Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
clothing in sci fi
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 6:40pm

Post #1 of 26 (304 views)
Shortcut
clothing in sci fi Can't Post

i must deduce that people in the future don't need to "use the facilities" often or ever, because of the predominance of full-body unitards, catsuits, jumpsuits, and body stockings.

it's especially puzzling in depictions of the military or other uniformed services, where (usually) utility gets taken into account.

so, we can look forward to a future in which we no longer need the loo, toilets restrooms, bathrooms, or powder rooms. hurrah!

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 7:11pm

Post #2 of 26 (219 views)
Shortcut
There are tiny teleportation devices [In reply to] Can't Post

discreetly located at certain bodily orifices that teleport away the waste as soon as it appears, so it need never bother you again.

That said, I think most sci-fi movie clothing looks awfully uncomfortable, and I wouldn't want to wear it.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 7:18pm

Post #3 of 26 (216 views)
Shortcut
Sounds delightful CG!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as long as the coordinates to which said waste is teleported, are a long long way away.
Re sci-fi clothing- I would imagine it being a bit fragrant and sweaty, since it appears to be mostly made of lycra- type materials!!FrownShocked

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 8:02pm

Post #4 of 26 (225 views)
Shortcut
Bill Theiss, costume designer for Star Trek TOS... [In reply to] Can't Post

... once said that all futuristic clothing that he had seen "designed" looked like long underwear.

He may have said pajamas, but you get the idea.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 8:12pm

Post #5 of 26 (210 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

The waste is teleported to a galaxy a long time ago and far, far away, which is the real reason why the Old Republic fell and Yoda sought refuge on an unknown planet--to get away from the stench.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 8:28pm

Post #6 of 26 (203 views)
Shortcut
Well..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did always wonder how the Death Star was fuelled and the REAL reason for Darth Vader's respiratorTongueFrownShockedEvil

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 9:19pm

Post #7 of 26 (207 views)
Shortcut
william ware theiss [In reply to] Can't Post

pioneered anti-gravity with many of his costumes for trek females.

i saw the trek costumes exhibit at the smithsonian. the materials were exceedingly cheap, but they sure did look good on camera.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 26 (207 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that. [In reply to] Can't Post

The look good on camera part. ;o)

Well, the rest also.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 9:30pm

Post #9 of 26 (199 views)
Shortcut
Anti-gravity clothing [In reply to] Can't Post

That gown from "Who Mourns for Adonais" was a classic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 10:00pm

Post #10 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
They don't need to... [In reply to] Can't Post

cause in the future there are flying cars, teleporters, smart space monkeys, androids and time travel. I'm sure they have 'purged' that process from human beings by then.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I was at a Star Trek convention once with William Shatner as a guest. [In reply to] Can't Post

And someone asked him what Captain Kirk did when he needed to "use the head."

He replied that he went down the hall to the men's room, same as the camera man did.

It was classic.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 12:19am

Post #12 of 26 (190 views)
Shortcut
Classic... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that Shatner guy.....cannot believe he is as old as he is....I keep thinking one of these days soon we'll be reading his obit some where. Cannot imagine the tribute shows for that guy.

@DonryFetor

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 26 2013, 1:02am

Post #13 of 26 (184 views)
Shortcut
He and Leonard Nimoy are just a couple months apart in age. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember who is older.

They're my mom's age.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 1:27am

Post #14 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yeah..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy they are both still kicking.....Nimoy clearly not as active publicly....I always favoured Spock in that series....but am extremely fond of Shatner. Would be weird yet somehow karmic to see them both pass on around the same time.

@DonryFetor

acheron
Gondor

Oct 26 2013, 3:34pm

Post #15 of 26 (161 views)
Shortcut
Theiss's theory [In reply to] Can't Post

was that the sexiness of clothing was proportional to the degree they looked like they were about to fall off. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 6:05pm

Post #16 of 26 (165 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm familiar with the theiss theorem. he and i disagree, however. : ) i think some of his costumes were fantastic for tos, but many were ridiculous, including the female star fleet mini-dress uniform.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 8:50pm

Post #17 of 26 (143 views)
Shortcut
I don't really have anything to add [In reply to] Can't Post

to this topic, but it seems like a good place to share a picture of Ann Francis.

Le sigh.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 27 2013, 12:46am

Post #18 of 26 (129 views)
Shortcut
I love those uniforms! [In reply to] Can't Post

*checks profile* Yep. You're female. ;o)

I think the network ordered those, BTW. The originalf emale uniforms were slacks, like the male ones.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 27 2013, 1:17am

Post #19 of 26 (132 views)
Shortcut
Gotta agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

on the mini-dress uniforms. I can kind of understand in TOS since that's what women were wearing at the time, but in TNG? Nope.

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 27 2013, 4:07am

Post #20 of 26 (116 views)
Shortcut
Maybe zipper technology has advanced [In reply to] Can't Post

to the point where invisible zippers are truly invisible?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2013, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 26 (106 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

As somebody who has lived in those things on occasion, I must agree.

Any diver who claims to never have pee-peed in their wetsuit is lying.

I kayak in my diveskin (a spandex full body sun&jellyfish-proof Highly Useful Suit) to avoid both sunburn (and the annyance of reapplying sunscreen to eternally wet skin)(as well as avoidinng the most annoying denizen of the Chesapeake Bay: the sea nettle). A "shore leave" moment is hastened by the need to peel, at warp speed, a whole lot of spandex while in a stinky dinky portapotti.

Let's hear it for good ol'pants.

Except in some situations (like being in or on water) loose clothing is annoying in the extreme, you want form-fitting. Even if your form is imperfect. On bikes or horses, loose clothing becomes not only annoying, but can lead to injuries when rubbing the wrong way or catching in moving parts of the thing you're on.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2013, 3:49pm

Post #22 of 26 (106 views)
Shortcut
Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

saw that exhibit too, and on close inspection, one realized just how LOW their budget was! (Is that Romulan tunic really a towel???)

On the other hand, they did a great job of making it look good on screen, and of writing good, relevant stories and having great characters.

For those of you who haven't seen the exhibit, it pointed out the relationship between the series and the 60s, how each influenced the other.

Go outside and play...

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 28 2013, 6:20am

Post #23 of 26 (85 views)
Shortcut
At least when you're diving you're already wet [In reply to] Can't Post

In space, everyone can see your pee.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2013, 1:46pm

Post #24 of 26 (74 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

ha ha haLaugh

Go outside and play...

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 2:24pm

Post #25 of 26 (81 views)
Shortcut
Mini-skirts were the least of TNGs problems. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I'm a TOS Trekkie (NOT Trekker) all the way.

AAMOF, I usually respond to references to other ST shows with, "What other Star Trek shows? There is only ONE Star Trek!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.