'
...'Of course we can't read the notice in the dark,' Sam shouted back. 'And if hobbits of the Shire are to be kept out in the wet on a night like this, I'll tear down your notice when I find it.'

...... Merry and Pippin climbed the gate, and the hobbits fled. Another horn sounded. Out of the bigger house... ...a large heavy figure appeared....
...'...What's all this,' he snarled as he came forward. 'Gate-breaking? You clear out, or I'll break your filthy little necks!' Then he stopped, for he had caught the gleam of swords.
...'Bill Ferny,' said Merry, 'if you don't open that gate in ten seconds... ...I shall set steel to you... ...And when you have opened the gates you will go through them and never return. You are a ruffian and a highway-robber.'
...Bill Ferny flinched and shuffled to the gate and unlocked it. 'Give me the key!' said Merry. But the ruffian flung it at his head and then darted out into the darkness. As he passed the ponies one of them let fly with his heels and just caught him as he ran. He went off with a yelp into the night and was never heard of again.
...'Neat work, Bill,' said Sam..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.