Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Now we're talking... The Hobbit DOS Fan Event - Hosted by PJ 11/4
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 54 (2025 views)
Shortcut
Now we're talking... The Hobbit DOS Fan Event - Hosted by PJ 11/4 Can't Post

The official Hobbit twitter account just posted this. (Though I suppose some of you won't like the poster Tongue) But new footage!

"Join Peter Jackson, the cast of #TheHobbit & @AndersonCooper for our #HobbitFanEvent on 11/4! http://www.thehobbit.com/fanevent/
http://pic.twitter.com/s2fS4jHOiN"

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
WORLDWIDE FAN EVENT
NOVEMBER 4, 2013
2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET
(and corresponding time zones around the world)

Meet New Stars Joining the Trilogy, Get an Exclusive First Look at
Footage from “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” and Participate in a Live Q&A
with Director Peter Jackson and the Cast

Host cities:

NEW YORK
AMC Lincoln Square
Featuring special host Anderson Cooper and cast members Richard Armitage and Orlando Bloom

LOS ANGELES
Pacific Theatres at the Grove
Featuring cast member Evangeline Lilly

LONDON
Odeon West End
Featuring cast members Andy Serkis, James Nesbitt, Lee Pace and Luke Evans

WELLINGTON
Embassy Theater
Featuring director Peter Jackson

Other participating theaters:

TORONTO
Cineplex Odeon Queensway Cinemas

MIAMI
Dolphin Theater

PARIS, FRANCE
Gaumont Pathe

ROME, ITALY
The Space Cinema Moderno

HAMBURG, GERMANY
Cinemaxx Hamburg Dammtor

BELGIUM, BRUSSELS
Kinepolis Brussels

MADRID, SPAIN
KINEPOLIS

MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
Cinepolis, Mexico City

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Hoyts Broadway

For information on how you can attend this event, visit
facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie or twitter.com/TheHobbitMovie

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Oct 25 2013, 8:06pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 54 (985 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will miss part of it as I'm just getting home from work but I hope I can make it into the event for a little bit.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 8:44pm

Post #3 of 54 (992 views)
Shortcut
More information from book Gandalf: dos events [In reply to] Can't Post

cinema event for the desolation of smaug! sounds interesting!

go check out pj's face book page for details!

https://www.facebook.com/...Z?hc_location=stream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 8:51pm

Post #4 of 54 (944 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Talk about promotion!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds awesome. And it's on a good day for me--good time, too. Hoping I don't lose my Internet connection like I did with the live event in March. AngelicAngelic

Btw: Anderson Cooper?! An interesting choice for a host. If he is a fan, I didn't know that. Neat, either way!

This is going to be fun! SmileSmile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 25 2013, 8:52pm)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Oct 25 2013, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 54 (901 views)
Shortcut
Ugh, Bloom Weariness [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would Legolas be front in the center in the mutha flippin' Hobbit?! It does make me mad. Really hope he's not on more than the elf king but I know the triumvirate's machinations too well by now.

And Anderson Cooper? Really dredging the bottom of the low ratings CNN news barrel. He's a political hack.

There, I vented. Crazy

Kim
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 54 (787 views)
Shortcut
OMG I'm so excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds great! Can't wait. Laugh

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 10:25pm

Post #7 of 54 (829 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch it on YouTube [In reply to] Can't Post

London includes Lee Pace and Luke Evans! Shame there's no Richard Armitage as well.

I think I'll opt to ignore the Los Angeles one.

Thank you for posting this.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 10:28pm

Post #8 of 54 (812 views)
Shortcut
If they handed out gold bars.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there'd be someone, somewhere who'd find something to moan about.

Is it so hard to just be pleased they're trying to do something special, while working their socks off to finish the film? Would you rather they didn't bother?

'Cos frankly, if I were them and saw a comment like yours, I wouldn't!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 10:32pm

Post #9 of 54 (820 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, because Heaven forbid anyone actually gives EL a chance. [In reply to] Can't Post

After all this, I'm really hoping she impresses in DoS, because the amount of disrespect she receives from people on this board is getting ridiculous.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Oct 25 2013, 10:33pm)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 10:35pm

Post #10 of 54 (785 views)
Shortcut
That's my thinking as well, dormouse. [In reply to] Can't Post

What on earth is wrong with Anderson Cooper?

You're right. Even if they handed out bars of gold and announced a $10,000,000 donation to some worthy charity during the event, people would still find something to be snarky about. PJ & Co. were under no obligation to do this for fans.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 10:36pm

Post #11 of 54 (772 views)
Shortcut
cooper [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a fan which is great. I think Stephen Colbert would have been better though. Colbert won the Tolkien-off with Philippa. He would have been awsome.

I dont' see the link to who is going to be at what venue. Is it posted somewhere?

Oops NVM I see it. D'oh! Blush

I wish Martin Freeman would do it. I know he really doesn't like the whole press junket promo thing. But he is The Hobbit and it just seems like without him participating it looses a little bit of lustre. Just my take. It's still awesome though and I'm glad they are doing it!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Oct 25 2013, 10:46pm)

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 25 2013, 10:43pm

Post #12 of 54 (784 views)
Shortcut
Not complaining but ....Ooh how I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

They would do this in some theaters!!! Every time I really want to see something my internet fails me!!! Frown
I know they stream some live shows (ballets, symphonies, etc) in some movie theaters and wouldn't it be sooooo cool if they did this in some!! More fans could participate and how cool would it be to see the actors / actresses on the big screen!! Smile
I for one would be there! Maybe one day! Smile until then I am going to have a stern talk with my internet...Wink

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 10:46pm

Post #13 of 54 (761 views)
Shortcut
for and against [In reply to] Can't Post

when i was in the hobbit originally , i never met a tauriel, i think that is the main issue some fans have with EL.

though the event is a nice thing for film fans, it is just celebrities talking about an adaption. i am more interested in how and why we are getting so many made up new characters and plots twists, there may be a mumakil in those theatres.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 10:46pm

Post #14 of 54 (716 views)
Shortcut
Mh [In reply to] Can't Post

So as I understand it, those that go to the cinemas will get to see some sort of sneakpeek-scene from the film while those watching the livestream will not?

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 10:47pm

Post #15 of 54 (744 views)
Shortcut
It is in some theatres.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just look at the list and see if there's one you can get to.... here

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 11:01pm

Post #16 of 54 (709 views)
Shortcut
In the U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 3 cinemas nationwide. I am glad for that don't get me wrong, I just wish they could have expanded it a bit as I really think they could have made some money off it. I would have gone to see it in a local cinema even if there were no cast members there. I would have watched the feed for sure.

When they did Trilogy Tuesday they pulled out the stops. It was the single biggest cinematic event ever. I hope they do something like that for TABA.

I will definitely be watching on the internet though. I just wish more cinemas had the capability and could stream it. That would have been cool.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

tolktolk
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 11:05pm

Post #17 of 54 (705 views)
Shortcut
Hi Ham Sammy [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Martin Freeman is unavailable to do this because he is committed to the Fargo TV series which starts shooting in Canada in ten days. Ian McKellen is also not taking part as he is doing a gala on Broadway that day.

http://onlymakebelieve.org/donate/2013gala/

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 11:06pm

Post #18 of 54 (691 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I just remembered that after I posted. Thanks for reminding me! You're absolutely right. Need to stay focused and all! :)

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:22pm

Post #19 of 54 (689 views)
Shortcut
Re Cooper...... [In reply to] Can't Post

well, for one thing, the interview with the Hobbit cast was one of the worst IMO of the many interviews, it got so thick with Cooper - was like watching Oprah - meh. Tho credit to the cast members who sat there politely and were not discussing the gay issue (No I don't care who is gay and who isn't, that's the point, wasn't watching the interview for that, and am sure most of the cast were bored out of their minds).

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:38pm

Post #20 of 54 (679 views)
Shortcut
I'm not getting this re tickets.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho more news coming, but aside from those lucky enough to be given tickets, and assuming there's a seating limit, what then? PJ says there'll be something special if "you show up at the theater", but is he talking about milling around outside if you don't have tickets?

Because I'm betting the demand is going to exceed the supply, easily.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 25 2013, 11:46pm

Post #21 of 54 (629 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

But I meant more local neighborhood theatersSmile
I think it is AMC they show some shows - not movie but theater/ symphonies / dance- at a couple of theaters in all the major cities of the US.
While we wouldn't be able to participate in the discussion we could still see in on the large screen and one doesn't have to worry about connection! Cool
I live in Houston so none of the listed are near meFrown And as a single mom of small kids I can't just up and leave to see it! ( much less afford it! Lol!)
So while I am thankful it is being done and some are able to see it...and those of us who can't ARE able to see it on YouTube ...it would just be cool/ fun if a larger portion of fans could participate in a special way! Cool

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Lio
Lorien

Oct 26 2013, 12:29am

Post #22 of 54 (622 views)
Shortcut
Tickets question [In reply to] Can't Post

This looks really cool! Cool

Is the only way to get tickets via the contests they'll be running, though? Or can you buy them? I haven't been able to find anything regarding the latter option so I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask just in case. Tongue

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 1:00am

Post #23 of 54 (587 views)
Shortcut
My feeling as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Im glad they are doing it and glad there is a fan based promotion like this. I just wish other cinemas could have been involved as I really think it would have been great promo. It may also have been that this was not planned until recently and not well in advance but who knows.

I too will watch online. I just wish I had a cinema option is all. Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 2:16am

Post #24 of 54 (590 views)
Shortcut
It's really not fair [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't even really seen her in action yet and everyone hates her just for existing. I wish people would just wait until the movie comes out before judging her so harshly.

I for one will stand up and say I'm looking forward to seeing EL in the live event and Tauriel in the movie because I think she's going to surprise people with how great she is!

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2013, 2:18am

Post #25 of 54 (567 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about time they started promoting this thing! I'll be watching it on YouTube.

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.